Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 9, 2019   #61
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Any advice welcome.
I already looked at the thread you had in the tool section and even replied in it about the fire place tiles in the fir box.

First order of business and a huge fail on the manufacturers part.
You can build a fire in the main cooking chamber but no way to flush out the ashes.

Ashes will eat steel and make it rust they all have to be removed and flushed with water.
So since I have lathe I will make a drain hole in the bottom and turn the end of a 1 inch nut to fit tightly in that hole then TIG weld it in grind off excess so it matches radius of the bottom of the cooking chamber.
Most radius grinding will be done on a vise in the shop.
Lathe threaded rod with tee handle will serve as a plug.
OR I may install three vents under the main cooking area but that can come later.
Just need to see how it works as is.
Fire box bottom too thin but that is a no brainer to modify with a better fire box if need be when the time comes.
What I do like about the fire box is it is two piece and bolts to the main chamber.
Plus it has a place to grill steaks.
Before I bolt it on I will use some high temp RTV gasket compound but you wont see it bulging out like I have seen in the videos.
You're over thinking that problem. Build an ash pan out of thin metal so you can just dump it. Or stop by a mechanic shop and ask for an empty small lube barrel then cut it to fit in the bottom.

Here's the mods you should start with then tweak it as you go. I lowered my firebox instead of closing it off and added another exhaust stack at grate level. Once it's warmed up it stays about the same temp on both sides of the smoker.

I will say some people like hot and cooler spots on the smoker to shift different cuts of meat around.
Old January 9, 2019   #62
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

This is where I smoke my briskets, pork butts, etc.

Easy peasy and I haven't done anything yet that didn't come out good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pellet_smoker.jpg (15.7 KB, 97 views)
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2019   #63
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice!! I can see a pellet smoker in my future once I get tired of playing with fire.
Old January 11, 2019   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Deleted.

Last edited by Worth1; January 11, 2019 at 09:41 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #65
imp
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, your food always looks so yummy, it is almost scary!! I get hungry looking at your pictures, good thing we can't smell it, you'd have people coming to your house!!
Old January 12, 2019   #66
kunosoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
You're over thinking that problem. Build an ash pan out of thin metal so you can just dump it. Or stop by a mechanic shop and ask for an empty small lube barrel then cut it to fit in the bottom.

Here's the mods you should start with then tweak it as you go. I lowered my firebox instead of closing it off and added another exhaust stack at grate level. Once it's warmed up it stays about the same temp on both sides of the smoker.

I will say some people like hot and cooler spots on the smoker to shift different cuts of meat around.
Rajun, have you ever fiddled around with any of the reverse flow mods for offset smokers? That's always seemed like a logical idea to me. Am curious to know if you have any experience...
kunosoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The smoker had a drain on the end the only modification it needed was another thermometer on the right side which I installed before using.
Thing works great as is.
Kept moist with apple cider.
IMG_20190112_51280.jpg

IMG_20190112_12167.jpg

IMG_20190112_43934.jpg

IMG_20190112_0399.jpg

IMG_20190112_1265.jpg

IMG_20190112_25828.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; January 12, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old January 13, 2019   #68
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Worth and it looks like you have at least a weeks worth of meals already cooked.
Old January 14, 2019   #69
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunosoura View Post
Rajun, have you ever fiddled around with any of the reverse flow mods for offset smokers? That's always seemed like a logical idea to me. Am curious to know if you have any experience...
No I don't have a reverse flow and haven't used one but the concept makes sense. I thought about converting mine into a reverse flow when I did the mods but the plate I added to the side wasn't big enough for the new exhaust stack I bought to fit properly. Here's the thread with the mods I made.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47240

I have since added the other stack on the opposite side of the firebox and it's made a big difference holding heat inside. I run it with the new stack wide open and it has a better draw being bigger than the original. I especially like the fact the original stack is higher in the cooking chamber and when I throw a log on I crack it open too and flush the dirty smoke out faster.

I added more baffle plates and that holds heat great while allowing the smoke to move around the chamber.

I flipped the door around and it fit better that way, this also lowered the thermometer close to the grate level like it should be.

I'm still tinkering with it and next might be a new firebox made with 3/8" wall thickness pipe and maybe convert it to a reverse flow with a big water pan. The thought has occurred to build a nice insulated cabinet smoker to save room and be able to use it for slow smoking sausage too.
Old January 14, 2019   #70
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Rajun, your food always looks so yummy, it is almost scary!! I get hungry looking at your pictures, good thing we can't smell it, you'd have people coming to your house!!
Thanks Imp! I love to cook and eat good so it's all fun doing it.
Old January 14, 2019   #71
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, nice bark on that brisket. What temp did you bring it up to? I never saw a brisket that white on the inside so I'm curious.

I can see from the ribs and chicken you like more smoke than me unless this was a learning the pit cook and it got away from you. The best thing about learning a new pit is even if it doesn't come out the you want it's still good eats!!

How did the spatchcock chicken differ from the halves, is one juicier than the other?
Old January 14, 2019   #72
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Probably around 190.
The light it was under is an LED bright white really messes with the color of pictures I take.
Not really smokey or bitter at all, the wood was oak charcoal not briquets hickory wood and at the finish a little mesquite charcoal wood.
I laid down and took a nap when I woke up it was done.
The flat was a little dry on the end but I dont like that part anyway.

I have no idea which chicken was best I only ate a wing.
The Brest was juicy with the spatchcock though.
They were rubbed with red pepper brown sugar garlic powder salt and black pepper.

Every bit of the cook is going to work tomorrow and I dont care if I see it at home again.
Even going to bring take home bags.
Old January 15, 2019   #73
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The 190 is probably a reason too, I usually set the alarm at 199 and then start checking for probe tender before I pull it off and I always let it rest at least an hour.

I tried a few different bags of hardwood but I don't like the flavor, it gives off an odd flavor to my pallet.
Old January 15, 2019   #74
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, that food looks awesome and it's very nice of you to share with your co-workers. We never know how simple something we say or do becomes such a blessing to someone dealing with something they don't talk about.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #75
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It was on sale so I had to buy it. 1/2 price at wally World so go find it if you need one. https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=876324460

I bought it late this afternoon and had to do a fast and hot cook, it doesn't have a strong enough smoke flavor but it was good. Next time I'll follow directions just to see what flavor it brings.

This thing is bigger than it looks and will work great for smoking my sausage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3861.JPG (224.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3858.JPG (447.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3859.JPG (340.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3860.JPG (348.1 KB, 40 views)