Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 24, 2020   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

SauerKraut

March 7th, 2020

Well, it has been a long time since I made some Fermented Sauerkraut.

3 tablespoons of salt per 5 pounds of shredded cabbage
I tried using a food processor with no luck, I ended up using my Boerner V-Slicer.

Store bought Cabbage

• Working in 5 pound increments I would add 1/3rd of each bowl, sprinkle a little salt and continue until all 5 pounds were added then I would start shredding my next 5 pounds. This way, the salt had some time to draw out the moisture and also it was an easy way to gauge the salt-to-cabbage ratio.

• In between each 5 pounds being added, I would knead the cabbage a bit.

March 10th, 2020

March 21st, 2020

• No funky growth at all, I'm a happy camper

• I refrigerated a 25 oz jar raw for hot dog toppings. A quick taste test and I was extremely satisfied.

• The rest was canned for storage. I had to make a salt brine to top the jars before canning. 1 quart of water to 2 tablespoons salt.

• I got a little more than 8.5 quarts out of the shredded 18 pounds of cabbage (5 heads)

Procedure

1. Work with about 5 pounds of cabbage at a time. Discard outer leaves. Rinse heads under cold running water and drain. Cut heads in quarters and remove cores. Shred or slice to a thickness of a quarter.
  2. Put cabbage in a suitable fermentation container and add 3 tablespoons of salt. Mix thoroughly, using clean hands.
  3. Pack firmly until salt draws juices from cabbage.
  4. Repeat shredding, salting, and packing until all cabbage is in the container. Be sure it is deep enough so that its rim is at least 4 or 5 inches above the cabbage. If juice does not cover cabbage, add boiled and cooled brine (1½ tablespoons of salt per quart of water).
  5. Add plate and weights, cover container with a clean bath towel.
  6. Store at 65° to 75° F while fermenting. At temperatures between 70° and 75° F, kraut will be fully fermented in about is little as 1 week but can go on to 3 to 4 weeks; at 60° to 65° F, fermentation may take 5 to 6 weeks. At temperatures lower than 60° F, kraut may not ferment. Above 75° F, kraut may become soft. If you weigh the cabbage down with a brine-filled bag, do not disturb the crock until normal fermentation is completed (when bubbling ceases). If you use jars as weights, you will have to check the kraut 2 to 3 times each week and remove scum if it forms.

Fully fermented kraut may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for several months or it may be canned as follows:
  • Hot pack: Bring kraut and liquid slowly to a boil in a large kettle, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and fill jars rather firmly with kraut and juices, leaving a ½-inch headspace.
  • Raw pack: Fill jars firmly with kraut and cover with juices, leaving a ½-inch headspace.
I sanitized my jars due to water bath canning requirements and raw pack canned this batch.

Boiling water process times

Hot Pack Raw PackPint: 10 minutes Pints: 20 minutesQuarts: 15 minutes Quarts: 25 minutes
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I don't think you need to can Sauerkraut. You'll kill all the beneficial bacteria. Just keep it in the fridge and it'll keep for ever so long as it is submerged in the brine. But, let me add that I loved this post because I love making homemade sauerkraut and it is great to see others making it too.

Last edited by recruiterg; March 24, 2020 at 05:05 PM.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #3
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Yes I'm aware of the Lactobacilli being killed, that's why I didn't can it all.
I would love to keep it all raw but would need a walk in refrigerator to store it. I'm already fighting for refrigerator space for my other accoutrements.
Old March 25, 2020   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If you use a fermentation pot (like the ones with water in the lid) you can keep it for 1-2 years in the cellar, and maybe in the house, if it's not super hot. As long as you don't open it and you don't allow the water to evaporate completely (this is actually the biggest problem). The fermentation has replaced all the oxygen, so it's kinda like a vacuum in there.
I love some good old fermented cabbage, done simple like this.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020   #5
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Zipcode, some folks do that right in the mason jars and pop on the shelf. I have read where folks constantly keep a batch going and add to it.
You could probably also just use Fido Jars.
I like it both ways but prefer it raw as an accoutrement on my dogs. I like it cooked for my kielbasa and sauerkraut.