Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 6, 2009   #1
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing tomatoes in Austin, TX

First I would like to thank one of the members here (Bill, also known as hoosiercherokee) who generously offered me tomato seeds and directed me here. Secondly thanks to other people who sent me seeds. Lots of familiar IDs here. This is a great forum with tons of tomato information. Talk about tomato seeds addiction only after two years of trying growing them! I found so many texans here too! How-dy!

I am using nctomatoman's dense planting method to start my tomato seeds. I put about 10-30 seeds in each 4 inch cell two weeks ago and they are all out. I don't have a green house or lights set up in garage yet. I put them outside everyday (~sunny 70C). Is it OK to leave those young babies outside at night now? (40-50C nowadays in Austin). They don't have true leaves yet.

I also had problem to grow brandywine last year. 7 feet plants with flowers but no fruits in May-June. Any Austinites have similar or different experience? Should I try them again? Does KB and KBX work here? My favorite is cherokee purple which are very productive and flavorable. So I have great hope to their relatives--Cherokee green, Indian stripe, and JP's C spec Tex this year. I would like to grow large tomatos (1lb plus) which are easy to pick and three cherries (black cherry, sungold, sweet 10^6). Almost no mediums.

Thanks for sharing your tomato growing experience. Sorry for the first long post.
newgardener_tx
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote