Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 1, 2013   #31
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I must have the easy-grow gardenias in my yard. The only time I pay any attention to them is when Im armed with pruning shears. Mine are the really-really smelly ones. Seriously, the only problem they ever have is some sooty mold in the rainy season. I've rooted them by just sticking pruned parts right in the leaf-mold ground and trying to remember to dig them up a few months later.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2013   #32
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

They like humidity. Here it's amazing that this is my first success.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2013   #33
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I guess they just don't like the So California climate. Do others grow them there? They love the warm summer rainy season here in Florida.
Old February 1, 2013   #34
Deborah

In me whole life I've only seen two old and thriving, and they were in the ground. One was inland and one on the coast.
Each was about four feet tall.
Old February 1, 2013   #35
awsumth
Tomatovillian™

I have seen many gardenias planted in yards across Florida. Mine has had some whitefly or mite problem for a few months now that I hadn't taken care of until this week.

Mine is nearly flowering now too... they only flower in the spring (at least for me). Make sure you polish the leaves with leaf shine, it takes off a lot of disease and insects too and makes it look much nicer. Also I just tried Bayer Advanced insect control for trees and shrubs, the stuff you put into the soil and the plant uptakes. I've seen a lot less whiteflies and aphids lately.. I hope it works.

I have mine planted in MG potting mix and I give it MG with Miracid every so often. I'm thinking of planting it outside of my bedroom window soon.

Good luck with your gardenia. Keep it hydrated and pest free and it should do just fine in your climate.
awsumth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2013   #36
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

A long time ago I used to diligently spray them with volks oil in the cool months. I don't bother much with them anymore, but this thread has motivated me to maybe take better care of them this year. I grew them all from cutting maybe 10 yrs ago, but they are in a somewhat forgotten corner of my property.
Old February 3, 2013   #37
Deborah

I'm going with, "If it works don't fix it" because this gardenia is the only success I've ever had. I decided when I bought it that it was going to a case of tough love since all my pampering in the past was a waste of effort.
I haven't even potted it, it's still in the nursery pot !
Old February 9, 2013   #38
Deborah

Gulp. I had to pot it into a bigger pot today, it's been wilting and needing water every day. And now we wait...
Old February 9, 2013   #39
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I love gardenias but we only think of them as houseplants. The kind you get for Easter, and then they flower and die lol. You are all making me want to go buy a new gardenia.

After all, why should you all suffer alone?
Old February 9, 2013   #40
Deborah

LOL. This one is a one gallon outdoor plant. I'd be scared of the indoor ones. I needed a real toughie and hopefully she is !
Old February 9, 2013   #41
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know you could grow a gardenia in a container! Maybe thats why it's being so difficult.
Old February 27, 2013   #42
Deborah

She's still growing strong after her transplant to a beautiful blue pot ! I think I FINALLY have my gardenia !
Old April 25, 2013   #43
Deborah

Welp, today was the day. I dragged it to the trash. It did well at first but not for quite awhile now.
It stayed green in the shade but wouldn't flower, and burned even in light, dappled sunlight.
There just simply was no return for my investment of money, time and stressing over the darn thing.
It is now official: If I never see another gardenia that's fine with me !
To heck with 'em !
Old April 26, 2013   #44
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

You know... every time I see or smell a gardenia beckoning to me at a nursery, I always think of this thread. I suspect you've saved me a lot of heartache
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013   #45
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Welp, today was the day. I dragged it to the trash. It did well at first but not for quite awhile now.
It stayed green in the shade but wouldn't flower, and burned even in light, dappled sunlight.
There just simply was no return for my investment of money, time and stressing over the darn thing.
It is now official: If I never see another gardenia that's fine with me !
To heck with 'em !
Should have planted it IN THE GROUND on the north side of the house.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote