Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2015   #16
drbobintx
Tomatovillian™

I applied for USDA Porter seeds (several varieties) from the 1960s this winter, but never heard back, so I'm guessing I wasn't approved.

These seeds are intended for research purposes, so I suppose I could have abused my university affiliation (although I'm not in a field even remotely related to horticulture), but I didn't feel like being dishonest. I know other seed growers have acquired USDA seeds in the past. Is there a special strategy for this?
drbobintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found Porter's Dark Cherry at http://www.amazon.com/Porters-Cherry.../dp/B00F9Q8JYO

There are other sites listing them, and they are a lot smaller than any I've ever grown.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #18
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobintx View Post
I applied for USDA Porter seeds (several varieties) from the 1960s this winter, but never heard back, so I'm guessing I wasn't approved.

These seeds are intended for research purposes, so I suppose I could have abused my university affiliation (although I'm not in a field even remotely related to horticulture), but I didn't feel like being dishonest. I know other seed growers have acquired USDA seeds in the past. Is there a special strategy for this?
I think if you actually used the seeds for research, then it wouldn't be dishonest at all.
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #19
drbobintx
Tomatovillian™

I gave them a brief research outline with a trial study for heatset tomato growouts, but I used my home address and didn't leverage my position, just to see what would happen. It didn't work. I was more than willing to document the process, but I guess they have no way of validating that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2015   #20
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It helps if you have a website and a legitimate seed/plant production business. I have never been denied any seed from ARS-Grin. On the other hand, I've never abused the privilege and I always make a point of using the seed for legitimate purposes.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #21
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Here is the size of the Porter that I am growing. Compared to a Gardeners Delight Cherry, the Porter is about 1/2 larger. A red GD on the left, a green Porter on the right. Porter is not considered a cherry even though it is small. I suppose those that cook sauce with them do not peel. Mine are usually eaten with salads.

OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #22
drbobintx
Tomatovillian™

Look what arrived today! USDA came through after 6 months. Not sure if I can get germination of these old seeds in time for plant out.

Last edited by drbobintx; June 9, 2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old June 9, 2015   #23
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Wow, congratulations!! I was hoping it was just taking a very long time. Could you grow them for your fall season? Maybe send some to someone else as backup?
Old June 9, 2015   #24
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Look what arrived today! USDA came through after 6 months. Not sure if I can get germination of these old seeds in time for plant out.

Thats cool, I had A feeling that you would get them eventually.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Good Deal!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #26
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Historical Drama

Quote:

Any germination?
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #27
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Missed it was a re-post.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #28
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

So , what is the verdict ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #29
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Looks as though DrBob has been on hiatus since 2 July 2015.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #30
volare71
Tomatovillian™

Porter Improved:
I found this variety, an old pack of Seeds of Change, and germinated them this year before I knew what they were. The Porter improved seeds were the most vigorous this spring in our green house so I have some hope that they will help solve my tomato problem
I have been looking for a variety that will tolerate the intense June heat here in the Verde Valley (34.56 lat.) Our problem is that as soon as the blossoms set the intense heat comes and we get no production until fall.
I have had some success with Oaxacan Pink tomatoes and am enthusiastic about the Porter Improved. I will save seed and report my success or lack of it on the forum. Stay tuned.
volare71 is offline   Reply With Quote