Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 29, 2016   #16
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for your loss! There's a bird in my area that loves to rip seedlings out of the ground and just leave them there to shrivel up and die. Just found several flowers it ripped up yesterday.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #17
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

The trays are now surrounded LOL. A combo of glue on the perimeter and snaps on the approaches. This is war!

I did have the trays covered until I noticed a few seeds beginning to sprout and raise above the soil. That is when I removed the covers and turned on the lights, believing the remainder were soon to follow. Shortly thereafter is when the massacre began. A few were dug, but most were cut off with a little section of stem left as evidence. There was one section with several stems scattered about as if they had been gathered in one spot for a feast. LOL.
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://lifehacker.com/5911666/build-...ing-mouse-trap

Here is a alternative for us who really do not want to kill our furry cousins.Now insects that cause disease,crop damage etc. it is all out war.I would rather relocate them that to outright slaughter.There are plenty of other versions on U Tube,and yes this one does work for mice,with rats you will need a actual trap,they can jump out of a standard bucket.

Last edited by kurt; March 1, 2016 at 06:51 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
+1
Agreed- +2
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #20
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Happened to me last year. Pulled out all the stops with sticky traps & d-con.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2016   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://lifehacker.com/5911666/build-...ing-mouse-trap

Here is a alternative for us who really do not want to kill our furry cousins.Now insects that cause disease,crop damage etc. it is all out war.I would rather relocate them that to outright slaughter.There are plenty of other versions on U Tube,and yes this one does work for mice,with rats you will need a actual trap,they can jump out of a standard bucket.
rodents are just as disgusting as insects for carrying diseases. relocating them isn't any better for them than trapping them and killing them. Relocation means they have to find food and water (perhaps starving to death) while still competing with other rodents/animals (fighting and injury occurs leaving them to die a slow death) with established territory. they still destroy crops in the field. I have had them ruin my cantaloupes just as they are getting ripe.. looking for the moisture and eating the seeds out of them. any fruit that is gnawed on has to be thrown away. who wants a fruit or vegetable that has been opened by a rodent. none of my customers nor can I afford to take the chance of selling a questionable fruit. they steal my grapes as they are ripening, they get in my packing shed... gross. Who wants to have something that is packed in a carton that perhaps mice nested in the box or urinated on part of it. They have destroyed my egg cartons (one corner down the whole stack.. hundreds of cartons) stored in the shed. no... I will trap and kill them. anyone who has had GAPS training will tell you what a stickler the dept of ag inspector is over rodents and animals in a packing shed. where you have rodents you have cats or dogs looking for them tracking in feces and dirt, dander and slobber...etc. no rodents in my greenhouse or shed.
Old March 1, 2016   #22
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Mouse 0, Me 1. Caught one of the little buggers. (I'm assuming there's more). I would say they "since they breed like rabbits", but that couldn't be true. LOL. Whoever coined that term has not tried to raise rabbits. . Rabbits aside, he was sure plump, so must have been eating well.

Last night I went through the two trays I had and there were two survivors of the initial onslaught - a GGWT and and a Iraqi Heart. Hopefully I didn't damage the GGWT as I nearly dug her up rooting round in the cell looking for signs of life. I searched each of the other cells and found only a few seeds that didn't germinate, other than that - nothing, with exception of a few dried stem pieces. I replanted all cells and, fingers crossed, hoping for a better outcome this time around, as my seed supply is limited and time is running out for starting / re-starting.
Old March 1, 2016   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I was just out in the greenhouse offering a friend some recycled baskets someone dropped off( I was going to burn them if she didn't want them) and as I was picking up a box out jumped a mouse... grrr! so I went and fetched my traps. One dead mouse coming up! i tried to get it with a box but missed. they sure are quick! the corn snake will be delighted ( that is if snakes can be delighted)!
Old March 1, 2016   #24
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Here is a short video with the slickest mouse trap trigger I have ever saw. I would say the young man "built a better mouse trap". For those of you that are industrious, it would be easily built. I know when time allows, I'm gonna build a couple!
https://youtu.be/l4PaGvAhV9I
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I set a trail cam up, pointing at a couple of mouse traps at my cabin. Got some great video, but I'm thinking it's not a good idea to post any of them here.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #26
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Oh shoot. LOL. You're probably right.

The youtube video was interesting They're not very smart to keep coming back for more, but their jumping abilities are exceptional. The trap design was neat.
Old March 2, 2016   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

SCORE! 1 dead mouse in my greenhouse... already taken to the snake... whoo whee! if a snake can be pretty, this one was. It is a corn snake, striped orange and tan. Cool looking. I had never seen it before, just supplied mice as I caught them.
Old March 2, 2016   #28
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Rodents carried the bubonic plague. That is reason enough for me to hate mice.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is my fool proof mouse trap works every time.
Smokey doing her part in the elimination of mice and rats.
Just took this picture.
Small mouse right above her right ear.
Worth
IMG_20160302_30132.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2016   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Where I live, the countryside just teems with field mice. My mom has a cat that hasn't eaten cat food in years. She lives in an old combine. I see her hunting during the day. Then she is smart enough to go back into the combine at sunset before the coyotes come out. She's been there five or six years now, even in snow and ice and the coldest weather.

Snakes help a lot to cull the mouse population. I've also seen a hawk fly by carrying a snake he just caught. Circle of life.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote