Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 6, 2010   #46
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

I'm planting my few peppers next week, and my mater the second week of february for plant out in mid to late april. I'm wanting to get them nice big and bushy before plant out.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'll be starting my first batch of tomatoes and peppers this week and will continue every few weeks right through July. I will be starting some of all my peppers and the very early and cold tolerant varieties of tomatoes this week. In two weeks will start more of the ones that don't germinate good and also the varieties that don't set fruit in heat. After that I'll plant heat tolerant varieties until July and in July will again start varieties with short maturities for the fall garden.
This method gives me a lot of extra plants to give away but I always have some plants ready to go into the garden to replace something that is finished whether it be cucumbers or a tomato.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010   #48
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

OK, I didn't get it done New Year's Day. But I got it done on the 6th! Maters, a few eggplants and some peppers. NOT doing squash under the dome this year, learned my lesson last year. (They get too tall too fast, plus they are a shorter crop and I was under pressure to put them in the ground early.)
Old January 8, 2010   #49
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

January 23 or 24. I have a feeling winter will drag on a little longer than usual this year.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010   #50
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I have been trying to start for 2 weeks but haven't seemed to find the time - so anyday now
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010   #51
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I hope to have all my tomato and pepper seeds sowed by 1/10 to 1/15. That way, I'll have decent sized tomato transplants ready to set out by mid March. I don't usually plant out peppers until the last week of March to 4/1.

Nothing sowed yet, but I do have my flats rinsed and bleached. Still working on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
January 23 or 24. I have a feeling winter will drag on a little longer than usual this year.
Bob - I'm wondering about that too. In any case, as cold as it has been in Texas this winter, even if we don't have "late" frosts or freezes, I figure it's definitely going to have an effect on soil temperature. It is supposed to get down to either 13F or 11F here tonight in Elgin/Bastrop, and 14-16F tomorrow night. Just beyond unbelievable, and especially to have it drop that low two nights in a row. I see that even parts of Houston and San Antonio have a hard freeze warning in effect. Wow.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2010   #52
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Started a few seeds 2 days ago with a transplant target date towards the end of February.

Suze, I have given the soil temp thing some thought as well since we are having a colder than normal winter here in South Texas. I have planted out as early as the 2nd week of Feb but moved that up 10 days or so with that in thought. I also put mulch down pretty quickly after I have transplanted and plan to hold off on that this year in hopes of helping warm the soil
Old January 11, 2010   #53
jtharper76
Tomatovillian™

Over here in South Louisiana, I will be starting mine this week. I will also start working with my soil once it get above freezing here in SOUTH LOUISIANA. This morning it was a balmy 19 degrees. SOUTH LOUISIANA, huh!!!!
jtharper76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #54
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya, I normally have my soil completely ready to go at this point. This fall it has just been too wet for me to do much. But after last spring and summer drought I will not complain. I have baby plants beginning to peek their heads out of the soil as of this morning.
Old January 12, 2010   #55
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I went out and tromped around the beds today. The broccoli is recovering but the peas have had it. Usually I see some 'mater volunteers but this past cold snap killed them stone cold dead. I won't be doing any serious soil work until March 1 because of the broccoli. I'm not complaining: broccoli is num-nums and it's going to be cold through spring break this year, I'm feeling.
Old January 13, 2010   #56
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Haha my garden is hidden under 2 feet of snow. You guys are making me very jealous. Once the white stuff goes and the ground thaws, will be another month at least before it's dry enough to even look at....
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #57
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Took the plunge last night - January 12- planting seeds in cells, covering them with plastic and now the wait to germinate begins! I hope to plant out starting mid March. This is only my second time to plants from seed, so this is still experimental time wise. I know last time, under grow lights in a cool garage the growth from sprout to transplant was very slow (2 months for smallish transplants). This year I'm adding heated floor mats to the mix and hope this will increase the sprout to transplant growth time line. Plus with the extreme cold this winter, the garage would be too darn cold without a heat source other than lights. I also went nuts and bought water walls to see what that does for me in March, which often ranges from cold to warm.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2010   #58
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Central Kentucky (Zone 6)

Start seeds first of March. Plant every year the week after 'Derby' (remember I live in Kenucky ), which is second week of May.
Old January 24, 2010   #59
Flame of Bodensee
Tomatovillian™

well some peppers are seedlings since 21 January second row sowed today.
last year i started with the tomatoes in january first week, the plants grow too high without blooms till i could plant them out so i harvest less till the plants died.
So i start tomatoes in march only, till july the grow fast then.
Old January 24, 2010   #60
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Default what kind?

Hi pacmanJohn,

Just curious? The picture you have on your ID, what kind of tomato's are they? I would like to find some if I do not have them already.

Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
Central Kentucky (Zone 6)

Start seeds first of March. Plant every year the week after 'Derby' (remember I live in Kenucky ), which is second week of May.
rhynes_boomer is offline   Reply With Quote