Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 14, 2007   #1
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default Waking up old hollyhock seeds

I have some old hollyhock seeds from Abundant Life Seeds before the fire that destroyed so much. (I think I am remembering that correctly). If not, please forgive me. Anyway. I have planted them several times and never gotten a plant. Would soaking them just as we do old tomato seeds be the way to revive them? I would like to see what they are like. The old ALS catalogue describes them as a small, white flowered hollyhock from Mt. Carmel, which suggests to me that they came from Israel. Or at least, it's where they were grown at one time. The AL people could not give me any more information than what was in their catalogue. Thanks.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinpnw View Post
I have some old hollyhock seeds from Abundant Life Seeds before the fire that destroyed so much. (I think I am remembering that correctly). If not, please forgive me. Anyway. I have planted them several times and never gotten a plant. Would soaking them just as we do old tomato seeds be the way to revive them?
You could try it, I suppose. Nothing to lose. I could be wrong, but hollyhock seeds just don't seem to have good long-term viability. I have a bunch of seeds saved from about six years ago that I used last year (successfully) to grow some more plants. They've been stored under acceptable conditions, but wouldn't germinate for me this year.

Maybe Carolyn knows more about this, as I think she used to like to grow hollyhocks.

Do you know how old the seeds are?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Mary, I grew those same Mt Carmel hollyhocks from AL and I wasn't at all impressed aside from the suggested religious connection, if you know what I mean.

I still perpetuate my grandmothers old hollyhocks and the best thing to do is to just harvest the seed pods in the Fall, break apart that ring structure into individual seeds and scatter them and rake them in that same Fall.

So I'd suggest that they might need to be sown outside over the winter.

How cold does it get where you are?
Old November 21, 2007   #4
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Shows you how often I come to the flower section of this board. I had forgotten I had asked this. Carolyn, coldest it gets here is usually the 30sF. It can get into the 20s F and even the teens, but that is extremely rare. I think the last time it got that cold was in 1998. Ground rarely freezes, beyond the first inch of soil, and that for not very long. Can't remember the age of the seed. Too bad you didn't like it better, but since I have it, I'd like to try it. Will have to winter sow in some of my best compost and see what happens.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2008   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I'm adding my observations: I sowed 2 "winter sow" jugs of hollyhocks. One was new seed ordered for this growing season. The other was older, maybe several years but no more than that. Hubby brought in all my flats the other day when I asked him to bring in my STARTED stuff (collards, broc, cabbage, etc). Course, I didn't mean those things but can't complain for free labor Anyway, they sat in the basement because while I put the others under lights, I kinda forgot my winter sow stuff. The new hollyhock seed has sprouted like crazy and the other did not. Hopefully the other is just slower and will eventually germinate. I can't wait to see these, they are called Apple Blossom and looked beautiful in the catalog!!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2008   #6
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've had some success with seeds tthat were as old as 8 yrs. I soaked them overnight in tea before planting them in potting mix. Probably as much as 75% germination on 2 different occasions. Both were old heirloom varieties - but not a clue which since I got them at the Doon Heritage Crossroads Museums' Mennonite Farmhouse Garden, back in the mid 90's. One of them seems to be a perennial, rather than a biannual.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2009   #7
Pappabell
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes,Planting in the fall outside is a natural and great way to do it.Also starting in a APS unit from gardnerssupply.com in early spring works great also.
Pappabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2009   #8
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Since you brought this back up to the top, Pappabell; the best way I've "wakened" up old Hollyhock seeds is by soaking them overnight in 1/2 warm water, 1/2 peroxide solution (3%- normal household peroxide.) Remove them from the soak water (8- 24 hours) save this water and use this water on top of the soil; make sure your soil is very, very wet. Then plant them in a big enough plastic bag 3/4 full with sphagnum peat moss (on TOP) of the soil. (6 seeds per gallon bag.) (1 gallon zippy bags are good.)

Don't forget to put 4 holes at the bottom of the bag. Seal the bag up, then put them out in the cold or refrigerate them for 2 weeks. If you can't do either; then put a tray (or 2) of ice cubes on top of the seeds that you've sown (which should be on top of the soil also.) Don't forget the tray on the bottom to catch the excess water. Clean and washed styrofoam trays from meat packages is what I use for this method.

Then when you remove them from the fridge (2 weeks time) you can put them in a sunny window; as they need light to germinate. You can also put them outside if it's warmer than 37 degrees F.

When you see them germinate or if it's too warm; open the bag up or they may die. Germination should be 14- 30 days. You CAN transplant them while they are very young- 4 true leaves.