Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 15, 2016   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Impatiens Downy Mildew

We have a shady spot in the front of our house between the driveway and sidewalk that goes to the front door. We've planted impatiens there for years and they do great. This year we planted like always--they never really took off and over the last couple weeks they basically shriveled up an died. After talking to a local greenhouse owner he mentioned impatiens downy mildew. We purchased some New Guinea impatiens which are not affected by this mildew and checked the couple dying remaining plants when we got home. Sure enough, that was the culprit. We like the flowers we planted a lot, but still will miss the regular impatiens we've had there for many years. Anyone else encounter this? It is supposedly a problem over much of the US (and I'm guessing elsewhere).

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...-in-landscape/
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear that you have been hit too. Yes it is a nationwide problem. I believe that it started in Florida in some greenhouses there and spread when the plants were shipped around the country.

I had the mildew 3 years ago. You are not supposed to replant impatiens in the same yard for 3 years. I will be trying them again next year. While I am waiting to re-grow this beloved plant I have had fibrous begonias in their place and have been using MycoGro and other such products in the areas where the impatiens once grew in order to try to suppress the pathogen. Part of the problem is is that the spores spread on the wind and will land in all of your other beds. I saw white drifts coming off my plants when I watered them. Once you are ready to try planting them again be sure not to purchase them from big box stores. Only buy them from local growers that start their own plants and are reputable.
Old July 15, 2016   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you have been hit too. Yes it is a nationwide problem. I believe that it started in Florida in some greenhouses there and spread when the plants were shipped around the country.

I had the mildew 3 years ago. You are not supposed to replant impatiens in the same yard for 3 years. I will be trying them again next year. While I am waiting to re-grow this beloved plant I have had fibrous begonias in their place and have been using MycoGro and other such products in the areas where the impatiens once grew in order to try to suppress the pathogen. Part of the problem is is that the spores spread on the wind and will land in all of your other beds. I saw white drifts coming off my plants when I watered them. Once you are ready to try planting them again be sure not to purchase them from big box stores. Only buy them from local growers that start their own plants and are reputable.
Thanks Patti, good luck reintroducing them. We have a local greenhouse that does all their own starts so I highly doubt it was from them. Most likely someone down the street had some infected plants and as you said it came in on the wind. We will enjoy trying some new things over the years and will eventually try them again.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote