Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 30, 2013   #1
fredx
Tomatovillian™

Default Buying plants

Are there any good sources for buying starter plants??

Will try growing from seed next year

Thanks
fredx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to T'ville, Fred. Selected Plants and Cross Country Nurseries are 2 that I know of who sell great selections of plants.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #3
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some (ok, alot) of tomatoes and peppers from Cross Country Nurseries this year after hearing a lot of great reviews. My plants should arrive this week. The site is http://www.chileplants.com/
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #4
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Most of your local nurseries will have tomato plants for sale. You can place a call to them and ask what they have available or you can check out a Lowe's. Lowe's will sometimes have some heirloom varieties along with hybrids.
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #5
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I'd second the idea of supporting your local nursery. My experience of plants from big box stores has not been good. I gave up on Lowe's when the specific varieties I picked out all turned out to be nondescript cherries.

If I were to order plants this year, I would try the clones offered here, nice selection.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #6
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I tried Lowes and Home Depot, and found the selection ok but not exciting. And overpriced. Walmart had much bigger, cheaper plants, but also not exciting types.

The most obvious "local nurseries" had lots of grass and shrubberies, but few tomatoes. Worth checking, but kind of disappointing. Those are the ones that put out flyers in the mail.

This year, I finally found a place that seems like what other people are talking about when they say "local nursery". I basically googled "native plant nursery" in google maps and started visiting websites until I found one that looked promising. Specializing in natives seems to be a good sign.

I also scored some nice plants by following a local pick-your-own vendor home from the farmer's market. Not really, I just felt like dropping by after seeing their booth at the market, and they had a ton of pepper and tomato plants outside.

I prefer to buy locally, but if it comes down to driving to the nearest big city vs ordering online, I'll probably order online.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Some people here sell their own heirloom tomato plants via craigslist- that might work for you.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Farmers' markets are a good place to look. I found a new vendor who sells a huge variety of tomato seedlings at one of the local farmers' markets. Among others, I bought Black Vernissage, Portuguese Monster, and Bread and Salt.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Farmers' markets are a good place to look.
I agree. I sell plants at my local farmer's market. Once a year or so I will put up a craigslist ad as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to Tville Fred.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #11
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I don't care much for the plants at large chains like Lowes, Home Depot or Wal Mart. I prefer the ones sold at local nurseries. They're more likely to carry plants and tomatoes that grow well for your area, not to mention heirlooms and more unusual varieties. I had very good luck and an excellent selection at a local nursery near me, I stopped shopping at other places altogether.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #12
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I would also suggest you try a search on Craigs List. You just might find that great local supplier you need.

Welcome to TVille!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You might call the extension office of your local university. They would know of master gardener plant sales in your area. They can also direct you to farmers markets. Lots of good advice from those folks too.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #14
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

The ones at the local Lowes and HD are good when they arrive. The care after delivery is variable. Bonnie is usually the supplier and they offer good transplants and lately, a great deal of variety. I grow my own but I always want to see what is being offered. Like the others here, I would recommend a local nursery if you can't grow your own. But in a pinch, you can get a 4 or 6 or 9 pack from the big chains and still have so much better fruit than store bought.

Edit: I don't recommend the larger potted plants. The smallest size is best, don't be fooled by the gallon pot with 3 tomatoes already set. It is a BAD sign of stress and that it rushed to seed.

Last edited by OldHondaNut; May 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #15
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

Our local greenhouse has a wide variety of veg plants including many heirloom varieties, and they sell the 3.5 inch pots for $1 each. They are a huge operation ( sunrise farms south of Chicago).
After investing in starting supplies I'm wondering if it made financial sense, but I hope that it may pay for itself if we can stay away next year.
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote