Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 8, 2006   #1
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Default Yet another July garden (pic heavy!)

I went out there just to take a picture of the planet's ugliest Cherokee Purple, and wound up going nuts with the camera.

Scads of Sungolds:

One butt-ugly Cherokee Purple:

Aji Dulce pepper and Silvery Fir Tree:

Brandywine Sudduth:

Valencia orange bell pepper:

The whole shebang:

TheDens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2006   #2
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I love seeing everyone's individual growing circumstances & the surrounding area - because it is all so diverse - the urban growers, country growers, limited space, too much space ...

What is the story about your property? It looks like you have a fair amount of room, ...
Old July 10, 2006   #3
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

We bought this house a year ago mostly because I loved the yard; the backyard is a little under a half acre, and is divided between a level, sunny area behind the house and a stand of oak trees in the back. It also had not one blade of grass in back and absolutely no topsoil, it was all scraped off during construction, leaving nothing but bare clay. We're trying to grow grass back there, but you can probably tell from some of the pictures that we haven't managed much more than sparse weeds so far. We need to truck in some decent topsoil if we're ever going to have a nice yard, but that's not in our budget any time soon.
Anyway, the garden is on an embankment dividing our yard with the neighbor's; that's their land on the top of the hill. Eventually, the main garden is going to be on the other side of the property, but that patch is still overgrown and I haven't had a chance to clear it yet. I put the garden on the hill this year because the only other full-sun options were either very visible from the street (bad idea when you're growing watermelons!) or would have taken up space my son likes to play in. Besides, I had to put -something- there to stop the erosion, why not vegetables?
And yeah, that CP is definitely not a looker. Not only is it from a massive compound blossom, but it's split in the rain at least three times. I'm curious about what it's going to look like by the time it ripens.
Old July 10, 2006   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms. I will pinch off compound blossoms.

Unless you wanted to see what happens or enter a contest.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2006   #5
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to see what happens.
Old July 11, 2006   #6
TheDens
Tomatovillian™

Does it look like i should? I used cow manure compost and osmocote, but with the timed-release fertilizer I wasn't sure if using anything more would be overdoing it.
*reaches for her anti-noob stench deodorant*