Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 12, 2013   #46
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Compared to the bland hot-house tomatoes, Kumatos taste really good. Compared to heirloom, they're bland and uninspiring. I do buy them, because of the qualities Travis pointed out, particularly their long shelf life.

Growing tomatoes casually is not easy, and a round of blight can ruin an entire crop making your efforts a complete waste. But it's well worth it based on what I've reaped thus far, making me determined to grow again next year. I had a long and drawn out battle with fungus gnats that frustrated me to no end, until I wised up and used Mosquito Bits to eradicate them. Now all is well.

That said... if Kumato tomatoes are hearty enough to grow in the window sill of a home during the winter months, I may have to give it a go.