Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 16, 2011   #1
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default Still trying to figure out what is going on with this

So I took some pictures before and am not sure if these are better or not. Just trying to get a handle on whether this is something I am doing wrong or if I have some type of disease or bug issue. Hope someone can help and possibly give me some advice. There are still lots of tomatoes growing but I really would like it if they would mature and feed me. So I am adding pictures and will await the wise tomato growers that I have come to like and respect on this site. I'm also just going to say it was my lucky day to come across this site. There is so much knowledge and willingness to help. Thanks for making me feel welcome and I appreciate any help you can provide.

Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.jpg (233.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (166.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0078.jpg (136.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0084.jpg (122.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086.jpg (193.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0087.jpg (248.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0090.jpg (237.3 KB, 49 views)
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #2
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default couple more pics

I had a couple more pictures that I thought would be helpful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0040.jpg (224.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0041.jpg (285.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0042.jpg (189.8 KB, 33 views)
Old August 16, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Kim,

Couple of questions. What are the varieties in the pictures? What fungicide have you been spraying, and how often?

In photos 2 and 3, the bottoms of the tomatoes are exhibiting something called Blossom End Rot. This typically happens on initial fruit, then it clears up later in the Season.

In photo 4, it appears you have some leaf mildew or mold. Serenade will take care of that.

You may want to prune the bottom 12 inches of foliage around the base of the plants, as this will permit proper air circulation which will inhibit some types of fungal disease.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #4
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Kim,

Couple of questions. What are the varieties in the pictures? What fungicide have you been spraying, and how often?

In photos 2 and 3, the bottoms of the tomatoes are exhibiting something called Blossom End Rot. This typically happens on initial fruit, then it clears up later in the Season.

In photo 4, it appears you have some leaf mildew or mold. Serenade will take care of that.

You may want to prune the bottom 12 inches of foliage around the base of the plants, as this will permit proper air circulation which will inhibit some types of fungal disease.

Raybo
Most of the pics are Black Krim and Big Beef. 1 set bought at HD or Lowes and the other I grew from seed. Most of the first tomoatos that I planted (mostly from seed) are exhibiting various degrees of picture 4 (can't remember which plant that was and it is too dark to look now). I have been spraying Neem Oil once a week. In the first picture is it normal for the color of the tomatoes to be so different? The dark green just looks healthier to me but really I don't know. The difference is just very dramatic.
Old August 17, 2011   #5
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, I have 3 more tainers that I planted about 6 weeks ago, the plants are beautiful right now but very full. I have been spraying those with neem oil as well. I will give the bottoms a trim but is there anything else I should be doing? Is the neem oil the right choice for preventitive? Also, is Serenade the brand name or the ingredient? Can I find it at HD or Lowes or Hydroponic stores? Should I follow the instructions or is there a better/more effective way to use it?

Thanks again for your help.

Kim
Old August 17, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Kim,

Neem Oil works well against pests like Aphids - - it does very little vs. Fungal diseases. You can get Serenade at any Hydroponics Shop. Buy the Concentrate bottle and dilute the spray. It will last a lot longer versus the ready-to-use bottle.

Raybo
Old August 17, 2011   #7
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo, I will pick some up and start using. Should I use it on the ones who are not showing any signs yet as a preventive measure? Or just the ones that look like they are affected?
Old August 17, 2011   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick925 View Post
Thanks Raybo, I will pick some up and start using. Should I use it on the ones who are not showing any signs yet as a preventive measure? Or just the ones that look like they are affected?
Yep, the "magic question".........

If you wait to start applications until you SEE damage - - it is TOO LATE! You need to commence preventative spraying for fungal management (yesterday).

I'm afraid that you can never reverse fungal damage, - - only slow its rate of growth over time. Get spraying immediately.

Raybo
Old August 17, 2011   #9
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!! I will pick it up today and start spraying and cross my fingers that nothing else gets it this season. Thanks so much for your help!!
Old August 17, 2011   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

A photo of the Serenade bottle is at the bottom of Page 20 in the Guide, for reference.

You have such beautiful plants now growing (yours look better than mine!!) that it would be a shame for them to be lost to fungal issues.

Raybo

p.s. Some folks here also recommend Daconil (available at Home Depot). It is much more potent than Serenade - - so every grower needs to make their personal decision as to what they are happy with.
Old August 17, 2011   #11
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo. I actually ordered some online and will swing by the Hydro store to get a bottle for now. I am trying to be as organic as possible so am hoping the Serenade works but am not opposed to going farther for the sake of my plants.

Is it ok to mix up the Serenade in the same sprayer that I have used for neem oil? I rinsed it out but didn't us soap so I'm not sure if there is anything that is not compatible.
Old August 17, 2011   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick925 View Post
T

Is it ok to mix up the Serenade in the same sprayer that I have used for neem oil? I rinsed it out but didn't us soap so I'm not sure if there is anything that is not compatible.
You should not have any chemical interaction between residual amounts of the Neem Oil, and Serenade. Keep us posted on how well the Serenade does in inhibiting the fungal issues.

Raybo
Old August 17, 2011   #13
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I love Serenade... no chemicals. It works pretty well, but preventive spraying is key. I think Serenade also smells less bad than Daconil.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #14
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
You should not have any chemical interaction between residual amounts of the Neem Oil, and Serenade. Keep us posted on how well the Serenade does in inhibiting the fungal issues.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo. I will keep you posted!!
Old August 18, 2011   #15
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg2001 View Post
I love Serenade... no chemicals. It works pretty well, but preventive spraying is key. I think Serenade also smells less bad than Daconil.
Well the only thing I had to compare to was the neem oil and I have to say the Serenade really stinks in comparison. LOL, I'm just hoping its worth it and when it drys it doesn't smell so bad. If not and it works it is worth the smell