Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2018   #31
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with your Porters and blossom-set.
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #32
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by volare71 View Post
Porter Improved:
I found this variety, an old pack of Seeds of Change, and germinated them this year before I knew what they were. The Porter improved seeds were the most vigorous this spring in our green house so I have some hope that they will help solve my tomato problem
I have been looking for a variety that will tolerate the intense June heat here in the Verde Valley (34.56 lat.) Our problem is that as soon as the blossoms set the intense heat comes and we get no production until fall.
I have had some success with Oaxacan Pink tomatoes and am enthusiastic about the Porter Improved. I will save seed and report my success or lack of it on the forum. Stay tuned.
I have grown Porter for years. I still don't see a difference between Porter and Porter's Pride, Porter's Select, and Porter's improved. I think they are all the same thing. I really wanted to see a difference and - they're Porter. (My opinion and growing experience.)

This is what http://www.tomatogrowers.com/PORTER/productinfo/3139/ says, "Porter #3139 (30 seeds) Developed by a Texas seedsman. Pink fruited variety produces well in high temperatures. Egg-shaped fruit weighs about 1 oz. and has delicious taste for canning, juice or fresh eating. Indeterminate. 78 days."

I basically agree with their description above - other than in a warmer climate the DTM is between 65-70 days. In the Texas heat, they are the only tomato that I've had produce May through November when a freeze killed the plant.

Negative things:

Production does slow down when days are 98F and hotter.
Do not overwater Porter - you'll end up with bushy plants and bland mushy tomatoes.
They are not VFFFNTA...

Otherwise, they grow like weeds, and produce good tasting tomatoes that can be eaten fresh, made into sauce, salsa, canned, etc. It has a high balanced taste that is slightly more acidic than sweet when picked when they look ripe and ready.

From a biased perspective, Porter is my wife's and my first favorite tomato. I cannot imagine not growing Porter as long as I am a gardener. There are only two tomato varieties on our must grow every year list. Both are pink cherry tomatoes, Porter for that old fashion 'real tomato' taste, and Japanese Pink Cherry that is sweet, but not overly sweet. This is only our third year of growing JPC, but in observation - they seem to have some tolerance to RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3. Time will tell.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #33
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Texas Tomato in the Hardcore Southwest

Quote:
I will save seed
Glad to hear that, and, best of luck.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #34
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly enough, Porter was one of the first varieties of tomato seeds that I purchased after buying my house in Phoenix. If I recall, I purchased it because the description said it does well in heat compared to other varieties.
Old April 26, 2018   #35
volare71
Tomatovillian™

Default Porter's Improved in Central Arizona

The Mesquites have leafed out this week and my Porter's Improved tomato plants are going into the ground. They have had a healthy start from seed in early February and are sun hardened. Several already have blossoms. PHOTOS TO FOLLOW
volare71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #36
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I ordered seed from Porter in the 1980's and grew their tomato several times. I can see two distinctive different tomatoes with one more of a cherry/grape type and the other an oval egg shaped fruit similar in many ways to Rio Grande but smaller.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #37
volare71
Tomatovillian™

Default Porter Improved Second Year

Germinated my first batch of Porter Improved seeds from saved stock. the first seed germed in three days. Soe kind of record. Had great luck with them last year. Only two varieties this year porter imp and San Marzano.
volare71 is offline   Reply With Quote