Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2008   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default Yikes! Hope I dodged the bullet!

It got down close to 40 last night here in the Houston 'burbs (far west). I think I dodged the bullet, though: everything this morning looked decent. The plants were far too tall and involved at this point to do anything beyond thinking good thoughts.

But I worry about our Tomatovillians to the west and immediate north.
Old April 14, 2008   #2
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

29 here in KC...i put the propane heater in the greenhouse and a small electric one in the cold frame. Everything made it except a couple of plants I had too close to the one in the cold frame. Hopefully this will be the LAST cold blast of the season!
Old April 14, 2008   #3
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to get down to 31 degrees here tonight. Got my heater on my youngans, glad i didnt set them out as I lost over 200 last year...

Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Suze reported 34 in Elgin, TX. It didn't get below 45 here at the house to my knowledge. I wasn't home to protect my plants even if I'd known it would get that cold.

It was about 43 when I got on my bike at 6:45am in La Grange, TX to ride day 2 of the MS150. With 3 layers of clothes, it was still freezing for the first 20 miles or so. 170 miles in 2 days. With constant headwind (the last 9 years we've had a substantial tailwind), it was rather challenging!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #5
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

OT: Cool! Another cyclist that has a 'thing' - okay, obsession with tomatoes! Put in around 100 miles this weekend, but in the 70's...
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I have a friend, originally from Houston, now singing in Nashville now, who went home to ride in that Morgan! I chipped in to help sponsor her ride.

Don
Old April 15, 2008   #7
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

low near 40 last night and abain near 41 tonight... I havent't seen any ill's but a little leaf curl on some plants.. No problem. I got fruit set and a few weeks to set some more.
Old April 15, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a picture of crossing the finish line this year yet. Maybe in the next week or so Brightroom Photography will have one up. My friend took this photo in 2004:

So far I have raised nearly $400 of my goal of $1,000. 12,000 riders have raised $11 million so far this year, with a goal of $14 million!!!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2008   #9
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

We hit right at 32 last night, but tonight is supposed to be 40, then 50, and mid-high 50's at night for the next 10 days, so look like it's time to plant this week! I think there's less than a 5% chance we ever get a frost after April 25.

Don