Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 12, 2012   #1
home_grown
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about starting seeds with capillary matting

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, starting seeds using capillary matting. I'm thinking about trying dense planting with 50 cell plugs like nctomatoman talks about but, instead of just the plug flats, I'm thinking of setting them over Permanest trays (which I know are bigger than standard flats, which would make them easier to water, I think) with humidity grids and capillary matting. Does anyone think this would be a good way for me to start my seeds??? It's been a couple of years since I've started any and I'm kind of afraid I might drown the poor little things if I set the plug flats directly into 1020s to keep my table dry. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
home_grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #2
frankkj
Tomatovillian™

I used the capillary mat setup that one of the garden supply companys used to sell. Problem I found was the the roots of the seedling grew into the mat if left too long. I seem to remember that other than that, it worked fairly well.

Frank
Old February 13, 2012   #3
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

I germinated mine without the capillary mat as I was using a heat mat to speed up the germination. I then added the capillary mat and put them under the fluorescent lights after that. That worked well for me last year also, I didn't have to worry about them drying out, just keeping the reservoir full.

Brian
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capillary mat , permanest tray , seed starting