Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 23, 2016   #16
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Our rattail radishes were sown at the same time as some regular, round red radishes. The red radishes are ready for harvest and I'm surprised the rattail are already growing tall and should have flowers opening this week, certainly selected for flower production, wow!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #17
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

The rattail sold by SSE does take awhile to produce. I also found the pod quality to be highly variable, and some became fibrous rather quickly. Madras had shorter, more succulent pods, and was exceptionally slow to develop fiber.

Other radishes I've grown that had better than average pods were White Icicle, and Russian White.

Radishes grown for pods can benefit from winter sowing, since those plants will bolt more quickly... bad if growing for roots, but good for getting earlier pods.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #18
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I had wild radishes that grew in the lower area of my acre in So Cal. I loved those tender green pods and so did my turkeys! Once the green weed grasses died, I fed them those as a 'green' part of their diet. I would love to grow them again. Where would I find Madras seeds?
Old June 2, 2016   #19
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

coronabarb this is where I bought mine https://www.bountifulgardens.org/products/VRA-5060
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #20
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermidnight View Post
jmsieglaff, the pods of Madras are more succulent and tender and the degree of hotness is just right for me. You know you are eating a radish but don't have to fan the flame,

Annette
We've tried our first rat tail (Baker Creek source). I see what you mean, those things have some heat! Our little guy was not pleased, we had let regular radishes go to seed and he loved them as did I. I think we may pull these and plant some regular radishes and let them go to seed.
Old June 8, 2016   #21
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A little update. The spicyness of the rat tails has been quite sporadic, some have a decent amount of zip, others not much at all. Boy are they prolific. The little guy has liked most of them and I'm enjoying them a lot too! Definitely will look for Madras seeds and grow them side-by-side next year for a taste off.
Old June 29, 2016   #22
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year growing the Rat-tail. They can get quite spicy, but they mellow quite a bit when pickled. They make really amazing kimchi as well as great mulkimchi (lactoferment that is not spicy). Pollinators adore the flowers, too, which go quite late and offer a food source to bees into fall.

The Madras sound intriguing, though, and better fresh eating for family members who don't love how hot the Rat-tail can be. Thanks for clueing me in to them. I'll give them a try next year if I can find seed.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #23
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We pickled 9 jars of rat tails. 4 spicy with hot peppers and 5 regular. They've been jars for about two weeks so it's time to pop the top and try them out. One lesson I learned we over planted the rat tails. A little goes A very long way as they produce like crazy.
Old June 29, 2016   #24
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
We pickled 9 jars of rat tails. 4 spicy with hot peppers and 5 regular. They've been jars for about two weeks so it's time to pop the top and try them out. One lesson I learned we over planted the rat tails. A little goes A very long way as they produce like crazy.
How many plants did you grow?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #25
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

These sound great, I think I'll. Try them in the fall.
Old July 1, 2016   #26
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
How many plants did you grow?
Probably a dozen. 3 or 4 would have been plenty for our needs, although the surplus was nice for pickling.