Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 28, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Saving Flowers ?

My original thought for the titles was, "Letting the Weeds Grow" but saving some living flowers is what I want to do. I want to transplant them into a pot/s.

Now, I will explain. A few weeks ago I found the reason our garden is growing stunted is because there are Root Knot Nematodes RKN in the main garden. I spent a week or so getting the tomato plants out and solarizing about half the garden. The other part of the garden I let grow however it wanted as I recovered from all the work.

This week, I started pulling failing plants and couldn't help but notice all the weeds growing. I started weeding and found these flowers growing. I'm pretty sure it is purslane. I didn't plant it.

Should I transplant it into a pot of potting mix? I am completely new to planting in containers. I have potting mix already for next years tomato potting up stage. Would that work or should I buy something different? The pots I have will hold at least 3 gallons of mix.

Here's some pictures. If I'm wrong about what it is - please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0046.JPG (102.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0047.JPG (94.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0048.JPG (86.2 KB, 65 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am not real good at flowers, but could it be one called "Moss Roses" or portulaca ( prob. sp wrong!)?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #3
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

You're both right. Portulaca oleracea, or purslane- I believe moss rose is a common name for one variety. The leaves look only slightly more like moss rose(more narrow than paddle like), but the flowers on my moss rose are more full and frilly. Those flowers look more like my plain purslane, more like only one layer of petals....they are gorgeous! I am sure they will transplant fine into the potting mix you have. I love these plants.

Some varieties of purslane are edible, but some are not. I believe moss rose is not. I love finding useful plants on my property!
Old June 28, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have grown Moss Rose many times. It has larger flowers though. The flowers on these plants are just under a half inch. 3/8 or 7/16" It's kind of funny, as a child and young adult, I called them Rose Moss.

Thank you, I'll give them a chance in potting mix.
Old June 30, 2016   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

No problem with transplanting to a container. You can even break off pieces and they root really fast. It also reseeds like crazy. You can let the seed pods implode or save them for later. If gathering seed, keep a bowl or cup right under the pod. Pod skins are thin and if it breaks open you'll have hundreds of teeny tiny seeds fall out everywhere.

clkingtx is right. Moss Rose is not edible and their are not many Purslanes that are edible. The one I had that was edible had fat leaves and a lot more rounded than what you have showing.

Very pretty!
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you all for the advice

I got them moved this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0049.JPG (93.9 KB, 44 views)
Old June 30, 2016   #7
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Looking really good!
Old July 3, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today, they look happy in their new home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0052.JPG (96.4 KB, 31 views)
Old July 6, 2016   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

They look lovely Robert. Well done.