Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 13, 2012   #1
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Default Waiting for seed sprouts...how long?

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times before, but I'll ask again since I didn't find my answer after a few searches. I started 50+ tomato seeds over nine days ago. Of those, it looks like about 15 have sprouted and will progress on to the next level. The rest remain dormant. I have the seeds on a heat mat, indoors, with a shop light running ~18 hours ON/day. The seeds are good and moist, setting in soil-less plugs that rest in a floating styrofoam "raft."

I'm wondering how long I should wait to see the loop of life before dropping in a 2nd seed? What's reasonable. I don't want to set on 35 or so duds for several weeks only to have to start the process over again with again uncertain results.

I'm trying to minimize dual/triple starts, as I have limited supply on many of my seeds this year -- lot of trades, shares, etc.

Thanks,
Naysen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-04_19-01-12_637.jpg (102.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-04_19-01-26_907.jpg (121.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-04_19-02-21_99.jpg (110.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-11_17-51-21_638.jpg (83.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-12_18-48-41_123.jpg (106.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by z_willus_d; February 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added pics
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #2
Goldie
Tomatovillian™

I have had tomatoes come up in as little as three days, and a few times a month, but average is about 6 or 7 days for me. Now I use Craig's dense planting method, and have great results with it. You don't need to use lights until they are up.
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #3
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

I am pretty much a rookie at this too, but I started some last week that germinated in 2 to 3 days on a heat mat set at 80 degrees. I wonder if the Styrofoam is insulating the soil from getting the full benefit of the heat mat. I think the temperature, variety and age of the seed could also contribute to a longer germination time.
Brian
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #4
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. I'm certain the seeds are nice and warm. I can touch the top of one of the plugs, and it's quite warm to the touch. The light warms from above as well, so we're around 70-80F in there. Some of my plugs/seeds that did sprout, did so in as little as 3-4 days. I'm not too keen on waiting a month to find out that I have dud seeds. I guess I'll just drop another seed into the plugs that are lifeless and hope it's not a systemic issue (some kind of damping off or fungus), but simply less than ideal seed sources.
-naysen
Old February 13, 2012   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Having tried one cell of more than 100 varieties at once, it's not a good sign if they're not up at 2 weeks. Some might pop up after that but if you want to have some from every variety and you have the seed, I'd drop some at a week to 9 days. Today is day 12 for a couple of mine and I've pretty much lost hope. JMO

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #6
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

What are your humidity levels in the container?
fischer1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #7
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Is that a bio dome?

Some for me usually pop up within 3 and then the majority in 5 days or so ....maybe a few stragglers in 8-10 but by then they are all peeping through unless I have some dud seed.
I have almost a 100% rate with the dome.

Might be time to drop in the second seed.

I don't put lights on them until they peek through.
Old February 13, 2012   #8
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Try using a probe-type meat thermometer to check the temperature at the level where the seeds are, which shouldn't be more than 1/4" below the surface. If the temperature is much over 80-85*F there, dial it back a little so the seeds don't get cooked.

If you planted the seeds more than 1/4" deep that could be part of the problem.

Just a thought for the 15 or so that have sprouted, they need to be a lot closer to the lights than the flat in your pics is. The lights shouldn't be more than an inch or two above the tops of the plants. For seeds that haven't sprouted yet it doesn't matter though.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Having tried one cell of more than 100 varieties at once, it's not a good sign if they're not up at 2 weeks. Some might pop up after that but if you want to have some from every variety and you have the seed, I'd drop some at a week to 9 days. Today is day 12 for a couple of mine and I've pretty much lost hope. JMO
Kath
Thanks Kath. It's past 9 days now, so I'll probably get in there tonight and introduce another set of seeds for those that haven't awoken.

BTW, I see this fuzzy white fur on the stems of some of the seedlings. It's concerning. Could it be the beneficial mycos, or bad stuff? Not sure...

-naysen
Old February 13, 2012   #10
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer1611 View Post
What are your humidity levels in the container?
I haven't dropped a meter in the dome yet. It seems quite humid in there, but that's the idea right? I don't think the seeds lack for humidity.
Old February 13, 2012   #11
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownDogHouse View Post
Is that a bio dome?

Some for me usually pop up within 3 and then the majority in 5 days or so ....maybe a few stragglers in 8-10 but by then they are all peeping through unless I have some dud seed.
I have almost a 100% rate with the dome.

Might be time to drop in the second seed.

I don't put lights on them until they peek through.
I got the seed starting kits from Gurney's. I like the concept of having styrofoam floating on a bath of water to keep the plugs correctly moisturized. Do you think there is any downside to having the light on the unsprouted seeds?
Thanks,
Naysen
Old February 13, 2012   #12
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
Try using a probe-type meat thermometer to check the temperature at the level where the seeds are, which shouldn't be more than 1/4" below the surface. If the temperature is much over 80-85*F there, dial it back a little so the seeds don't get cooked.
Good idea. I do have a good meat thermometer, so I will check the temp when I get in this evening. It's possible the temp could be above 80F. The light source is intense and does add some to the temperature.

Quote:
If you planted the seeds more than 1/4" deep that could be part of the problem.
These seeds were just dropped into the preformed hole in the plug, which is about 1/4 to 2/5" down from surface.

Quote:
Just a thought for the 15 or so that have sprouted, they need to be a lot closer to the lights than the flat in your pics is. The lights shouldn't be more than an inch or two above the tops of the plants. For seeds that haven't sprouted yet it doesn't matter though.
The lights are intense, and I actually just raised it some. These are T5 High Output and I can't imagine the seedlings are suffering for light. I'm worried about cooking them if the light gets much closer. I'll need to start a fan running pretty soon too.

Thanks, Naysen
Old February 13, 2012   #13
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the light will dry out the top part of the soil and prevent germination.
JMHO

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #14
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ok. It sounds like it's time to segregate the seed starting set from the seedling nursery. I was hoping the dome would help keep the seed soil-less surface good and moist, but perhaps not enough.
Thanks,
naysen
Old February 13, 2012   #15
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Do you think there is any downside to having the light on the unsprouted seeds?
Thanks,
Naysen
To be honest, I am far from an expert. I just haven't done it to mine before. However, it's all pretty much the same because once they peek through after a couple of days, I put the lights on them anyway so the ones that haven't sprouted are already getting light then. Kind of the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Ok. It sounds like it's time to segregate the seed starting set from the seedling nursery. I was hoping the dome would help keep the seed soil-less surface good and moist, but perhaps not enough.
Thanks,
naysen
If it is a spongelike material, it should be pulling up the correct amount. It always has for me.
Sorry I cannot be more help!
Brian