Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 12, 2007   #1
Plaz
Tomatovillian™

Default What can I do about small ants???

I have 5 tomato plants and I've notice that I'm starting to get a minor ant problem on one of them. I notice them crawling on the plant and a couple of the tomatoes have holes in them. I'm not 100% sure the ants made the holes, but do know that they were inside the tomatoes (both ripe and green ones). So far I haven't used any insecticides but I'm not against using them. Can anyone make any suggestions? The ants are the tiny black ants that you see on sidewalks walking in a line from time to time.

Thanks!
Plaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Plaz-I use diatomaceous earth-its an organic method and will take care of your ants-I use it with a dustin mizer that very lightly coats the plant and surrounding area-dont get it wet-in a day or two it will greatly reduce your ant population-they are bad, cause they bring aphids-it also works on aphids. I use a dust of de and pyrethrin sometimes together.

google the subject and you can read about it-but here is some info from one website:

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) consist of the sedimentary deposits formed from the skeletal remains of a class of algae (Bacillariophyceae) that occurs in both salt and fresh water and in soil. These remains form diatomite, an almost pure silica that is ground into an abrasive dust. When the tiny razor-sharp particles come in contact with an insect, they cause many tiny abrasions, resulting in loss of body fluids. DE is the secondary ingredient in a variety of insecticides. DE being a natural product is harmless to mammals and birds and is digestible by earthworms.
Old July 13, 2007   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I agree... good stuff... just wear a mask as the fine particles make me cough. Otherwise, very useful combo, even if your plants will look like they are covered in dust.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Grub-Glad you put that in-I should have. I use a mask and glasses-the de I buy has directions to do that.