Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2017   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Darin, I'm so sorry to read about your lost plants. Were they your only Dotson's Lebanese Hearts? (My 3 are chugging along, right on schedule for their May 15 plant-out. One goes in my garden & 2 will go to the local food bank. )

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #17
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

It kind of looks like glyphosate damage but it kind of doesn't. It would present as light patches in the middle of the leaves next to the stem over almost all of the plant especially ones that small. It would not cause twisting or thickening of the stems. It definitely would not be from a slight drift but maybe if it got a super concentrated dose it might look like that.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #18
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Darin, I'm so sorry to read about your lost plants. Were they your only Dotson's Lebanese Hearts? (My 3 are chugging along, right on schedule for their May 15 plant-out. One goes in my garden & 2 will go to the local food bank. )

Nan
Thanks Nan. My POS is growing right next to these, with no issues! I have three others growing in the ground, and are doing great. I'm doubly bummed because one of these affected plants was the mystery PL seedling that was from Dutch's DLH growout. I assumed a seed mixup, but who knows? I do know that so far, 30 people are growing it out and I haven't heard of another PL showing up- at least not yet..

D.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

No PL's here.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #20
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I bought some bagged compost at Menard's on clearance a few years ago, and that stuff was poison. It either had herbicide, or micro-nutrients were so out of whack that it might as well be poison.
cheapo vegetable compost from WalMart gave less than ideal results for me also.

D:
Sorry to hear some important ones went down. I've had terrible luck trying to get Rebel Yell to dance with me, I hope it doesn't start doing the same with you.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #21
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I took my leaves to an expert- and guess what? Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)!!! He asked if I smoked. I said no, but my wife does. He asked if she was close to the tomatoes when she smoked? I said, "yep, about 4 feet away and there is a heat pump fan that circulates air over toward the first three plants". So there you go. I will dispose of the dirt, bleach the container, and start over with some extra seedlings. And MOVE my containers across the driveway

Thanks to everyone's help on here!

Darin
Old April 24, 2017   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I took my leaves to an expert- and guess what? Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)!!! He asked if I smoked. I said no, but my wife does. He asked if she was close to the tomatoes when she smoked? I said, "yep, about 4 feet away and there is a heat pump fan that circulates air over toward the first three plants". So there you go. I will dispose of the dirt, bleach the container, and start over with some extra seedlings. And MOVE my containers across the driveway

Thanks to everyone's help on here!

Darin
The virus survived the fire in the cigarette and infected the plant ?
Most virus come with the seeds.

Quote:
The temperature at the burning end of a cigarette is about 900C during puffs, and about 400C between puffs.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The first picture looks like severe iron deficiency and the other two look like herbicide damage but could also be iron deficiency. If an iron deficiency is severe enough the new growth will go from pale green to yellow to white. In the final stage it is almost impossible for the plant to recover but with the first stage and sometimes the second and iron foliage spray will bring them back.

I guess the second and third could be tobacco mosaic virus but it really doesn't look like it to me as the damage seems to be only affecting the new growth and not most of the plant. That picture of the small plant with the pale leaves near the top looks like early iron deficiency. I keep a spray bottle with some chelated iron mixed in soapy water and when I see a plant showing the earliest signs of iron deficiency I spray the leaves with it for a few days in a row either very early or very late in the day. The leaves will usually darken back up in less than a week.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #24
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Good observation. But I'm not discounting tobacco that was unburned getting airborne and flying over there. Also, my son dips snuff, and works on his truck right next to the dead plants. He denies spitting or pouring spit juice in the three plants, but who knows.

TMV starts at the growth stem, and works down. That's exactly what's happening. The leaves are like rubber now. A total loss.
Old April 24, 2017   #25
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The first picture looks like severe iron deficiency and the other two look like herbicide damage but could also be iron deficiency. If an iron deficiency is severe enough the new growth will go from pale green to yellow to white. In the final stage it is almost impossible for the plant to recover but with the first stage and sometimes the second and iron foliage spray will bring them back.

I guess the second and third could be tobacco mosaic virus but it really doesn't look like it to me as the damage seems to be only affecting the new growth and not most of the plant. That picture of the small plant with the pale leaves near the top looks like early iron deficiency. I keep a spray bottle with some chelated iron mixed in soapy water and when I see a plant showing the earliest signs of iron deficiency I spray the leaves with it for a few days in a row either very early or very late in the day. The leaves will usually darken back up in less than a week.

Bill
Thanks Red- I wish I had known this a week earlier. I just added ferts as suggested on here. I took a leaf in, and the proprietor of this weed/feed store said it was TMV sure thing.

I used this soil on other plants too, in pots, with no issues. I thought it was strange how they went- 1, 2, and then 3- furthest away from the smoke.

Not all of the tobacco is combusted at the 400C burn line- many volatile compounds and viruses could be vaporized outside of this zone, and blown over to my plants. I really believe that's what happened.
Old April 24, 2017   #26
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to read about this, my husband smokes and I keep telling him to stop smoking in the backyard and stay away from the garden with dirty hands. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't smoke inside and outside is all he has so he has to pick and choose where to smoke. I tell him if he wants to smoke in the backyard to go on the other side of the house where the wind will take the smoke away from my garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #27
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
So sorry to read about this, my husband smokes and I keep telling him to stop smoking in the backyard and stay away from the garden with dirty hands. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't smoke inside and outside is all he has so he has to pick and choose where to smoke. I tell him if he wants to smoke in the backyard to go on the other side of the house where the wind will take the smoke away from my garden.
It's OK Rockporter- I smoked for 20 years, and I'm not blaming anyone in my family, but I really learned something today. You know, smoking has gone on for at least 3 years in that spot, but no issues with the plants. Maybe this years plants (DLH, and Rebel Yell) have no resistance to TMV! In the past, I've grown Big Zac, GGWT, Early Girl in those spots.... Live and learn! I've got an extra DLH from a friend, named "Lazarus", because his little stem broke. We taped it up, buried it in dirt, and he lives!!!
Old April 24, 2017   #28
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
It's OK Rockporter- I smoked for 20 years, and I'm not blaming anyone in my family, but I really learned something today. You know, smoking has gone on for at least 3 years in that spot, but no issues with the plants. Maybe this years plants (DLH, and Rebel Yell) have no resistance to TMV! In the past, I've grown Big Zac, GGWT, Early Girl in those spots.... Live and learn! I've got an extra DLH from a friend, named "Lazarus", because his little stem broke. We taped it up, buried it in dirt, and he lives!!!

Glad to hear it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #29
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I was just curious and googled.
Here is what I found, a tomato plant infected wit TMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tobacco-mosaic-virus.jpg (28.8 KB, 77 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #30
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

sorry for your loss of all that time and hard work.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote