Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 3, 2018   #16
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Being a relative newbie here, I'll go ahead and ask a stupid question: What's a "tumbler"?

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

a small tomato that hangs or tumbles from a hanging basket. more of a novelty than much production.

I grew Sweet Valentine this year... not impressed yet. it had a great write up...
Old July 4, 2018   #18
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Being a relative newbie here, I'll go ahead and ask a stupid question: What's a "tumbler"?
Tumblers are also called tumbling, or cascading, or trailing, or hanging basket tomatoes.

They're determinate tomatoes with extremely short internodes (sets of leaves are close together). Rather than a main stem, they look like they have lots of floppy stems coming out of a central hub.

The earliest mention I've found of one is "Tumbler" in the 1991 edition of "The Bedding Plant Expert" by D. G. Hessayon.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Maglia Rosa
That would be the best tasting one!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Thank you relative newbie!! Before that pic, I thought maybe they were talking a flipping basket like that topsy turvy 'as seen on tv' thing!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
a small tomato that hangs or tumbles from a hanging basket. more of a novelty than much production.

I grew Sweet Valentine this year... not impressed yet. it had a great write up...
I think a tumbler is any determinate cherry that has a soft or lax stem habit that allows it to drape if unsupported over the edge of a pot or basket without breaking. I disagree that they aren’t productive,
Many are very productive. For example, if you look closely at my photo you will Be able to see a LOT of cherry tomatoes already set and the plant continues to bloom. They also tend to be quite early as a rule and hanging tomato baskets are a hot seller at least in western Canada you will find them at every garden Center and they sell for about 35-50 $ for a nice one.
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Karen... Yours may be very productive and it obviously appears to be very productive.... Most all of the ones commercially available just are disappointing for production.
Old July 4, 2018   #23
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Always a mistake to purchase a 'patio' variety at BigBox. I did a test.

As I did 5-ish years ago. Never produced a fruit but filled out. That led to thinking I should/or
could not grow deck tomatoes....I now have, loose count, 36? dwarfs, two dozen micros...and
another later batch seeded micros, another 36-ish.

I've been here a dozen years and only grew some kitchen herbs having 5-7 hours of sun
depending on the sun position...and did succeed in the lower driveway for some cherry snackers
like SunGold.

I just start some early trays, under lights, then Spring sunny window....been picking nice tasty cherries
since mid June.

I seeded a tray of 6 varieties a couple weeks ago including MagliaRosa for Fall. I can bring them just inside
the deck sunny slider window if cold hits early. Then cull if no room. (seeds are cheap)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote