Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2013   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Organic fertilizer...does it work?

I posted this on the Gen. discussion....thinking you are the experts! My container tomatoes are doing well. Some are in custom mix...some in MG type commercial mixes. If I use an organic fert like tomato tone....will that work for me? I have used synthetics so far. I have read about micro herds and the like. Also, there is supposedly microbes in all mixes soils....but maybe not in high enough numbers??? What is the deal?
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #2
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I have always used various organic fertilizers and most of my tomatoes are container grown as well. I have had great success just with keeping up with a regular routine of adding bone meal, fish emulsion, adding a good composted manure to my soil, using epsom salts and using a Green Earth fertilizer every now and again.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

All I can say is that organic ferts work in the ground. Containers are different, so you'll need to get advise from organic container growers.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Organic is certainly possible in standard containers and most who are successful add 1/3 to 1/2 manures and/or composts. Easier with some crops than others. Tomatoes as an example are pretty strong growers and heavy feeders. Growing organically in Self-Watering-Containers is a good bit more challenging. I have switched most of my containers and all of my Earthbox SWCs to synthetics.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Works fine. Although you probably should add some minerals, especially Mg. I personally have had better success with organic than not, for some reason. I use a 7-3-10 made in germany, but I have a feeling 10 is too much K for containers, I'll try next year a 7-3-6.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #6
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I've had good success with Neptune liquid ferts both in the ground and in containers.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #7
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

I have been using the bioflora organic crumbles in both containers and raised beds. Purchased them from Ag RX in Somis (good price compared to buying at the standard retail stores). My tomatoes in 15 gallon containers have done fine with it. I have not tried/compared with non-orgainc ferts though as I am trying to stay organic. I believe it is a 6-6-5 fert with 8% Ca. I do usually add some home made compost to all my containers too.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote