Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 16, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Pros and Cons. Nursery containers VS Totes

I know many of you have tried both the standard black nursery containers and also the totes of various sizes and colors. I am curious to know some of the pros and cons of each, especially where durability is concerned. I've used nursery containers and they are very tough and last a long time. The negative side is that the black plastic heats up trememdously in mid-late summer, they can be expensive, and other than having a wholesale license they can be hard to buy in quanity. But before I bought totes I wanted to be sure they are durable, the plastic can handle the sun rays, that they are resistant to cracking, and that they will last season after season. Maybe they aren't, just not sure how well they will hold up season after season. I've seen comment here that the tougher Rubbermaid's last a long time.

I'd like to have at least 24 plants in large containers this year, but am having trouble finding that many large nursery containers. I found some on line, but the shipping was half as much as the cost of the containers. Before I stock up on the totes I thought I'd ask again here for a comparison from those of you that have tried both.

Thanks!

Don
Old March 16, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

So you want something bigger than 5 gal. I paint about 5 houses a year and end up with like 20 5 gal buckets that I treat like gold. I grow tomatoes, bell peppers, etc, etc in them. Plus you can move them around with a dolly. You could call a few resturants because a lot of stuff come in them like pickles and such.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2008   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Don-I have been using the easi-lift grow bags from groworganic.com for years-they are white so they dont heat up as much. I have used the same grow bags for at least 5 years and they are still going. I clean them with bleach and a soap solution after the season and fold them and put them in a box. The only time I have had to throw them away is when I broke the handle on one and tossed it. Here is the link for the 15 gallon.

http://www.groworganic.com/item_GP26...ml?pMode=HiRes

They also have 30 gallon.