Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 15, 2018   #451
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

So curious to see your Midnight sun and true colors. I hope they are as gorgeous and early as last year. And tasty, I assume.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #452
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I just posted them but one is upside down and I can’t figure out how to turn it around! The other is sideways. I’m so frustrated!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #453
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Karen, I just posted them but one is upside down and I can’t figure out how to turn it around! The other is sideways. I’m so frustrated!
Hi Sharon I don’t know how to fix but in future if using a phone camera, shoot landscape with button to the right and the photos will load properly
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #454
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Growing well for early in the PNW season.
Shown here, the PL hearts on the right, assorted F3 beefsteaks on the left .
The greenhouse getting a bit less crowded but still a fair bit left to plant or find homes for
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ACFBD72-BC58-4C2E-9155-5057B05F6ED6.jpg (814.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg C57CBCA3-FDFD-4A84-8BC6-5B395CB6F960.jpg (711.3 KB, 147 views)
Old May 20, 2018   #455
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden! Amazing that you are getting early tomatoes already in the green house. Congrats, Karen!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #456
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Still have a lot of work ahead.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #457
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Just the beginning. Most don’t have theirs planted around here never mind 30” tall. A bit of sunburn and shabbiness they are growing out of already, I expect big ripe outdoor beefsteaks and hearts by somewhere around the first week in July.
K
Old May 20, 2018   #458
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Just the beginning. Most don’t have theirs planted around here never mind 30” tall. A bit of sunburn and shabbiness they are growing out of already, I expect big ripe outdoor beefsteaks and hearts by somewhere around the first week in July.
K
And maybe some dehydrated mangoes by then too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #459
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Growing well for early in the PNW season.
Shown here, the PL hearts on the right, assorted F3 beefsteaks on the left .
The greenhouse getting a bit less crowded but still a fair bit left to plant or find homes for
KarenO

wow looks so good and tall and healthy ! ...

do you put them in 10 inch pots indoors ? ...before transplant out side ..?

Next year I will put the large variety singletons in a 2 gallon square before outside transplant..... I was happy with things using 6 inch square pots inside before outside culture. but larger "starter" container sure makes the plants sturdy and ready to go

upon outdoor transplant ....

If I have less varieties and seedlings ...I will have more space for higher quality but less numbers of larger starter pots.
Old May 21, 2018   #460
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
....If I have less varieties and seedlings ...I will have more space for higher quality but less numbers of larger starter pots.
Less varieties and seedlings? Who are you and what have you done with the real BlackBear????!!!!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #461
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
wow looks so good and tall and healthy ! ...

do you put them in 10 inch pots indoors ? ...before transplant out side ..?

Next year I will put the large variety singletons in a 2 gallon square before outside transplant..... I was happy with things using 6 inch square pots inside before outside culture. but larger "starter" container sure makes the plants sturdy and ready to go

upon outdoor transplant ....

If I have less varieties and seedlings ...I will have more space for higher quality but less numbers of larger starter pots.
Hi B.B.,
They were in 18 oz cups in my greenhouse until transplant. Lots of water and fertilizer to get them growing tall and strong.
“Cold treatment” purposeful drought, no fertilizer until plant out are all things people swear by but I do the opposite. I do not purposefully try to slow or stunt my tomato seedlings. I go for maximum fast and vigorous growth and have spent time trying to encourage other northern gardeners that doing things this way will allow you to grow more tomatoes in a shorter season.
Strong light. Cool nights warm days. Consistent moisture and regular fertilizer from pot up. I use 1/4 to 1/2 strength all purpose miracle grow for my seedlings. The small greenhouse, heated at night if needed to keep it at or above 10 C. Is a necessary component but I do not use any fancy lights indoors, just ordinary fluorescent tubes. One cool one warm per fixture set up in front of a window.
They honestly don’t need bigger pots, but in small pots they need a lot of attention. I will plant one week later nex year, March 30 as these guys were a tad too big and thirsty before plant out.
KarenO
Old May 21, 2018   #462
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
K
Yes Karen, it works.

Mine were planted in their final containers the 1st week of May. After reading here for a couple of years now, I am more brave about putting them out into the cold and my yard has some shelter. No heat in my tarp 'green house', no pics.

I would need yet more lights if I used larger than 4" pots for seedlings (growing too many give-aways).
I hardened them off, moving them out for longer periods each day for about 2 weeks starting 04 18 2018.
1st time. Guard dog on duty. The only time they were on the ground.

Some in final containers with a little shelter on cool nights or days.

After reading how tall yours were I had to go out and measure!
Tallest are the two EM Champions at 26", the rest about 2'. Most are in bloom now.
I guess it's time to take some more pics. (A few physical issues have slowed me down lately or it would be done!)

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; May 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #463
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Yes Karen, it works.

Mine were planted in their final containers the 1st week of May. After reading here for a couple of years now, I am more brave about putting them out into the cold and my yard has some shelter. No heat in my tarp 'green house', no pics.

I would need yet more lights if I used larger than 4" pots for seedlings (growing too many give-aways).
I hardened them off, moving them out for longer periods each day for about 2 weeks starting 04 18 2018.

Tallest are the two EM Champions at 26", the rest about 2'. Most are in bloom now.
I guess it's time to take some more pics. (A few physical issues have slowed me down lately or it would be done!)
Thats the way to do it! they look awesome. Coming from Edmonton to the Island I also think that the idea that it is hard to grow tomatoes in the "cold wet spring" of the PNW has not been an issue at least for the last 3 seasons. I have found it quite easy here in my garden so far.
KarenO
K
Old May 21, 2018   #464
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Less varieties and seedlings? Who are you and what have you done with the real BlackBear????!!!!

Nan
you is soooo funny Nan....

Yes ...I will be slowly downsizing the hobby to a nice " neater " set up in the tunnel this year with

"berths" for 90 special plants ....will be setting up auto drip

and solar radio and solar fountain in there etc. about as many plants outside as well

But I will be reducing the varieties per year.

Maybe by 2019 I will be organized enough to try some of Karens fine PL developments.

Believe it or not my first fruit set was.......Hardins miniature ...this year.

I tried 2 plants in a 3 gallon with great results .
Old May 21, 2018   #465
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Yes Karen, it works.

Very nice work ....I can see I will have to change my thinking .....about our fine Island coast....and the tomato