Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 8, 2006   #11
creister
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Get as many leaves as possible and dump them and shred them up with your lawn mower. The only thing you may want to do, is add a little extra nitrogen, as leaves are high in carbon. I just put about some alfalfa pellets. I also don't till, just let them lay. Soil gets better every year.

I posted a question at gw a while back about mulches keeping the soil cooler in the spring. Consensus was that they did not. Gimmie is right about the nutrient value of leaves. I get all kinds here, oak, maple, pecan, mesquite, mulberry, ash. Haven't seen anything but good.

The poster who was worried about looking crazy, I just go knock on the door. I also bought a gasoline powered shredder vac (Echo brand) and go and rake yards and shred them up.

Leaves are great stuff, don't let them go to waste.
I remember my grandfather always put all the fall leaves in his garden area. He always had great gardens.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote