Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 7, 2007   #16
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

landarc, Ami is a "HE" and thanks for the support. Theodore aka Amideutch
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2007   #17
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Note that the tops and bottoms of leaves should be sprayed every 7 days from the day you set them out.
That is why I would prefer not to use it. But if the 120 plants I plan on setting out produce only what 80 treated plants would, spraying would be worth the time and expense. If the risk is even greater--120 producing what 20 should--it's a no brainer. So I'm undecided and trying to balance it out. Does previous and present land use in my area increase or decease the need for Daconil? Lawn has been a lawn as far as anyone knows (photo from 1884 shows it as a lawn). No large and few small gardens around. No forested areas nearby, all the trees are mature maples, pines, beeches and oaks. Salt marsh down a hill across the street. Understand there is no real answer to this, just looking to be tipped one way or the other. Would my area be as suspectable to the problems you mention as, say, a more rural area where gardens are and have been the norm for decades?
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2007   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You're in Connecticut. Humid, swamplike conditions is not what I think of when I think of Connecticut, and that's even after going to summer camp there for 6 years. Except for last year's unbelievable, record-setting rains, generally speaking I don't think you have the problems with 85% humidity and warm muggy nights for months at a time that we do.

The Gulf Coast is great if you want to grow fungus. I'd rather grow tomatoes though.

I know it gets difficult to spray the plants as they get unwieldy and huge. I think after their first major fruitset we can probably back off some. The problem in Houston is we often get a solid week of rain in June. We're talking 20-30 inches. This year I will have clear plastic tarps ready.

Last edited by feldon30; March 7, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #19
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I agree with this Amideutch... more information the better... whether from seemingly spurious sources, say, ex-greenie groups, or chemical companies, I like to make my own mind up about these things by weighing up everything I can get my hands on.

So thanks for posting Fieund. Good to get all sides rather than just from those that some deem appropriate, except where idiots are concerned, like Zebra and Chicken, but that's almost the sum total of village idjots on any tomato forum, really.

BTW: I use Daconil. But I don't smoke. Now there's a toxic cocktail and a wagon to ride... and what about barbecued meat, teflon pans, and workaday stress. Lol. And on a serious note I just lost a colleague in a plane crash so there's another perspective. Carpe diem.

Last edited by Grub; March 8, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If you put vegetable or other cooking oil in the teflon pan first, you'll never get to the 550 degrees it takes to release the teflon coating into the atmosphere.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #21
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Right you are Grubster. Nobody said don't use Daconil but only that you should know what you are using so you can make an informed, intelligent decision if that is what you want to use. We are all grown adults capable of making our own decisions as it should be. Grub, Sorry to hear about your friend. Ami, still doin it on the other side of the pond.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #22
landarc
Tomatovillian™

My apologies Ami (Theodore), I never know who is who.

Grub, there is nothing wrong with grilled and charred meat, don't make me get on my bad side there pardner...

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #23
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I use 99 per cent non-stick pans - you want a red-hot wok so make sure you get a real one and seasoned - and I eat bbqd meats... So no arguments from me there, just pointing out how there seem to be risks involved with everything these days.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2007   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have never used Daconil and I could care less about what other folks think about what I do use.
They are my tomatoes they are going into my body and I will never get into an argument over such things.

When this place gets to where I start getting slammed over using Seven dust to kill the hoppers.
Lets just hope it never happens.

I have never had these horrible things happen to my plants but then of course I live in (((Central Texas))) not South East Texas.
Its a lot drier here in the summer and as long as you don't splash dirt on your plants you should be ok.

I embrace any information someone wants to post on a product.

Thanks Ami

I thought you were a woman too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chlorothalonil , daconil , fungicide , safe