Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 28, 2019   #16
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Yak, does your fertilizer have other minerals or anything in it?
Yes there are trace elements of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum,and Zinc. And of course the 4-18-38 gets mixed with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019   #17
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
Yes there are trace elements of Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum,and Zinc. And of course the 4-18-38 gets mixed with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate

Dan
So it's not just a 4-18-38 fert you're using. What brand? And roughly how much Ca(NO3)2 & MgSO4 do you add to how much of the 4-18-38?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2019   #18
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Sent PM
Old November 3, 2019   #19
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You guys need to follow the directions with these products or you are going to have issues. For mature plants you use 8 oz of 4-18-38, as well as 8 oz of Calcium Nitrate, you will also add 4-5 ounces of Magnesium Sulfate. (for 100 gallons)
These numbers they give are just not guessed, but are based off of leaf samples, so follow the directions to start with. You may have to adjust, I need a touch more MgSO4. These numbers are also for Coco, Promix, etc, you will use less if you try to use this in soil. That could get tricky without knowing what your media consists of. I have used it at half strength with good results in my garden.

These numbers represent the Masterblend directions and Hydrogardens Tomato Formula. Same stuff.

Last edited by AKmark; November 3, 2019 at 02:39 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2019   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
You guys need to follow the directions with these products or you are going to have issues. For mature plants you use 8 oz of 4-18-38, as well as 8 oz of Calcium Nitrate, you will also add 4-5 ounces of Magnesium Sulfate. (for 100 gallons)
These numbers they give are just not guessed, but are based off of leaf samples, so follow the directions to start with. You may have to adjust, I need a touch more MgSO4.

These numbers represent the Masterblend directions and Hydrogardens Tomato Formula. Same stuff.
Yeah, what he said ! Most definitely
Old November 5, 2019   #21
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic results, Dan. What size grow bags did you use?

I used Masterblend for the first time this year, toward the end of the season. Wonderful stuff. Most things only got one dose, but still took off!

I used it on some tomatoes in the ground and got 6-8 extra tomatoes each within a month when I thought the plants were sickly and done (Lillian's Yellow, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Big Beef)!

I had a Chef's Choice Orange in a big tub - maybe 20-25 gallons - I just picked at least 20 good size half-ripe tomatoes off it ahead of the frost we had the other night. It's still making flowers. My Jaune Flamme in a 10-gallon fabric pot just kept pumping out orange beauties until the frost too. I'm sure I got a couple more tomatoes each at least from my plants in 5 gallon fabric pots too.

My beets loved it, and I got tons more beans in the late season.

Next year, I'm adding the Masterblend way earlier in the season. That stuff was magic.
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2019   #22
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is good stuff all right. I used it in 15 gal grow bags for tomatoes and 8 gal grow bags for peppers. Feading them two times a day but only once a day at the end of the season.

Dan
Old November 5, 2019   #23
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Thanks. I'm gonna try to be like you next year!
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2019   #24
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post
Wow. Thanks. I'm gonna try to be like you next year!
Well I guess you could do worse, but you could do better also.