Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 19, 2007   #46
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Regarding the history of varieties aspect: Dice said
Quote:
I take it that the primary function of the annual
SSE catalog, though, is not to serve as a reference
document. It is to list seeds of archived cultivars
available from SSE members that year. Using it
as a cultivar type or history reference is merely
a use that tomato enthusiasts and other researchers
sometimes make of it.
Yes. Histories in the Yearbook are an ancillary activity, and included at the "will and whim" of the person providing the entry. By "will and whim" I simply mean it is an option, not a requirement--their choice to include a history or not.

For myself, I wouldn't mind a Sticky here on TV where one could drop the histories that do turn up. Not perfect, but it is something and I think many people would enjoy reading them.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Although, Suze's case is quite bad - if something like that had happened to me, I'd be likely very upset to say the least, not mentioning that other members might be requesting Suze's seeds from a wrong SSE members...

Thankfully Suze was able to work it out with the other SSE member so that all requests for those of her entries with that other person's code name will be forwarding Suze's requests to her.
Old March 20, 2007   #48
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

My Zolotoe Serdtse tomato had been entered as Zolotoj Serdtse for some reason in 2007 SSE Yearbook, but I've sent all in Excel and with right name to Joanne

Somebody who corrected this don't know Russian grammer for sure

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #49
dice
Tomatovillian™

The suggestion that SSE have an online data entry
form for listed member submissions to the catalog
could save SSE staff a lot of work and prevent a
lot of the confusion described in the posts above,
but it also raises security issues that they probably
don't have now. (Becoming a listed member and
mailing in a paper form would likely be considered
too much trouble for ordinary malicious information
vandals, but a form accessible on the Internet is
quite a bit more convenient for creating havoc and
wasting other people's time; cracking security is
just part of the fun of it for high-tech juvenile
delinquents).

I am not saying, "Don't do it, it's not safe."
I am only saying that the website and password
security needs to be rigorous and professional
if SSE wants to do this without creating problems
that they don't have now.
Old March 21, 2007   #50
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My gosh, I go away for a few days and a 5 page post pops up !!

So, good question - why is Cherokee Purple in the Pink section? Well, when I grew it out, it was really, aside from Purple Calabash, the only more on the purple-than-pink-side available - quickly followed by Black Krim and Price's Purple. And, back then, the Other Colors area seemed to be for greens and whites and bicolors. Once something gets in the yearbook in a particular place, it seems impossible or at least very difficult to move.

Colors are tricky. Whenever I look through the yearbook, I note that quite a few tomatoes don't seem to be where they belong - new growers, especially, don't always get the pink/red distinction correct. I haven't checked recently, but the Brandywines were always a bit messy - quite a few listings under Red Brandywine were actually Brandywine. I often wonder if people just see colors slightly differently.

So, would the SSE catalog benefit from expanding their color options - perhaps having a "black" section for tomatoes that retain chlorophyll upon ripening - with either yellow (brown color) or clear (purple color) skin....maybe a section called "Bicolors" for that collection? "White"? I think that, due to the large numbers of tomatoes offered, potential crosses or mixups, or as I said, challenge in differentiation, the tomato section will always be less than completely accurate.

Man, it's good to be back home...
Old March 21, 2007   #51
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
My gosh, I go away for a few days and a 5 page post pops up !!
LOL.

Quote:
So, good question - why is Cherokee Purple in the Pink section? Well, when I grew it out, it was really, aside from Purple Calabash, the only more on the purple-than-pink-side available - quickly followed by Black Krim and Price's Purple. And, back then, the Other Colors area seemed to be for greens and whites and bicolors. Once something gets in the yearbook in a particular place, it seems impossible or at least very difficult to move.
I figured it was something like that.

I do wish my listing for Gary O hadn't been put in pink/purple, when I specifically and clearly listed it as "other". No idea what Robbins specified, but both our listings ended up in "pink/purple". Well, mine got put under another member code by mistake, but you know what I mean.

I wonder if that was driven by the fact that it is a BW/CP cross, and CP is already in pink/purple...

Quote:
Man, it's good to be back home...
And it's good to have you back!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #52
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post

I do wish my listing for Gary O hadn't been put in pink/purple, when I specifically and clearly listed it as "other". No idea what Robbins specified, but both our listings ended up in "pink/purple". Well, mine got put under another member code by mistake, but you know what I mean.

I wonder if that was driven by the fact that it is a BW/CP cross, and CP is already in pink/purple...
Suze,

here is Robbins' writeup:

Quote:
70-75 days, large, 1+ lb fruit has the characteristics and qualities of Cherokee Purple on vigorous, indet., potato leaf plants which set well and rather early (as early as 68 days) for such large fruit, from Keith Mueller of Kansas City, MO, a pink-purple line derived from the Brandywine X Cherokee Purple cross
maybe that's why?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #53
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Suze,

here is Robbins' writeup:

Quote:
70-75 days, large, 1+ lb fruit has the characteristics and qualities of Cherokee Purple on vigorous, indet., potato leaf plants which set well and rather early (as early as 68 days) for such large fruit, from Keith Mueller of Kansas City, MO, a pink-purple line derived from the Brandywine X Cherokee Purple cross
maybe that's why?
Perhaps that might have been a factor, but I can't speak for Robbins or her listing. For all I know, she submitted hers as a pink/purple.

My point is that they should not have changed my listing without asking me first. I submit that it was correctly classified as I had it (in 'other'):

On the other hand, real/obvious mistakes like Anna's Noire (listed right below Ananas Noire) do not get corrected.

I know the SSE isn't perfect, nor do I expect them to be. But I do wonder what the rationale is for what gets looked at, reviewed, changed, and why.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote