Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2012   #1
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Default soiless mix question

I live in a very rural area and have a question about a mix for starting my seed. What would be an acceptable one that could be purchased at Lowe's or HD? I definitely do not want to order this and have a expensive shipping charge. Maybe someone could suggest something I could buy and mix myself.
Thanks in advance.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #2
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

I used Jiffy Organic Seed Starting mix you can find there and it worked well for me. I think both places carry it. If you are doing a really large amount, I think some of the experts here could tell you what you need to make your own.

Brian
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #3
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to Home Depot if you want to see what is in it: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...rganic Organic
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I bought Burpee's Organic Seed Starting Mix at Lowe's. It comes in 6lb
bags, and it's made of coconut fiber. Maybe they have it at your lowe's.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #5
Nitusa
Tomatovillian™

I use a product from Lowes called Sta-Green flower and vegetable planting mix. 2 cubic feet is between $6 and $7 and sometimes on sale for around $5. Also, got a huge inexpensive bale of pete moss and some perlite. I mix about two thirds Sta-Green, one third pete moss, and throw in some perlite and that's my fairly inexpensive and long lasting seed starting mix.

I know there are more expensive seed starting mixes and several recipes for making your own, but mine has worked exceptionally well for everything and I can't imagine significantly better results from the more expensive products formulated for seed starting. I use this simple mix for seed starting and for potting up.
Nitusa is offline   Reply With Quote