Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old September 8, 2011   #31
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

No problem Donna. I don't know exactly how many people are coming, but it isn't 30. It should be a nice number.
Old September 8, 2011   #32
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I put a little info about tomorrow on the blog. Those of you attending should feel free to come early. Remember though, that the gate is locked after 3PM so you need to plan on getting to the farm before then. To find us, please consult the map on our blog (the one with the yellow rectangle indicating our field).

www.baianicchia.blogspot.com
Old September 9, 2011   #33
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to tomorrow--although I have only 6 ripe varieties (Reba, JD's Special C-Tex, Green Doctors, Arkansas Traveler, Sungold F1, and Nyagous) that I'll be bringing--maybe I can make it up by supplying some of the drinks at the bar. My 23-year-old son and his 24-year-old girlfriend would also like to attend, along with my wife and I--and based upon your comments, they apparently are welcome as well.

My Bloody Butcher plant, Black Plum, Aunt Ginny's Orange, Chili Verde, and Sweet Million are all loaded, but unfortunately, not one ripe tomato yet. Maybe I'll have to throw a tomato tasting of my own once these all ripen.

See you soon (probably just a little before 3 PM since I have to work most of the day)--
Old September 9, 2011   #34
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

Hey, my neighbor "chipped in" with a large Berkeley Tie-Dye and a small Marvel Stripe--so I guess we'll have 8 varieties after all.
Old September 9, 2011   #35
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

They are all welcome to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcruzer View Post
Looking forward to tomorrow--although I have only 6 ripe varieties (Reba, JD's Special C-Tex, Green Doctors, Arkansas Traveler, Sungold F1, and Nyagous) that I'll be bringing--maybe I can make it up by supplying some of the drinks at the bar. My 23-year-old son and his 24-year-old girlfriend would also like to attend, along with my wife and I--and based upon your comments, they apparently are welcome as well.

My Bloody Butcher plant, Black Plum, Aunt Ginny's Orange, Chili Verde, and Sweet Million are all loaded, but unfortunately, not one ripe tomato yet. Maybe I'll have to throw a tomato tasting of my own once these all ripen.

See you soon (probably just a little before 3 PM since I have to work most of the day)--
Old September 10, 2011   #36
Firstcrush
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred,
Thank you sooo much for inviting us to your farm, and for sharing sooo many delicious tomato varieties with us, it was fantastic! . I appreciate the time you spent and the knowledge you shared. It was so interesting to see how you grow and harvest, and to learn about the different squash you have. You have a great place. It was really nice to meet you both, and some other Tomatovillians, who, btw, brought a delicious spread.
I am looking forward to a day of canning tomorrow!
Thanks again,
Donna
Old September 10, 2011   #37
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Winning tomato = Orange Strawberry (Damon)

Very impressive.
Old September 10, 2011   #38
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Fred, for hosting this event. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it--and my son and his girlfriend regretted leaving early after seeing the great pictures of the cut-up tomatoes..

Besides the Orange Strawberry, high praise also needs to go to the Green Giant and Goose Creek tomatoes (Damon) and to your own Blush and Amana Orange and Cherokee Purple varieties. My JD's Special C-Tex and Nyageous also weren't too bad. Having 21 varieties to choose from, plus your special "Cucumber Tomato" and "microgreens" for appetizers and to cleanse the palate were appreciated.
Old September 10, 2011   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Winning tomato = Orange Strawberry (Damon)

Very impressive.
Which tickles me wee heart to no end b'c if Majorie Morris had not found a stray seed in a commercial pack of the variety Pineapple there would not have been the variety Orange Strawberry, which she named.

She originally sent seeds of German Red Strawberry to me which was a family heirloom and then a few years later along came what she named Orange Strawberry which I first listed in the SSE Yearbook in 1995.

Damon, did you end up bringing ANY heart varieties to the event? Or any varieties at all, but I mention hearts especially and you know why.

Fred, it sounds like folks had a wonderful time and I'm so glad that you offered to host the event.
Old September 24, 2011   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It was a very good time. And I still am not sure I dreamt the whole thing. You see Damon brought these great tasting tomatoes he grew in containers.

I was sure that "great tasting" and "container" were mutually exclusive. I'm going to have to be more open minded, now, about what can be done in containers (or I'm going to have to stop eating before bedtime, so I won't have such realistic tomato tasting dreams).
Old November 3, 2011   #41
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

Default A picture is needed

I'll try to post a picture later.

Last edited by Calcruzer; November 3, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: .
Old November 3, 2011   #42
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

Default A picture is needed (continued)

Here is a picture of the tomatoes sampled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato_tasting_sunol_2011.jpg (59.7 KB, 27 views)
Old November 4, 2011   #43
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'm getting hungry all over again for the tomatoes.
Old November 5, 2011   #44
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Hey Fred seems like just a week ago we were walking through your feild checking out all your different tomatoes. I had a great time at the event. Are your tomatoes 100% done? I still have a few things on the vine that need to be picked like now as it looks like we are in for some cool weather.

Damon
Old November 5, 2011   #45
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Hi Damon,

We picked a few cherry tomatoes this week. But today we are rototilling in tomato plants and planting cover crops.

With the warmer weather lately, the tomatoes in the field were still pretty good -- cherries only though. We stopped doing anything with larger varieties a couple weeks ago.

We'll have to have lunch when it settles down this winter.