Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 12, 2011   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Cedar Closet.

Now that the heat has set in for the summer what does a person do to keep cool and still get something done?
My wife’s latest grand idea to keep me out of trouble, away from the bars and chasing women is to have me put in a Cedar closet.
Not all of us are lucky enough to have a sawmill 6 miles from the house but I have no excuse, I have one and they specialize in cedar.
So without any excuses off I went and purchased some 3/8 thick X 4 inch tongue and groove cedar for the closet.
If all goes well I will have before and after pictures tomorrow at this time or there about to show the end result.
At least it will be cool in the house for the project.
Now I need to empty out the closet so I can start work even though it is but a wee closet.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #2
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Your wife has some good ideas! I lived in an old house that had a cedar lined closet and it still had that aroma after 70+years!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sue I can smell it all over the house right now.

Here are some pictures, I have to go outside to cut the stuff and it is 100 or so right now.

This is one of many ways to do it.

Attachment 18849

Attachment 18850

Attachment 18851

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old July 13, 2011   #4
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Looks very nice Worth.
Sue
Old July 13, 2011   #5
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it does look very nice!
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks folks for you kind words I need my fur stroked at times.

I talked to the owner of the sawmill for some time about wood moulders and he has the same type of moulder I used to set up and run years ago.

He also runs 3/4 inch thick floor planks at 1.46 a square foot for 4 inch wide and 1.79 for 6 inch wide.

The wheels are turning again.
Solid Cedar floor anyone.
Worth
Old July 14, 2011   #7
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Too bad you don't live here. I am always looking for quality work, retrofitting this old house. I have paid for low quality by people that think they are the best. Don't post anymore pictures Worth! Just kiddin'...
Sue B.
Old July 14, 2011   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

As always Worth you turn me green with envy....sighhhhh. Looking great. It brings back memories.

In my parent's home that they built, Mom had one built when the house was built back in the 1970's. It was 8' long with a full length rod, with 2 shelves above for storage of sweaters and other stuff (like quilts and wool blankets). I have ordered shelves for my closets cut to fit, that are out of cedar planks (they have to be joined to get the width, since I want about 14" wide). Plus cubbies are next on the list out of cedar for my sweaters, etc.

So what does your sawmill charge for the 3/8" x 4" tongue and groove? Who knows? I might have to stock up on my next run down to SL. LOL. I can just see crossing the border...lmao. I might just have to line the walk in closets...lol...and do it as a temporary installation as this is a rental....or might just build something that dismantles in the basement for off season storage. Hmmmmm....you've got my brain spinning with ideas now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
As always Worth you turn me green with envy....sighhhhh. Looking great. It brings back memories.

In my parent's home that they built, Mom had one built when the house was built back in the 1970's. It was 8' long with a full length rod, with 2 shelves above for storage of sweaters and other stuff (like quilts and wool blankets). I have ordered shelves for my closets cut to fit, that are out of cedar planks (they have to be joined to get the width, since I want about 14" wide). Plus cubbies are next on the list out of cedar for my sweaters, etc.

So what does your sawmill charge for the 3/8" x 4" tongue and groove? Who knows? I might have to stock up on my next run down to SL. LOL. I can just see crossing the border...lmao. I might just have to line the walk in closets...lol...and do it as a temporary installation as this is a rental....or might just build something that dismantles in the basement for off season storage. Hmmmmm....you've got my brain spinning with ideas now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Zana
Zana I paid $143.90 tax and all for 40 boards about 8' 6" long
it was about 80 square feet.

Here is a picture I took 10 minutes ago with my camera then removed the micro SD card from the camera and put it in my lap top and re-sized with Office picture manager to 50%.

Technology at its best.
Worth
Attachment 18866

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old July 14, 2011   #10
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.....now you've really got me interested. I like the moulding on the tongue and grove - slight bevel at the joints? And beautifully finished by the looks of it. Yup...the wheels are definitely turning on some ideas. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........plus the price is good. Still cheaper than some I priced here...and not as nicely finished. Now the question is to build it here or there. LOL....decisions decision....or both?

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #11
clara
Tomatovillian™

Worth, if some day you come to Germany, please drop in! Here's a lot to do and I like your work! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Zana there is beveling at the edges, this makes for an edge you dont have to sand to make flush.
If a person were to sand this stuff 100 then 120 grit would be all you would really need.

Clara If only I could live in Germany thank you (Besten Dank) for the compliment/complement.
Comming from someone from the Deutschland it is a fine one indeed.
I'm under the impression that many folks over there are a little more appreciative of quality work than the mas produced particle board garbage they sell these days.

Not to say mine is the best or even close but I do try.

By the way the walls are complete and I am off to the sawmill tomorrow to get material for shelving.

Worth
Old July 14, 2011   #13
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

After you finish at Sue's house and Clara's house, you can stop by my house. You should consider starting your own construction business. Finding people who do high quality work and take pride in what they do is hard to come by in the construction industry.

When I get estimates, I am always amazed at the shoddy craftsmenship and ridiculous prices people try to pawn off on me. I guess they think I am an idiot.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #14
clara
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I appreciate good work and yours look very fine! I've been doing a lot of work here in my house in the last years like tiling several rooms in the basement (walls and floor), completely tiling the guest bathroom, constructing very special wooden furniture etc., but due to several surgeries I have to have a break now, unfortunately. I still have a lot of ideas, but my old bones don't like them... clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Did I here tiling? Like tiling a bathroom. Don't say that to loud clara or I'm going to have to send you some Dr. Feelgood as I'm in the middle of having my bathroom done. Nothing impresses me more than watching the masters whether it be building with wood or laying tiles. To me it's an art form. Ami