Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 20, 2017   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default Early potatoes for longer storage

I have been growing Red Norland with great success, however they start growing eyes somewhere into December cold basement storage.
Any other varieties preferably early to mid that are productive but will keep longer?
I have tried other regular varieties from Menards but they are not as productive as Red Norland.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #2
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Am looking at this website. Anyone grown Reddale or Caribe in midwest?
http://www.woodprairie.com/category/...eason-potatoes.
I probably will do Red Norland as my main one but would like to try other varieites which will give me a bit longevity in storage.
Old March 28, 2017   #3
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Well, I ordered Reddale and Caribe to join my Red Norland. I will update my findings in case if anyone will be looking for Il area potato varieties
Old March 29, 2017   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow potatoes anymore, but always had good success with Red Pontiac, and they kept longer than Norland. You might try it sometime, if you haven't already.
GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2017   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I saved/ over wintered 3 types of fingerlings this year, La Ratte, French Fingerling and Rose Finn as the seed potatoes are $12/pound. I can buy certified Yukon Gold, Red Norland and a couple types of russets for 39 cents a pound from our local Rural King, so I've decided it's cheaper to buy these every year than to try and over winter.

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 31, 2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

The variety that does the best for us in all categories is Yukon Gold.

Kennebec is also great for us.

Those two are the best choices we've found, for us, though Red Norland and Superior have done well enough that I have a few to plant this year . . . wherever there's space after the Yukon Gold are provided with a good home.

For us, Red Norland has produced much better than Red Pontiac, though they do seem to be a "don't grow too many and use first" potato, no matter how carefully we try to store them.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2017   #7
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have never had any red ones keep as long as the white ones so I grow Red Norland and use them first and then the Kennebec which seem to be my best white keepers.

Storage conditions are important. All of my potatoes are kept in 1/2 bushel baskets in my cool, dark, basement up off of the concrete floor.

I do usually have to pick off small sprouts at least one time during the storage process. I keep my eye on them and when I see sprouts starting I pick them all off and then it is time to start using up all of the potatoes within about a month.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote