Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 25, 2007   #31
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

We were waiting for you to get here. I feel the same way when I see members with 100 varieties they are growing. It's a little intimidating. But everyone here has been so nice and really helpful.

Thanks for the dahlia offer, but I don't grow them at all. I don't grow glads either because I have to dig and store them. Are you going to have to store the dahlia tubers over the winter?

Spiney Bear's Breeches is Agapanthus, isn't it? I should know that. (Duh!)
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #32
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

Agapanthus is lily-of-the-nile... here's a pic

I grow a dwarf variety, in antique containers (one of which I broke last fall ) so I can take them in for winter. I suppose I will have to dig up the dahlias, although I've had some luck not digging the glads, and they usually come back. The spiny bear's breeches is acanthus... I will ask around for seeds for you, though!
Old March 28, 2007   #33
mwbrown
Tomatovillian™

For those of you who love daylillies, here is an interesting site.

http://www.bobscottnursery.com/

Mike

Last edited by mwbrown; March 28, 2007 at 12:07 PM.
mwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2007   #34
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

Mike recommended a gem of a site there... I'm still browsing through it. For those of you in the Northern VA area, here's a really great place for daylilies, hostas and azaleas. They're only open to the public a few weeks out of the year, but they are definitely worth the trip. Beautiful grounds, very helpful and friendly owners and staff....

http://www.longmountainnursery.com/
Old March 29, 2007   #35
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Default Lilacs

I received an email today from a company that is selling an ever blooming or continuous blooming lilac. My wife is interested in one but I had already deleted the email. Did anyone else get the same email or know where I can purchase such an animal?
Old April 11, 2007   #36
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

My favorites are scented flowers. Lilacs, sweet-peas, lilacs, freesia and did I mention lilacs.

Wilderness, or anybody with info on an everblooming lilac please let me know. Although it would take away from there spring tradition I could handle having some all summer.

I grow lilacs for sale and should write a book about the stories I here of people's childhood, parents, grandparents and hometown memories. Tears and gasps are very common.

LILACSLILACSLILACSLILACSLILACSLILACS
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #37
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful! Lilacs are so easy to propagate by cuttings. It's special to be able to share a favorite with someone special. I've received cuttings from a dear (elderly) friend that I cherish (the friend and the lilacs!!!).
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #38
claire signal
Tomatovillian™

why is nobody talking fuschias here? I am addicted to them but they are starting to take over!
claire signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #39
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default REPLY

Hey I am new to starting flowers from seed this spring. I just planted marigolds, sweet peas, and some wildflower mixes. Am also going to start Alaska Shasta daisy. I have started lavender as well. I usually buy Patunias and what ever else the big box store has but this year I thought I would start my own and save some money. Now I am trying some cooler flowers by cutting back
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2009   #40
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures!!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2009   #41
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

LOVE lilacs too. They are my Moms favorite sp everytime I pass a bush while driving, I think of Mom

But I just can't grow them. Don't know why but I've always had problems with them.

Greg

My favorite smelling flower are Peonies! My favorite smell by far!! That and the smell of little tomato plants as you transplant them
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote