Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 30, 2018   #46
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post

Funny you would mention the "Jiffy Seed Starting Mix". Yours looks like its perlite heavy. Couple weeks ago I bought a bag in a pinch. Normally I just make my own, but with snow and ice, everything was frozen solid in the Greenhouse.

Anyways.. there wasnt a lick of perlite in it. All peat and vermiculite. The bag I bought was the Yellow Bag, 12 quarts.

Jiffy is too fine. As a matter of fact I don't like any seed starting mix I have purchased so far. it is all too fine. I use it to top dress a flat with regular baccto in it... mixed with coarse perlite and osmocote.
Old January 30, 2018   #47
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Jiffy is too fine. As a matter of fact I don't like any seed starting mix I have purchased so far. it is all too fine. I use it to top dress a flat with regular baccto in it... mixed with coarse perlite and osmocote.
Its certainly "fine". Thats for darn sure. But with your method of topping with it, seems reasonable.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #48
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Those are nice seedlings, r_g. Lordy, the Baccto is 50lbs for 6.99? They would loose money shipping it to me.

I have some left over bags of Jiffy and Burpee Coir that I hope to use up this year. I always add perlite so it doesn't compact on the bottom over time.

What do you think of the coco ball Grow!t instead of perlite. I'm trying to keep breathing in a mess to a minimum this year. Would that work with when using peat? It is typically for hydroponics.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #49
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Those are nice seedlings, r_g. Lordy, the Baccto is 50lbs for 6.99? They would loose money shipping it to me.

I have some left over bags of Jiffy and Burpee Coir that I hope to use up this year. I always add perlite so it doesn't compact on the bottom over time.

What do you think of the coco ball Grow!t instead of perlite. I'm trying to keep breathing in a mess to a minimum this year. Would that work with when using peat? It is typically for hydroponics.

- Lisa
If you have a big tub cut the bale in half (just slice the plastic and break it then) and gently put whatever you can break off into a tub. then water it with hot water if you have it available and add a bit of dishsoap to cut the tension of the water so it absorbs in. let it sit for a little while. that will cut down the dust while trying to break it up. if you put in too much water and it is too wet add some more dry mix to it.
Old January 31, 2018   #50
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you have a big tub cut the bale in half (just slice the plastic and break it then) and gently put whatever you can break off into a tub. then water it with hot water if you have it available and add a bit of dishsoap to cut the tension of the water so it absorbs in. let it sit for a little while. that will cut down the dust while trying to break it up. if you put in too much water and it is too wet add some more dry mix to it.
So it is true? I know in the past I have read that "soap" is a surfactant, but didnt know anyone who used it with real world results.

I believe the recommended ratio is something like 1 ounce of soap to 1 bale of peat/mix? Does this sound about right?

Any particular soap? I have heard Baby Soap or Dish Soap is ideal.
Old February 22, 2018   #51
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Here's the update on using the plug tray. Other than having to be careful watering it works good. I just set it in a cafeteria tray and bottom watered when it needed it. I didn't plant every cell, I skipped a cell and then alternated the next row and again skipped a cell. To my amazement, they popped right out using a chop stick to push it up from the bottom and the rootball stayed in tack. These were so easy to transplant too, fill a pot, punch a hole with your finger and drop in. They only thing that would make this easier is having the tool to pop the plants out of the tray.

These are Big Mustard Mama and 7 Pot Primo peppers. They have a cute little root ball and I think they should explode with growth after this transplant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1658.JPG (366.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1657.JPG (417.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1659.JPG (358.8 KB, 54 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #52
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Once you get used to the 512 trays, you realize just how much space you can save, which certainly opens additional doors. I like the idea of plugs because you know how many plants you have there. Unlike with mass sowing.

About an hour ago I had to decide between the 512 and the 84. Choices choices.

Glad they are working out for you.
Old February 22, 2018   #53
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

HAHA!!! on the saving space. You can overdo it really easy with those trays. Plant 512, they come up and then it's time to transplant which turns into 14 flats of 6 paks. You better plan ahead for space.. I'm about to make another seedling area, again!!
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #54
bower
Tomatovillian™

The peppers look great! Those are not the same trays we used for basil, yours are about 2X deeper. Haha too many peppers...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #55
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I use 288 cell trays. The cells are 3/4" X 3/4" X 1 1/2" deep. They work great for dwarfs and micros - a little cramped for full-size indeterminates - but OK if you pot them up early enough.

Like some earlier said - you know exactly how many plants you have to pick from - and it is easy to keep track of what is in which row.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #56
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
So it is true? I know in the past I have read that "soap" is a surfactant, but didnt know anyone who used it with real world results.

I believe the recommended ratio is something like 1 ounce of soap to 1 bale of peat/mix? Does this sound about right?

Any particular soap? I have heard Baby Soap or Dish Soap is ideal.
Sorry, I didn't see this I guess! I actually use dawn and just squirt the soap right on the bale then water it. it might depend on your water. I have pretty hard water. I squirt a few lines back and forth and just water. if you have hot water it will wet better than cold water, too.
Old February 23, 2018   #57
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see this I guess! I actually use dawn and just squirt the soap right on the bale then water it. it might depend on your water. I have pretty hard water. I squirt a few lines back and forth and just water. if you have hot water it will wet better than cold water, too.
Oh, I forgot this myself.

I had heard about using Liquid Soap, but didnt know anybody who actually practiced that.

We have well water here, which is pretty soft.
Old February 23, 2018   #58
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

mine it 17 grains. very hard for well water and it has iron in it. I have to filter for that also.
Old February 23, 2018   #59
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

I have used a teaspoon or tablespoon from the kitchen to get seedlings out of the trays.

Just don't let your spouse know.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #60
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHaskins View Post
I have used a teaspoon or tablespoon from the kitchen to get seedlings out of the trays.

Just don't let your spouse know.
My spouse would just buy me a new one. He doesn't care what I use. I just happened to take this picture last night...look close.IMG_20180223_191851.jpg

Sorry it's a bit on the blurry side. It was dark when i took the photo.