Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 8, 2014   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I find the odor is usefull for keeping away pest and the smell isn't any worse than my horse manure pile. I normally mix mine in a 5/1 ratio and like to add comfrey leaves sometimes as well. I am actually doing a side by side experiment right now to measure the difference in growth of tomato seedlings fertilized with urine and those not. To each his own I reckon but for me it has proven useful in many ways, and best of all it's free.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I find the odor is usefull for keeping away pest and the smell isn't any worse than my horse manure pile. I normally mix mine in a 5/1 ratio and like to add comfrey leaves sometimes as well. I am actually doing a side by side experiment right now to measure the difference in growth of tomato seedlings fertilized with urine and those not. To each his own I reckon but for me it has proven useful in many ways, and best of all it's free.
Urine is free, and doesn't even stink much if you dilute and use it right away instead of trying to save it. But I still contend the best way to fertilize without compost is the creative use of companion plants and cover crops and mulches.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2014   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is a method to minimize urine odor and maximize its effectiveness. But first, there are a few things that will eliminate some donors.

Do not use urine from anyone who is: Sick, has cloudy urine, or has an infection.

The way to control odor is by drinking a lot of water (Not Soft Drinks, Tea, Coffee, Juice, Booze, etc.) just plain ole water. As an example: I drink 8 - 20 oz. glasses of water each day. That keeps me hydrated. It is important to stay hydrated for MANY reasons, but in this case - it means that you pee clear and basically odorless. So when you pee yellow or orange and it smells awful - it means you have not drank enough water...you are dehydrated.

Staying hydrated will make you feel better.

Men, staying hydrated helps you http://www.menshealth.com.sg/health/...and-better-sex It works at any age.

Hopefully this is okay with forum rules. Drink lots of water.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2014   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Human pee works great, but it isn't something "I" plan to incorporate into my regime. Last summer, my dwarf cherry bush twig from Gurneys suddenly grew to a healthy looking 3 foot shrub. One day my teenage son saw me weeding underneath, and got very concerned as thought it was a weed and he had done something wrong. All his friends had been relieving themselves in that particular spot for the two months the bathroom in the house was under renovation. Finally I got my bathroom running again but the bush seems to be sad and new growth stopped entirely once the attention ended. It was just foliage though.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2014   #20
solid7
Tomatovillian™

To answer your original question, YES to rabbit manure. Mix it in with the mix in your SIP. My assumption is that you already have a good mix for an SIP, so I won't speak to that. You can either mix in at a rate of up to 1/2 cup per gallon, or you can mix about 4 cups into the fertilizer strip. It does not need to be composted. There will, undoubtedly, be some naysayers, but I've been using rabbit manure like this in both traditional containers, and SIP, and it works very well. It costs me about $30 a month to keep 2 rabbits, so you might even consider soemthing like that, if you want a renewable source, without having to transport the end product. I build my rabbit cages around a flood and drain table that they were throwing out at the local hydroponics store.
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote