Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 16, 2016   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default dang weather

been trying to harden off my pepper and tomato plants but the weather is being extreamly mean to me. lol they are at least all in the garage now instead of the basement, temps one day in 70"s couple days later 34 degs. at night, windy windy windy! lol. was hoping to give out plants to the people i grew them for and get mine planted in their buckets before memorial weekend, it'll be close thou. cherry tomato plants are starting to get a wee bit leggy but not too bad, i've had them out a few times now and the last 2 days out in the morning sun (no clouds either), for about an hour, you think they can be out in the sun for more than 1 hour at a time? thanks----tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #2
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (189.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (169.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (182.4 KB, 181 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #3
Boobery85
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain Encore. I'm in Central NY state. We get your weather a few days later. I'm going to start hardening off my plants again this coming friday. Night time temps around here are dipping in to the 30's to low 40's. Hopefully after this thursday I can harden them off for real.

Nice looking seedlings by the way!

What I've done in the past is put the seedlings on my back deck which gets the morning sun and is shaded in the afternoon. I start off by putting them tight to the house, getting the most shade. Every couple of days I pull the plants out a foot farther onto the deck so they get more sun. That's worked for me in the past.
Boobery85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

We are all having weather issues. I woke in the Catkill Mnts Sunday morning and had snow flurries. Back in NYC last night. The toms i planted in containers a month ago look super. No time to harden off but placed in dappled shade.

By the advanced forecast i believe the frost danger may be over. Hang in there until Memorial weekend if you can. Fertilize sparingly. A bit leggy but look very healthy. I always start many more than i have room for just in case i risk an early planting....back-ups. Insurance.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Here's some more headed east.
Attached Images
File Type: png weather.png (533.9 KB, 168 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2016   #6
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Ricky,

I was watching the news earlier and they were forecasting a chance of snow as far south as Colorado Springs. Are you going to get snowed on again?

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #7
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ricky and George - don't you just love our CO weather?

I planted my tomato seeds more than a week later than last year as I've had to trench plant the tomatoes for the past 5+ years. This year they're smaller and none need staking just yet, compared to all of them in years past.

We hope to start planting this weekend, but it may still be too wet.

Best of luck in your gardens, guys. It's a never ending battle.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #8
NuttyPistons
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain. In central NY it finally looks to.be a stretch run of 50s night temps starting around Friday so I am gonna start hardening off outside during the days tomorrow in preparation for leaving them outside full time come Friday. Hopefully they will be in the ground in about a week!
NuttyPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #9
Boobery85
Tomatovillian™

Another CNYer! Where are you from Nutty Pistons?
Old May 17, 2016   #10
NuttyPistons
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Syracuse. I am envious of you in Skaneateles!
NuttyPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #11
Boobery85
Tomatovillian™

I work in Syracuse. I'm there right now!

I'll most likely have way (WAY) too many tomato seedlings if you're interested. They have not been hardened off yet. They are a little spindly, but I just bury them deep when transplanting. I haven't had a problem with them.
Old May 17, 2016   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

And New England is just a day or so behind NY...

My tomato plants went out last Thursday, but Sunday we not only got the low nighttime temps, we also had a lot of wind. They went right back to the basement on Sunday afternoon. Yesterday was another day of wind, so they continued to shelter in place. Today they will go back out and hopefully stay out. Plant out for me will be Memorial Day weekend as well.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #13
Boobery85
Tomatovillian™

I think I can try and start hardening off plants tomorrow or Thursday. Hoping to plant out Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 17, 2016   #14
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

No snow to report from overnight, 39 and drizzle, still. Low 60's and clearing Wednesday, then 80's for the weekend, with 70's all next week. Easy Street's just ahead.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2016   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Seems i'll have some leggy toms on stilts by the time my soil warms enough to plant.
I did start way early at 12 weeks out, but then again at 8 and 6. And started another tray over the weekend

It snowed in Maine?! Fortunately i picked a nice day last week to drive through.

I lost all my tenders so starting that tray again. Hearty greens and early peas are up and fine. No bugs or critters after them at all because it is SO cold.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote