Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Day Ago   #5461
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Wow, some strong feelings for Pasta, lol. I happen to like whole wheat pasta better, I think it has more flavor. Regular pasta has none at all, its just vehicle for sauce. There is nothing in it to give it flavor. The whole wheat has a mild nutty flavor. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind regular pasta, and I can also eat anything I want, but I prefer the whole wheat. The only time I wouldn't is if there is a really delicate sauce on the pasta and you don't want any flavor from the pasta at all to interfere with it. I also like spinach fettuccine, and tri color pasta made with veggies to make my pasta salad.
It is just my choice and the reasons behind it are strange to say the least.
It goes back to my childhood and growing up.
I never got to eat much pasta growing up no good sausage at all and many things I never experienced until I got away from home.
I had no idea what yogurt was until I was in the Marines and tried it.
Thankfully my friends I hung out with were from Baltimore and very helpful when it came to food.
They never made fun of me.
Many of the things I was raised up eating their families couldn't afford or even buy.if they had the money.
So it goes both ways.
To me whole wheat pasta tastes like dirt.
Pure Semolina pasta tastes nutty.
Ramen noodles I will never eat unless I am starving.
I was out of a job and poor and almost if not about to be homeless.
All I could afford to buy to fill an empty belly was ramen noodles.
Then at work in Alaska many of us ate the darn things because the rest of the lunch food they put out sucked.
Like cold greasy batter dipped left over fried mudrooms.
How in hell are you supposed to eat something like that?
The dinner rolls were dried out and as hard as a rock.
The butter was frozen.
And so on.

This is why I taught myself how to make the tings I love but cant afford.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5462
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I didn't mean to make fun of what you like, Worth, I like regular pasta, too. I am sorry if I offended you. It is not the first time I was surprised by the vehemence of feelings expressed about a food they don't care for. I get yelled at by patients some times about food that is "garbage" because it doesn't have enough salt, or contains something they don't like. I have a family member who hates garlic so much she grills her grown kids when they come in the house to make sure they haven't eaten any, tells restaurants she is highly allergic (she isn't) to make them fear including anything with it by accident on her plate, in a pot luck at her house reminds everyone that NOTHING containing even garlic powder or salt is allowed, and once I heard her tell her daughter that the fact that she was feeling a little nauseous after dinner meant that someone MUST have slipped in something containing garlic. Every tummy upset becomes something blamed on what she ate. So I tend to react by trying to see the humor in it. I can't stand mustard on a sandwich. I don't see the need to tell everyone they are not allowed to use it either, or ban it from my house. I don't like the consistency of steamed clams. I just pass them by, maybe with a little shudder, lol, but I don't think they are garbage for people who like them. I did once say I had finally come up with a theory about her aversion to garlic, that she was actually a vampire, and I was going to test it by showing up with a garlic free pot luck dish but wearing a garlic braid around my neck. So I see much stronger food aversions all the time than you have expressed here. I just usually react with humor (bad humor, I guess, lol) when people have such strong feelings about food. Sorry again if I offended you.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5463
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Black bean soup!!!! Bacon, sour cream, green onions and cilantro. A little cayenne gave it a nice bite, perfect for today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1382.JPG (286.6 KB, 48 views)
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5464
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I didn't mean to make fun of what you like, Worth, I like regular pasta, too. I am sorry if I offended you. It is not the first time I was surprised by the vehemence of feelings expressed about a food they don't care for. I get yelled at by patients some times about food that is "garbage" because it doesn't have enough salt, or contains something they don't like. I have a family member who hates garlic so much she grills her grown kids when they come in the house to make sure they haven't eaten any, tells restaurants she is highly allergic (she isn't) to make them fear including anything with it by accident on her plate, in a pot luck at her house reminds everyone that NOTHING containing even garlic powder or salt is allowed, and once I heard her tell her daughter that the fact that she was feeling a little nauseous after dinner meant that someone MUST have slipped in something containing garlic. Every tummy upset becomes something blamed on what she ate. So I tend to react by trying to see the humor in it. I can't stand mustard on a sandwich. I don't see the need to tell everyone they are not allowed to use it either, or ban it from my house. I don't like the consistency of steamed clams. I just pass them by, maybe with a little shudder, lol, but I don't think they are garbage for people who like them. I did once say I had finally come up with a theory about her aversion to garlic, that she was actually a vampire, and I was going to test it by showing up with a garlic free pot luck dish but wearing a garlic braid around my neck. So I see much stronger food aversions all the time than you have expressed here. I just usually react with humor (bad humor, I guess, lol) when people have such strong feelings about food. Sorry again if I offended you.

You didn't offend me.
My father used to scold me for eating garlic he hated it so much.

My problem as I said about my wife was forcing her views on me.
Never will forget the time she tried to make me eat raw fish while she was forcing herself to eat it.
Some nasty whitefish concoction she came up with.

I can tell you how I like whole wheat.
I can take a handful of raw wheat seeds and chew them up like a goat.
Used to do it when I was running a grain drill from uncontaminated seeds.
I Love many whole wheat and grain things just not pasta.
Old 1 Day Ago   #5465
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

That vampire lady sounds like the ideal life partner we all want.....
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5466
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
That vampire lady sounds like the ideal life partner we all want.....
I just thought of something completely nuts.
Slathering myself in garlic paste and introducing myself to her.

Worth
Old 1 Day Ago   #5467
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Lol. Forcing her preferences on others is what drives me nuts about it. I would be happy to label the food as with or without garlic. She could just skip it. Nope. If it has tomato sauce in it and I used 2 cloves of garlic in a pot of sauce or a little garlic powder and then used that sauce to make a dish, like a lasagna, it would be banned. If you can't smell anything obviously offensive on your daughter when she comes to visit why is it necessary to grill her to make sure she hasn't been eating garlic? SMH. I promise if you come to my house, Worth, I might have a dish with whole what pasta in it and you are free to pass it by with no hard feelings and go for something else. I will make sure there are things there that you WOULD like to eat.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5468
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As long as it's chocolate flavored whole wheat pasta.
Worth
Old 1 Day Ago   #5469
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Funny thing about garlic, you either hate it or love it. I am in the love it category. It's hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like it, but I know some people don't. I would be willing to have a garlic flavored milk shake or possibly some Godiva chocolate covered garlic. I once drove through Gilroy California. The entire town reeks of garlic. I loved the smell. Others in the vehicle hated it.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Day Ago at 08:42 PM.
DonDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5470
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Funny thing about garlic, you either hate it or love it. I am in the love it category. It's hard for me to believe anyone doesn't like it, but I know some people don't. I would be willing to have a garlic flavored milk shake or possibly some Godiva chocolate covered garlic. I once drove through Gilroy California. The entire town reeks of garlic. I loved the smell. Others in the vehicle hated it.
I like garlic, and I like onions, but I couldn't stand the smell of Gilroy or going through the onion fields up I-5 in California. Sheesh the smell of those onions about made me let go of the lunch we had all just stopped and ate a few minutes earlier. Those long trips from San Diego to Modesto were brutal and those onion fields killed me, lol. I swear the guy who wrote the book, "the onion fields" (at least I think that was the title) got the description of the onion smell spot on, and I could smell those dang things as I read his description. Yuck, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Hours Ago   #5471
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

https://www.cookingclassy.com/creamy-potato-soup/

Creamy potato soup tonight with onions, carrots, celery and chicken broth/stock combo. Served with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, a little greek yogurt and some bits and pieces of ham. Oh, and a roll on the side. Yum.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old 11 Hours Ago   #5472
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
https://www.cookingclassy.com/creamy-potato-soup/

Creamy potato soup tonight with onions, carrots, celery and chicken broth/stock combo. Served with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, a little greek yogurt and some bits and pieces of ham. Oh, and a roll on the side. Yum.
There used to be a restaurant chain named "Chedders". Some may still exist, but not as many as I used to see. They featured a "baked potato soup" on their menu which I would drive many miles out of my way to eat. I don't know the recipe, but it was great. The only commercial restaurant soup that came close was the 'French Onion" soup at Steak & Ale.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #5473
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There used to be a restaurant chain named "Chedders". Some may still exist, but not as many as I used to see. They featured a "baked potato soup" on their menu which I would drive many miles out of my way to eat. I don't know the recipe, but it was great. The only commercial restaurant soup that came close was the 'French Onion" soup at Steak & Ale.
Try this copycat recipe.

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipe...like-cheddars/

~Margaret Atwood~

Old 1 Hour Ago   #5474
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There's garlic cola in Japan.

I like garlic but sometimes I ate dishes with garlic at other people's that I didn't like. Half cooked garlic (more like heated) usually becomes really strong smelling and a bit over the top for me. I like it either completely raw or cooked.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Minutes Ago   #5475
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I love garlic infused extra virgin olive oil on French baguette.. I infuse the oil at medium temp with chopped garlic until the garlic is toasted in the oil. I strain the toasted garlic out and use it as a salad topping.