Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 26, 2008   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Alpine Strawberries?

Has anyone started these from seed? I'm wondering how easy or difficult it might be. Also if these tiny strawberries grow well in high heat and humidity. Thanks for any info you may have.
Old January 26, 2008   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Has anyone started these from seed? I'm wondering how easy or difficult it might be. Also if these tiny strawberries grow well in high heat and humidity. Thanks for any info you may have.
I started these from seed last year. The seeds are almost invisible - you about need a microscope to see them. The seedlings are not much bigger. The germination rate was fine, but they ended up a leggy mess. Eventually I pitched the entire mess out into the herb garden.

Judging from the name, I would expect that they do not like high heat - even in high summer it isn't all that hot in the Alps. And I was looking at another alpine plant over at Growitalian.com this morning (edelweiss) where they especially noted that it likes things a bit dry.

Growitalian does have several varieties of alpine/European woodlands strawberries though. Might be worth looking at. The seeds that my daughter got last year came from Thompson & Morgan and I have to tell you that I am only moderately more "impressed" with their stuff than I was with the stuff off the rack at Walmart, none of which germinated. I did not order from T&M this year and can't see any circumstances where I would again.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Granny. Growitalian is exactly where I've been looking. These would get pretty dry because they'd be in terra cotta strawberry jars. I used to see these sold as plants in catalogs but I'm not having much luck right now. Seeds are cheap and if they croak, I won't be heartbroken, but just wondering what their chances would be here. Thanks!
Old January 26, 2008   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I grew these from seed a number of years ago. I didn't end up with too many plants, but the berries were very sweet (and small). Probably not actually worth the effort, in my opinion, unless you just want to try something new.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2008   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Sherry.
Old January 26, 2008   #6
felpec
Tomatovillian™

I started mine from seed about four years ago and have a nice little patch. The plants grew nicely the first summer and set a few fruit the second year. Last year, something (probably the deer) ate them early in the spring, but they bounced right back and were very prolific. Somehow, no matter how many I pick, the fruit never makes it into the jam pot. Actually, it never even makes it into the house.

I would think my area might be slightly cooler than VA Beach, but it still gets up in the 90's with lots of humidity. Mine just pout for a bit, then come on strong again as soon as the nights cool off just a bit.

Last edited by felpec; January 26, 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something...
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2008   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Felpec. Yours are planted in the ground?
Old January 27, 2008   #8
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Every year we grow Alpine strawberries from seed and they are doing fine in our garden but require to change old plants after 4 years due to better crop from young plants.

We start them from seeds at home in January-February or at greenhouse in late March-early April (in warm springs). Both ways go perfect, but I need to tell you our special methd of starting seeds in not to big wide pots with well-airated soil (sand 4/10+peat 2/10 +humus 4/10).

Place these small strawberry seeds just to cover the well-mixed soil. Then cover them with 5 cm of snow and hide the pot with a PVC. Put the pot to a cool (0 + 5 C) place (balcony/greenhouse/fridge) for 3-5 days for a quick stratification. Then let the seeds sprout at about +20 +25 C with a good everyday watering. Small seedlings with 2 leaves are to be transplant into single pots and maintaing t at +14 +16 C. Set up outdoor or in large pots when they get 6-7 leaves...

But I prefer wild strawberries most of all for their excellent smell and taste. Our forests are full of them in summer, but their fruit size is very small...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2008   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Andrey. I wonder where I can get some snow? I wish we had some!
Old January 27, 2008   #10
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Thank you, Andrey. I wonder where I can get some snow? I wish we had some!
Oh I'll send you some. No problem at all! How many feet would you like?8)
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2008   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'd like about a half a foot of snow, please. That would be enough to suit me. If it's going to be this cold, it could at least snow a little! My sister lives in Stowe and she said she'd had a lot this winter, in contrast to last winter when they had a green Christmas.
Old January 27, 2008   #12
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Yes, mine are in the ground. I use them as the border next to the garden path.

I'm one of those who constantly move plants around (usually from lack of planning on my part ), and I've divided and transplanted these a number of times, and they sure don't seem to mind.

I got a new variety this year called Alexandria (from Johnny's Seeds). Want to try some?

Quote:
Thanks, Felpec. Yours are planted in the ground?
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2008   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Felpec. I saw Alexandria in my on line searches. I'm still not sure I have any business growing these things. Part of me thinks it's a mistake in this heat and again in terra cotta pots. They'd only be hotter and drier in those. Most of my back yard is pool and concrete patio. I have a small area for my garden, which is at last half full of tomatoes, of course. I have a shady area in back that we use as the play area for the kids. My children would destroy any plants back there anyway. I could really only do these as container plants. That's why I asked about yours being in ground. I'm sure that helps keep them from drying out totally. I'm wondering what will happen if we go camping for a few days and nobody is around to water the little strawberries. On the other hand, I'm really attracted to the tiny little berries because we can't buy them in the store. My daughter won't touch a berry with a ten foot pole but they're my son's favorite. My other option is to grow just a few in a sort of clump in a half whiskey barrel and then they'd have a lot more moist soil to rely on. Oh, what to do, what to do...
Old January 27, 2008   #14
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I see your problem SB but I must jump in with my experience.
I grew these things many many years ago and forgot about them BUT, now that you have reminded me, they are a 'must grow'. Not for the great volume of berries, the plants are prolific but berry size is small; you can eat and eat them and never get enough. Just think of how one tries to get a nose-full of honysuckle scent!!
I should add that I don't particularly like strawberries but that is probably the result of marketing practice.
If I can find the seeds locally I will grow some, just for the taste.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008   #15
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

I know this is way late, but I'm hoping this will still be useful to you, Michelle. Alpine strawberries are not especially temp-sensitive, as long as they get enough moisture, but the concept of growing anything except succulents in "strawberry jars" belongs exclusively to moderate, moist, maritime climates. Think England or Ireland!

By all means use the half whisky barrel, and don't bother giving them prime sun space. Another name for them is "wood strawberries". I have them as a row lining a path in light shade from an ash tree, and they do fine. (for that matter, I have Tristars used as a groundcover on the sunnier side of the tree, and they don't mind - and I don't mind their not giving me unmanageably large crops.)

Propagation - seeds are readily available (Alexandria, Rugen, Pineapple, and others), somewhat slow to germinate and get to a decent size but otherwise easy. Plants are also readily available, and once you have a few, you can either divide the crowns or root the little leaf clusters which often follow the blossoms/fruit on tall stems. I let mine selfsow, even tho' I know that only the original row is the named variety.

Hope this helps, and yes, they are a very special taste, well worth the effort.

Robin
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote