Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 14, 2016   #31
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

With sales tax Pro-Mix HP runs me $45 a bale, my single biggest garden expense.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #32
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Ok, not to beat a dead horse about the lime.. but why not. I found another half full bag in a container. Its in far better condition, so I took a pic. Sorry its sideways.

If you can't make out the brand its "Austinville Limestone".

Your numbers look good Pure Harvest. I have a wholesale acct., myself, setup with a supplier. Unforutunaly its over an hour drive to get to the supplier, so if im going, im going to spend some money. Their perlite is around $13. Oddly enough their peat moss is more expensive then just going to the big box store. Pays to shop around, even with a wholesale acct.

Rick Shaw - I couldn't fathom paying that for pro-mix. You really should just make your own.

On another note, Lowes has switched up the peat moss again. I went this morning to get 4 more bales, and its switched to another brand. On a positive note, I got more peat out of the bag. This time I got 7 1/2 5 gallon buckets, as opposed to the 6 1/2.

So clearly 3 cu.ft. is just a guesstimate. I know the best way to measure would be by weight, but that would entail scales, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160314_155703.jpg (393.5 KB, 74 views)
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #33
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
With sales tax Pro-Mix HP runs me $45 a bale, my single biggest garden expense.

Are you kidding? I pay about 22.50 for a bale of pro-mix. I buy about 25 bales a year. That is incredible. I would have to make my own if it was that expensive.
Old March 14, 2016   #34
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

And nowhere to buy it hardly, the chain HTG Supply has an outlet here and they're the same price, but I have to drive 25 miles. My local guy was $48, but he matched their price and he's around the block.

So yeah, unbelievable. I need a good garden center for a house container mix or the components. I've called a couple this week, it's like I'm talking Greek about pine bark fines. The fun is in the journey.
Old March 15, 2016   #35
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Ricky Shaw - To make the mix I make, requires a trip to Lowes to get a bale of Peat Moss and a bag of Lime Stone. Keep in mind the Lime will last a very long time. The big bag of Perlite comes from my local Hydroponic store.

Grant it, as Pure Harvest pointed out, its missing a fungicide and mycorrhizae. Any decent Hydro store could probably help you out with those. Being that you live in Co., im 1000% confident that you have a friendly Hydro store nearby, being Colorado's willingness to legalize certain plants..

You mentioned pine bark fines, so i assume your interested in something along the lines of of the infamous 5-1-1 mix? I was, once again, at Lowes yesterday and my store did have some "soil conditioner" that was about the right size. I have been considering that mix for herb transplants. The only change that I would make, being in the south, would be to make it more like 5-2-1 or 5-3-1 for slightly better water retention.

I have made a 5-1-1 mix in the past with not so good results. But I wouldn't mind giving it a second shot.
Old March 15, 2016   #36
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Thought I might update to the topic at hand. I got a bunch more tomatoes transplanted into the 7 gallon bags. I now have 88, 7 gallon bags transplanted. My greenhouse is 24 foot long, so by sitting the bags 4 deep, and rows 22 bags long.. the one side is FULL to the brim. Still have some more to do, as I still have some seedlings under the lights in the house. These are varieties I have never tried. They also got a late start, but ready to transplant. These include Polbig, Fletcher, Bella Rosa, BHN 444, Jetsetter, Better Bush, and Bush Champion II. These total about 25-30 more transplants.

While I was at it, I decided to transplant some Coleus into hanging baskets. I only did 4 baskets, as I want to make sure the transplant survive the move. I put 3 plugs into each basket. My main target customer is someone looking for a hanging basket to go into a shady spot, and requires very little attention. This ought to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160315_160706.jpg (359.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20160315_160748.jpg (486.3 KB, 63 views)
Old March 15, 2016   #37
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year for a predominately container gardening effort, and I've ripped out a bunch of raised beds. The ProMix HP struck me as having a higher probability of success for a container novice, but I'm certainly going to tinker with mixes in the months ahead. And you're right on the inoculant, Pro-Mix Mycorrhizae is $25 for a bag that does 650 plants. Seems reasonable as hydroponics go.

Thank you for outlining your work here, the details and pics are great.
Old March 15, 2016   #38
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

No problems on me giving the details and pics of how I do it. Im no expert by a long shot, but I do like sharing. And heck, someone might gleam a nugget of good information from my methods.

You mentioned you tore out raised beds? Can I ask why? I currently have 2, 4x12 and would like to build a few more. I like raised beds for beans, squash, zucchini, etc. At my previous home I had numerous raised beds and always did quite well with them.
Old March 15, 2016   #39
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Oaks, will you be moving your bags out of the high tunnel later this spring?
Or is it long enough the re-space them inside?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #40
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

These will we moved outside. Probably first week of April. Where those are setting is where the Kratky Hydroponic Cucumbers will go. I just use the Tunnel to get them ready to go outdoors once the night time temps have stabilized enough. Matter of fact, starting Fri. night until Tues. morning we are supposed to have over night temps in the high 30's. Brrr..
Old March 16, 2016   #41
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Gotcha
What fert do you use for kratky?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #42
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Gotcha
I would like to know as well
Old March 16, 2016   #43
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Pure Harvest - I just realized I didnt answer the second part of your question. You asked about spacing them out to grow in the tunnel? My High Tunnel/Green House/Hoop House or whatever you want to call it is 12x24. I suppose if you maybe cut it down to maybe 4 rows of 12, and grew them single stem up a string, it might work. But I think it would be an unmitigated disaster. Eventually im going to build another tunnel. Maybe 16 by 40.. something like that. I have about 4.5 acres of land, so finding a handy space is really no problem. I would keep my current tunnel as well. Its a gothic style, which I like much better then the same sized hoop. Few years back I had a 12x24 Quonset style hoop... virtually useless, unless everything is growing in the middle. Or maybe overwintering perennials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Gotcha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doss View Post
I would like to know as well
I ordered my fertilizer from Amazon. Urban Hydro was the seller. I know your going to ask what ratios, so ill edit that in, in a few minutes. MHPGardener on youtube is who I learned about Kratky from, so I need to find the video. Ill put that in, in just a minute.

Edit to add - for 5 gallons of fertilizer, 12 grams of calcium nitrate, 12 grams of tomato fertilizer, and 6 grams of Epsom salts. Stir it up, and let the plants enjoy. I used the same fertilizer for tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, and lettuce. It may have not been optimal, but it worked just dandy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160316_074732.jpg (422.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by FourOaks; March 16, 2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old March 16, 2016   #44
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Oaks,

I've kept 3 raised beds, 4x4 each, and removed 5 beds that were 4x8. Hundreds of considerations involved, but primarily, I wanted more control and I was going to use what I considered unsatisfactory growing soil from those beds to contour my backyard back to it's original,better draining grade. A couple of 4x8 beds will certainly work their way back, but for now I'm really liking the idea of containers and the ability to grow more plants in the same space.

Also, containers will give me some mobility, I can start earlier and move them to a poly greenhouse. Getting into July with healthy plants has been difficult for me, colder and wet Spring's that extend into June have become normal. The plants are stunted by the cool soil and weakened, they fade with July's blazing heat.

Just looking for a little control and hoping containers can help in some way.
Old March 16, 2016   #45
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Oaks,

I've kept 3 raised beds, 4x4 each, and removed 5 beds that were 4x8. Hundreds of considerations involved, but primarily, I wanted more control and I was going to use what I considered unsatisfactory growing soil from those beds to contour my backyard back to it's original,better draining grade. A couple of 4x8 beds will certainly work their way back, but for now I'm really liking the idea of containers and the ability to grow more plants in the same space.

Also, containers will give me some mobility, I can start earlier and move them to a poly greenhouse. Getting into July with healthy plants has been difficult for me, colder and wet Spring's that extend into June have become normal. The plants are stunted by the cool soil and weakened, they fade with July's blazing heat.

Just looking for a little control and hoping containers can help in some way.
All good reasons. One thing I plan this year myself, is too make something like a low tunnel over at least one raised bed. Im trying to get an earlier crop of beans. Once the summer heat kicks in.. its over for the beans, until fall.

I forget that some states like Co. have some crazy weather.