Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 18, 2014   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Paper Towel Method - Failed?

I usually grow my peppers in seed starting mix but this year I decided to try the paper towel method, which I have used for older tomato seeds. I started 10 different varieties this way on Jan. 31st so it has been 18 days. Not a SINGLE seed has sprouted!

I have them in a plastic baggie, they haven't dried out and I am keeping them on a heating pad since we keep our house at only about 65 during the day. The heating pad is on low so it is keeping them comfortably warm.

It seems at least a FEW of them should have sprouted since I started 4-8 seeds of each variety. These are the varieties I have started this way:

Bhut Jolokia
Shi★★★★o
Orange Manzano
Yellow Peter
Zimbabwe Bird
Chinese 5 Color
Mustart Habanero
Chilly Chilly
Riot
Candlelight

I know some of the super hots take a long time to sprout but it seems some of these should be well on their way already.

Pepper fanatics, please let me know your thoughts.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #2
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

One got bleeped out. Phonetic spelling now - She she toe
Old February 18, 2014   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Does your heating pad have a thermostat or is it just a regular heating pad? Just a regular heating pad even set on low may be too hot and cook your seeds. I have had a few peppers take as long as five or six weeks to germinate.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #4
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

It is just a regular heating pad set on low. It doesn't seem to be too warm. I wouldn't think it would cook the seeds. It is warm to the touch and I am guessing about 75-80 degrees. I checked on another thread and found a link to a chart that shows germination times for a few of the ones I have started. I will wait a few days and then maybe start over on the ones I still have seeds for. Unfortunately, on some of these I started all I had in stock.
Old February 18, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have sprouted many, many 100's of pepper seeds at room temperature at about 65 degrees with no need for a pad or soaking.
If you are in a room that is 70 degrees then the seeds are 70 degrees.
If you are at 98.6 degrees with good blood circulation and you feel something is warm then it can be over 100 degrees.
dry heat doesn't feel like wet heat because of conduction to the skin.
That is why you can hold your hand on something dry at 120 degrees and it wont hurt.
You can put your hand in water at 120 and it will scald in 5 minutes with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
At 130 degrees it will cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns in 30 seconds.

Heating pads can go from 110 up to 180 degrees. that is cooking temps.
Plus if the heat has nowhere to go it can continue to get hotter before the safety kicks in.
You need to use a thermometer and test before trying to sprout seeds in them.

If you put them in an aluminum baking pan and the pad on the bottom, the pan will draw off most of the heat.

I think they were killed from heat if they don't sprout.
A very cheap and safe way to keep temps up for seed sprouting is a simple 40 or 75 watt light bulb placed at the appropriate distance.
Heat/brooder lamps also work well.

Just a thought and a wild guess.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I agree with worth. I think a heating pad can get too hot. They also cycle on and off so you might no catch them at they peak temperature. The trouble with the paper towel method is that there is no mass to counter act temperature changes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #7
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Makes sense, Worth. My heating pad seems to stay on without cycling off. Just for S&G's, I stuck my finger underneath my tongue. That seems to be about the temp of my seed baggie when I touch it so obviously too hot. Looks like I am restarting the seeds I still have in inventory and I will just hope for a miracle for the rest!
Old February 19, 2014   #8
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

When I use the paper towel method, I don't use a heating pad. I find that the heating pad is too hot and overheats the seeds. Just put seed in a damp paper towel and into a zip top bag and they willl sprout at room temp.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have my set up ready but I needed to start seeds. I never tried the paper towel method. I used coffee filters, and I put them on top of the fridge. It is somewhat warm there. Anyway they are sprouting like crazy! I'm going to do this from now on. I guess I happen to have a good spot on the fridge. others may not. It's not broke so I'm not fixing it. I was waiting for a thermostat for my heating pad btw It came in in time to plant sprouts.
So I guess now I really don't need to keep it that warm? Once plants have their first leaves, what temp do you set the heating pad at? Since the fridge method works so well I guess I really didn't need a heating pad. It's a little cold in the room, so I do want to set a minimum temperature.

Also do i need to keep temps up when I plant sprouts? I put sprouts in as soon as they opened, I'm not sure how long I should wait to plant sprouts after they open in the paper? Some planted now have the first leaves. I'm keeping temp at 83 F for now.
Any advice appreciated.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

"So I guess now I really don't need to keep it that warm? Once plants have their first leaves, what temp do you set the heating pad at? Since the fridge method works so well I guess I really didn't need a heating pad. It's a little cold in the room, so I do want to set a minimum temperature.
Also do i need to keep temps up when I plant sprouts? I put sprouts in as soon as they opened, I'm not sure how long I should wait to plant sprouts after they open in the paper? Some planted now have the first leaves. I'm keeping temp at 83 F for now.
Any advice appreciated."

As far as I know, once the seeds sprout they should be planted immediately and room temp should be adequate for growing. How cold is "a little cold"? Heat mats are used for sprouting only. Hopefully someone more experienced will give more specific advice soon but I vote for "plant them in soilless mix asap"!

kath

Last edited by kath; February 20, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Agreed, Even with a fully loaded germination tray, a single heating pad can produce hot spots that kill seeds in individual cells.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

A little cold is 66-68 degrees. OK, cool, i really don't need the heating pad then. I'll set it at 70 degrees. Just to make sure. I did plant them ASAP, but it was a guess that i should do that.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
A little cold is 66-68 degrees. OK, cool, i really don't need the heating pad then. I'll set it at 70 degrees. Just to make sure. I did plant them ASAP, but it was a guess that i should do that.
Those temps should be fine. If you have lights over the plants it will raise the temp a bit too or if they're in a sunny window it'll still heat up a bit. Overheating can make them leggy and weak. I'd ditch the heating pad except for the unsprouted ones or at least raise them up so that they're not sitting directly on the heating pad- I've used old wire cooling racks from the kitchen for that purpose.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #14
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Default sprout planting

I have a question for someone out there. Once the seeds sprout, how do you plant them? Do you cover the sprout up or just put the seed under cover? I tried sprouting seed with the paper towell method and had good luck with germination but no luck when I planted them.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #15
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Dampen the seed starting mix (use seed starting mix, not potting soil) in planting containers. Put the sprouted seed on top. Use a pencil or other gadget to push the rooted part into the mix. Make sure the root has good contact with the soil and firm the soil slightly with your fingers around the root. Make sure the seed part remains on top of the soil. You can cover very sparingly with mix or not at all. Cover with plastic wrap or place in a zip top bag opened slightly. Now you can place on a heating mat or in a south facing window (or both). Once the seeds get going, place them under lights on a timer. No need for heating mat once they get going.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote