Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2020   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Take it easy out there! The plants are not worth it if they are causing you that much distress. If they get to be too much, just start topping them and enjoy what you can from the lower trusses.

And for next year let us know which dwarf varieties you want and I'm sure there will be seed offers from some of us.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #17
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I am actually OK now, it is what it is.It won't be so bad now as I got the poles in, tethered to the top and all the toms tied up to date.Now I just have to prune a bit as I need to, and keep watering and feeding. I ain't getting any younger but am a pretty determined old gal!!I think it was mistake to put a Tasti Lee in there, I have never grown it before so was surprised to see how rampant it is and so wide.It is derminate too. I should have put it in a big pot but I think it is too late to mve it now.

I shall look forward to nest year when I just have the dwarfs.

Thank you for caring XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #18
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeannine. I have been thinking of you and this topic as I tend my dwarfs this year. Mine are growing in larger pots, 8 gal, than I have used in the past. I am finding that the dwarfs are fuller and taller than past years when they were grown in smaller, 5 gal. pots. So, just a thought about the influence of pot size on plant size that might be of some help to you.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #19
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Hi Jeannine. I have been thinking of you and this topic as I tend my dwarfs this year.

I've been doing the same thing too.

Jeannine: My two dwarf varieties (Loxton Lass and Dwarf Peppermint Stripes) are both currently about four feet tall, which is a typical dwarf size for me at this time of year. I use ten gallon containers (bigger root-zone) and get less direct sunlight than most (which means they stretch), so my dwarf plants are usually 4-5 feet tall by the end of the season. I don't think either would suit your needs of a plant that is a maximum of 3 feet tall. New Big Dwarf still fits that height profile though.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2020   #20
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Yukon Quest was one I grew in the past that stayed quite short compared to other dwarfs I've tried. YK was pink and sweet.

A nice det. heart I have grown that many have mentioned in the past was EM Chammpion. It fits the size you want and was very productive as well as tasty.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2020   #21
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I need to get my mind on this and decide. The raised beds in my greenhouse are thigh high so even the shorter ones seem to be tall, but I have a step stool. My greenhouse turned into a jungle when I was out of action for 8 days so had to prune hard,,now it looks sort of bare. I am getting some whoppers though.

I will need to buy my syeds this teat as I can't run the risk of there not being any.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote