Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 7, 2010   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default I Am So Mad

I'm at a loss for words
http://drtomato.blogspot.com/ *
Remy

*If you go there now(9/9) the original post slamming Tania's site, my site, and Tomatoville is gone. He now has vague the vague "due to other other companies being jerks..."

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop

Last edited by remy; September 9, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Updated Info
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Interesting way to try and turn the facts around to suit his platform. Reminds me of some other folk I know of-actually reminds me of a lot of folk I know of.
Old September 7, 2010   #3
remy

I forgot to say that I was very nice to him so that makes e even madder. Here's our email exchange:

To: drtomato@yahoo.com
Sent: Wed, August 25, 2010 3:15:40 PM
Subject: My Tomato Photos

Hello Thomas,
I was alert through a thread on Tomatoville that you were using pics that were not your own. I found to my surprise, my photos of Burracker Favorite, Depp's, Eckert Polish, Grosse Cotelee, and Rose Beauty. You also have photos from Hilde R. of my Box Car Willie and a few of the other styrofoam plate pics I suspect may be her photos also.
I ask that you please remove the photos. I work very hard on my tomatoes and also photos. As I'm sure you do work hard on your web site and tomatoes. You would not like anyone to steal from you I'm sure. I know that many of the tomatoes you are selling the tomato seed can not be bought so you must be growing them. It would be a good idea to take photos of them yourself.
Thank you very much,
Remy

--- On Thu, 8/26/10, Tom Duncan <drtomato@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: My Tomato Photos
To: "Remy" <sampleseeds@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 1:06 PM

It does not surprise me coming from Tomato-ville. Not all but lots of the people on that website have nothing better to do than complain about others. 1st they complained about my spelling than about my set up and now about pictures. I will remove your pictures since it is simple to replace them with my own. I was raise different than most people I believe in sharing and helping others so anyone can use my pictures because I am proud of what I grow.I don't consider it stealing I consider it an honor if they use mine.

Dear Tom,
I've never complained about you in my life. I am a very generous person, but I am your competitor, and you should not use what is not yours without asking.
I have a gardening story for you:
When I was a little kid, I grew up down the street from Mr. Freddie. Mr. Freddie was born in the 1880's. He was a WWI war hero and was a fantastic gardener. I used to go down the street to visit him often in his garden. He taught me many things about gardening. He used to give me things like strawberries. One day, I went down there alone and helped myself to his strawberries. He caught me out there and told me, "It is one thing to be given something from someone. It another to take without asking even if you were given it before, and even if it is just a strawberry. It is stealing, and you should never do that."

Thank you for writing back, and I appreciate your removal of my photos.
Sincerely,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!

Last edited by remy; September 7, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spacing
Old September 7, 2010   #4
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I am not at a loss for words. However, the first word that came to mind would probably not be appropriate for posting here.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #5
tyrupp
Tomatovillian™

Publicity good or bad is still publicity.The cream always rises to the top. If a person is to lazy to take a picture, they are probably not going to be in busyness very long.(many a slip betwixst the cup and lip)
tyrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

There is a place for comments on his blog. Perhaps a few comments in support of Tania and Remy's sites are in order.

Edit: He requires a google account for commenters. No wonder no comments.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #7
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

don't sweat it...your sample seed shop is excellent and everyone knows it.

I understand the frustration, but this person is clearly struggling in more ways than one. Long live the Sample Seed Shop!

matt
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #8
remy

Thank you all very much! I've calmed down a bit. I could hardly type before.

mdvpc,
"Where I live now, we would use the term "pendejo" to describe him. Pls dont google it-trust me, it describes him."
I actually know what that means! Thanks for the laugh.
Remy

Old September 7, 2010   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

"I was raise different than most people I believe in sharing and helping others so anyone can use my pictures because I am proud of what I grow.I don't consider it stealing I consider it an honor if they use mine."

I dont care about his grammar or spelling-not important. But where I come from, you ask if you want to use something of someone else'-thats common courtesy.

Where I live now, we would use the term "pendejo" to describe him. Pls dont google it-trust me, it describes him.

Also, "Perhaps a few comments in support of Tania and Remy's sites are in order." Actually, I dont think they need comments-their work speaks for itself. I have never ordered from Remy, but have looked at ALL the posting and comments about her seeds, and she is real. Tania, I have a lot of experience with, and she is real +.

Dont waste your time on this guy-he's not worth it. He is a very small fish in a very big pond,
Old September 7, 2010   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Remy: Lets keep it between ourselves-ok?
Old September 7, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's time I take a look at his website. WOuld someone please give me the link?

If I find that like some others he's lifted info from my book or from my SSE listings, and I mean verbatim, then I have no problem whatsoever in e-mailing him and setting him straight about that as well as not just Remy and Tania's valid complaints, but also Adam Gleckler's amd TGS and I think SSE photos as well.

And also ask him why only those with Google accounts can post comments to his blog?

In the past I've let several things go and regretted doing so as I look back.
Old September 7, 2010   #12
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I would add a comment to that "person's site" (the best name I can say now) but I am sure it would be deleted right away. Just goes to show some people have no respect.

Remy I purchased from 4 or 5 places last year and will look to you or Tatiana's sight for next years purchases.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #13
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

yup,

pendejo pretty much describes him to a tee.

and the rest of him isn't too smart either

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #14
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Ah Remy I replied to his post on Blogspot. I defended the folks that have head there pictures used.

Hold on there.It is not the fact you used the pics but that you used them without permission.These are good folks that I have known for about three years.None of them have done harm to anyone.If you see a pic on someones site ask if you want to use it. 9 times out of 10 they will let you use them as long as you give credit for them. Any of us would show you the same courtesy.

Kevin

September 7, 2010 9:55 PM

I might add it seems kind of cheesy if not lazy to use another companies pics. That would be like Baker Creek using some of Burpee's photo's.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2010   #15
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

As far as the comments go, many bloggers have the comments section set so they don't post until the blog owner "approves" the comment. I doubt he would approve any comments that he would receive from us.

BTW, I had an email exchange with him last year about another matter that didn't make him look very business-like back then. We had a short but cordial exchange at that time. But he does have some issues.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote