Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2016   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday our high reached 81F. And last night's low dropped to 31F. Wow ! 50 degrees drop in less than 12 hours..
Right now at 8 AM it is 36F.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #47
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

WEATHER UPDATE : SW NC
nov-21-16.png

Counting last night, we will have frost 4 nights in a row.
Then it will get back to average/normal November weather.
How is your weather ?
Have a nice n HAPPY upcoming THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY WEEKEND.

Happy Gardening !
Old November 21, 2016   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
WEATHER UPDATE : SW NC
Attachment 67481

Counting last night, we will have frost 4 nights in a row.
Then it will get back to average/normal November weather.
How is your weather ?
Have a nice n HAPPY upcoming THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY WEEKEND.
A lot better than that.
Mostly 50s at night and high 60;s to 70' in the day.
But I am farther south.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #49
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
A lot better than that.
Mostly 50s at night and high 60;s to 70' in the day.
But I am farther south.
Yeah, sure . You are also far away from the Northeast.
But this time around we have been getting cold from the west/ nwest.

Happy Gardening !
Old November 21, 2016   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thats about all we get cold from here is the northwest.
I like this weather this morning it was 62 in the house I have the heat set for 55.

I went to bed at 8 woke up at 9 and I cant go back to sleep.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #51
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We had our first snow last night. We may see more on Thanksgiving.

Saturday was sunny and 60F. My husband and I spent five hours out riding our motorcycles around the rural backroads in southwestern NH -- possibly our last ride of the season.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #52
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Utah 6,000 ft. it's been normal for here....
Days in the 50's/60's and nights variable; 30' and 20's with several dips down into single digits.
Raining right now, real nice.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2016   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Yesterday our high reached 81F. And last night's low dropped to 31F. Wow ! 50 degrees drop in less than 12 hours..
Right now at 8 AM it is 36F.
Welcome to the South. During spring, fall and winter it is not that unusual to see vast temperature changes in a very short time. Wait til you get one of our sudden temperature drops in the spring when everything is blooming and you are absolutely sure that winter is over. It doesn't happen often but when it does it can devastate your garden and any fruit trees you have. My usual plant out date for tomatoes is the first week of March but I have put them out as early as mid February and as late as the end of April and once they all got killed even set out that late. Of course once summer really sets in you can be pretty sure that it will remain hot and humid with little respite for way too long.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #54
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I believe you , Bill.
We are having 3 nights of back to back frost and tomorrow nigh will be the 4th in a row. As I look at historical averages, November lows should be 41F.
Gotta get used to this. We have good 3 months of winter ahead of us. I could do some cool crop but my garden was not ready on time. I have put my garden to bed, on a mattress of fall leaves and a blanket of pine straw

Happy Gardening !
Old November 22, 2016   #55
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bill, I see that you understand Texas weather too. I've seen people planting tomatoes as early as late February here, and I've watched others lose tomato plants May 2 to frost and freeze.

Temperature averages are just that. It means they take in data that some years the low for that day is 15F and another year it is 64F. It is an average taken from many years of figures. Tropical and arctic temps are easier to rely on.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #56
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Bill, I see that you understand Texas weather too. I've seen people planting tomatoes as early as late February here, and I've watched others lose tomato plants May 2 to frost and freeze.

Temperature averages are just that. It means they take in data that some years the low for that day is 15F and another year it is 64F. It is an average taken from many years of figures. Tropical and arctic temps are easier to rely on.
Yes, I once had to replant all my peppers and tomatoes in very early June because of a May series of frosts and light freezes that left them either dying or stunted. By the time I realized how damaged they were I didn't get my main crop of tomatoes in till June 15 but it turned out to be an unusually cool summer that year and we had a very late fall so it actually worked out well despite the hassle. It always pays to have plenty of replacement plants down here especially when spring planting is starting.

Despite how hard it is to do I always watch my tulip poplars to see when they start leafing out before planting tomatoes or other frost sensitive seedlings no matter what the weather feels or looks like. So far no losses since following this native tree which for the past 20 years has not missed signalling a late frost or freeze by delaying opening up despite unseasonably warm weather.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #57
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Of all the places that I have been, PNW has the most predictable spring frost weather. NEVER a frost after April. But then spring cool weather can linger all the way to July.

In Atlanta GA , when the red bud flowered it was officially spring. and never a frost/freeze after May. That is what I experienced in 10 years. I know parts of Texas (Dallas area )you can have brutal cold winters and scorching hot summers. I have relative who live down there.

Happy Gardening !
Old November 22, 2016   #58
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, if your relative in the Dallas area lived here last year, they got see something really odd. 62.61 inches of precipitation (rain) and sandwiched between the rainy seasons was 41 days without any precipitation from July 9 - August 18, 2015. The third most driest consecutive days. The 62.61 inches of rainfall in 2015 blew away the record of 53.53".

DFW Airport is poor place to keep weather records. It is almost always wetter/colder/hotter just a few miles away.. At our house some 50+ miles to the south, we had over 73 inches of rainfall in 2015. There were many days that our 5" rain gauge overfilled.

I do agree that knowing the averages is a very useful tool, but it doesn't tell, "The rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. I miss hearing him. I found this one because it's just before Thanksgiving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG72ld2kgOo
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #59
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

I remember one time the Astros game was rained out!! Parking lot was lake . 12 inches in 2 hrs!!!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #60
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

TALKING weather; Last night was our 4th frost night in a row.
I have a simple weather station with a sensor outside and a receiver inside. It also keeps 24 hour records of H, L, RH. our low last night dipped to 28F and our high yesterday was 65F.
But its going to get out of the frost hole for a while. My mustard green germinated in the garden survives all that.

Happy Gardening !