Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 27, 2011   #16
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

still would be good to call the gas company so they can check things just for safety, they may find leaks you had no idea about, and fix them for free, and let you know about any other problems they find, like bad appliances, fix settings etc. Especially on an older house, maybe any new owner should do do it.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2011   #17
platys
Tomatovillian™

That is a good idea. We have a ton of old gas appliances - there are two ancient gas fireplaces that we haven't used, a document burner from the 30s or 40s (that's long been closed off), and a 1949 gas stove. However, that gas stove is the best stove I've ever had. It cranks out the BTUs like you've never seen. I'm never getting rid of it. Our home inspector was like "You are SO LUCKY". Not to mention, the early 70s Maytag washer and dryer. Those are oddly enough, highly sought after.

On the downside, we have carpet in the kitchen so old that we're afraid to remove it. It might attack us.
platys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #18
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

I think you want a minimum/maximum thermometer for your little solarium. I think you want to know what the actual temperture(s) are in there. a record on a calender might also be a good thing.

My old cold frame kept night time temperature at just over 50°. Which was enough to grow already started tomatoes.

Shoot for a May 15 plant out. If you're a couple days late of that you should still be OK.

Born in Downers Grove
Old April 3, 2011   #19
platys
Tomatovillian™

My husband could not be convinced that I would not kill us all by putting my little ceramic heater in the imitation greenhouse. But, it turns out, I haven't needed it. I'm only starting a little tray, so I made a little foil tent with a heating pad:

Tomato home by knittergail, on Flickr

It got down into 30s last night, but when I checked the temp at 11pm, the ambient air temp was just below 70 degrees.

And this morning, I had more germination, the tent was holding steady at the same temp. And, they look pretty happy:

Tomatoes warm and cosy by knittergail, on Flickr

How close should I have them to the lights? I'm thinking I'm a little low.
Old April 3, 2011   #20
Gumbysqueak
Tomatovillian™

Great idea. They look strong.
Gumbysqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #21
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

the lights can be like 2-3 inches from the plants, the closer the better, as long as they aren't getting burned by touching a too hot light.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #22
platys
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably closer to 4 to 5 inches away. I'll move them up closer when I get home. Right now, lights are off, since I've using the lights at night to keep things nice and warm. I had another seed germinate overnight. Now I'm just waiting on Pink Egg, Berkeley Tie Dyed and and Pork Chop. But, I buried my seeds too deep - I might try the paper towel method on those three. I planted four seeds for every one plant I wanted.
Old April 9, 2011   #23
platys
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes are coming along. I finally got Berkeley Tie Dye and Pink Egg to come up. Pork chop is still being stubborn - I got a couple of seeds to sprout a little root via the plastic bag method, so I planted those in today.

No true leaves yet, but it has been pretty cold in the greenhouse. A couple got a little leggy before I put them up closer to the lights.

Tomatoes growing by knittergail, on Flickr

Tomatoes growing by knittergail, on Flickr
Old April 9, 2011   #24
bigwad1
Tomatovillian™

Are you leaving the lights on all night and during the day?
bigwad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2011   #25
platys
Tomatovillian™

I'm leaving them on all night and most of the day. I need the heat from the lights to keep them warm at night. I've been keeping the lights off for at least 5 hours - usually from 6pm to 11pm. that's when I get home from work and when I go to bed. I'm honestly just making up that part - it was nice and warm today, so I put them in the natural light. The purple stems is a sign that they've been pretty cold, but from what everyone says, that'll fix itself as the temps warm up.
Old April 10, 2011   #26
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Don't the seedlings need 6-8 hours of dark along with 16-18 hours of light? and I notices that if the tin foil touches a leaf, it reacts and a pinhole will appear and the leaf suffers from the contact, got crisp where it touched. White reflects light as well as foil, so white paper, formica or other material can be used.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #27
platys
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I need to work out a better schedule - it'll be easier once its warm enough that I don't have to rely on the lights to keep things toasty. Given that its in the 80s today (WEIRD), that shouldn't be long.
Old April 12, 2011   #28
platys
Tomatovillian™

I finally got some Pork Chop up - I had to germinate via paper towel, then plant in my seed tray. I came yesterday to two pretty seedlings. The bad news is that I think I killed my only Rutgers seedling - I was trying to get the seed coat off an I think I mainly decapitated it.

I also got a marconi red pepper to sprout for me as well. I ended up putting it on the heat mat, UNDER the seed tray, in its plastic bag. Apparently that warmed it up enough.
Old April 12, 2011   #29
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Default Ah, Grasshopper, Patience

Quote:
I was trying to get the seed coat off an I think I mainly decapitated it.
one or two drops of water and time, not now, just a little longer.....now. Opps!
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011   #30
platys
Tomatovillian™

I tried super hard to not pick at it, but I figured after two weeks of being up, it wasn't going anywhere.

Of course, now I'm cruising the internet, looking for a Rutgers plant. This is bad, bad, bad, because you can't just order ONE plant. That would be crazy.