Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2014   #31
joseph
Tomatovillian™

So far this year I have found two cultivars and one (possibly hybridized) plant which have the trait of open anther cones and exerted stigmas. They should be very susceptible to cross pollination. It is very early in my tomato flowering season, and frost is expected soon, so I'll watch for more.

Here's photos of what some of the flowers looked like:

Croatian Brandywine: The person that sent it to me said, "The bees were all over this last summer". I can understand why...

DX 52-12. An almost heirloom local variety that was developed specifically for my valley by Alvin Hamson for the Campbell's Soup Company. Alvin taught me to prune apple trees when I was a teenager. I am thrilled that this great variety has a good start towards the traits I am looking for. It is a Moscow type tomato.

An off-type plant that showed up in the Matina row. I suspect it of being a natural hybrid.

Typical Flower on a modern industrial cultivar. All closed up so that the bees are not interested and even if they were it would be hard to achieve cross-pollination. Even the flower petals are pointed in a direction to discourage approach by insects.

Last edited by joseph; July 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #32
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Bumble bees as Tomato pollinators? Which is why commercial greenhouse operators buy in lots of bumble bee nests just for this purpose, mainly from Holland.
Quite a bit industry breeding and making Bumble bees for sale for greenhouse pollination.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #33
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Joseph,

I thought of you this afternoon when I spotted a bumblebee on my tomato flowers. When I checked the label, it was Fish Lake Oxheart that he liked .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #34
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Linda: Thanks, adding "Fish Lake Oxheart" to my list of tomatoes to pay closer attention to.
Old August 3, 2014   #35
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I've been watching bumblebees in the tomato patch this summer. Jagodka has continued to be very attractive to them, and I have identified a couple other cultivars or F1 hybrids that they adore.

I have been going through the motions of making crosses between Jagodka and other cultivars that have open anther cones, or split anther cones, or exerted stigmas, or that are highly attractive to bumblebees. About half of the fruits are swelling as if they got pollinated. In all cases I am using Jagodka as the pollen donor. Additionally, some of the Jagodka plants seem to be somewhat different phenotypes than the others. I'm intending to save seed from them as a separate population. The differences are showing up as plants that grow upright instead of flat against the ground, and different sized fruit, and different colored fruit while green, and different shaped fruit, and different leaf sizes, and different maturity dates. I acknowledge that there may be some subtle environmental influences that can modify phenotype, but I do the best I can. Jagodka last year was also highly attractive to bumblebees so perhaps some natural crosses are showing up.

Old August 3, 2014   #36
kath
Tomatovillian™

As a result of reading this thread, I've been watching for bees around the tomato plants this year. There was a definite lack of bumblebees and honeybees until the curcurbits began flowering and we've had lots since then. The only tomato flowers that I've seen being visited are the Sungold's, but I'll post again if I see bees on any of the others, which are all open pollinated.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2014   #37
bower
Tomatovillian™

Those are great bumble pix, Joseph.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2014   #38
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Good thing that digital film is cheap. I sure take a lot of really bad pictures to get a few good ones...
Old August 3, 2014   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Good thing that digital film is cheap. I sure take a lot of really bad pictures to get a few good ones...
I still see people being conservative with digital film.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2014   #40
spuriousmonkey
Tomatovillian™

There are hardly bees here up north. Can't even remember the last time I have seen a bee. But bumblebees were buzzing around my tomato plants until this week. Now they are more rare again. I think they found some better plants now.
spuriousmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2014   #41
bower
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, I haven't seen any bees on the tomato row in my garden, but I was tying up plants in my mother's garden today, and there were bumblebees around them. This little row had two Chernomors, two Zolotoe Serdtse and one cherry tomato. The bees were all over Chernomor and digging into ZS as well, but totally skirted the cherry tomato which of course has the tight anther cone labeled 'industrial' in your photo. The plants had become pretty tangled together, but the bees seemed to survey from a foot or two above, swooping by and rejecting the cherry tom before settling on one of the others. The only bees I've seen near my F2 cherry row have just zipped by without hesitatiion...

Just what you would have predicted, I guess! I told her she should save seeds and start a landrace....
Old August 4, 2014   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to suggest that those of you talking about bumble bees and other pollinators read post # 15 that I just posted in the starting from seed Forum

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=426235

I think you'll be surpised at a lot of what's said in the two links I gave, especially the second link as to the pros and cons of pollinators, which crops they prefer and why and be sure to read the section on tomatoes as well.

Carolyn
Old August 5, 2014   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reminder Carolyn.

I have to add that, as soon as I posted, the bumblebees made a liar out of me. I went out to check fruit that are ripening on my row of F2 cherries this morning, and there they were, diligently doing their business. Later in the day, I saw them at it again. Maybe because the prevailing wind changed last night, I really don't know.

In any case, I'll be sticking to the seed from plants in the greenhouse, if I want to be certain they are not cross pollinated.
Old August 5, 2014   #44
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I've had bumbles visiting my tomato plants regularly, especially since the white clover patch is spent. I have oxhearts, Black Krim and Stupice in the same bed and the bees visit them all. Even the leftover tom plants in containers get attention. I do have some upright oregano(not marjoram, which I do know honey bees like) in a pot that is covered with some kind of bees that I thought were sweat bees, but if they are supposed to be tiny, that's not them. These bees are slender and dark, about half the size of a honey bee. I'll have to do more ID searching.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
I've had bumbles visiting my tomato plants regularly, especially since the white clover patch is spent. I have oxhearts, Black Krim and Stupice in the same bed and the bees visit them all. Even the leftover tom plants in containers get attention. I do have some upright oregano(not marjoram, which I do know honey bees like) in a pot that is covered with some kind of bees that I thought were sweat bees, but if they are supposed to be tiny, that's not them. These bees are slender and dark, about half the size of a honey bee. I'll have to do more ID searching.
Sounds like it may be a carpenter bee.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumblebee , cross pollination , crossing , jagodka , pollinators