Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2022   #16
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that I've ever had this many tomatoes set this early. The cherries and early maturing ones are loaded with tomatoes, and the Marzano Fire are as well. The bigger heart and beefsteak types are loaded with blossoms, but not a lot of fruit yet. I did spot my first Giant Belgium today, so that's a plus.

Hot weather here made a lot of the early blossoms on the bigger type plants drop. So this last heat wave last week I watered daily, trying to get/keep the root zones cooler and I think it has helped.
Old June 28, 2022   #17
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

So many variables.

Where I am in Nor Cal we have Hella hot days, ( someone said God's pizza oven; I said the devil's) not too hot nights, minus humidity ( temps 102; feels like 100), plenty of wind, plant and cage shaking, bees and other pollinators, electric toothbrushes, twice daily drip irrigation, white mulch, and still some tomatoes setting fruit and some not.

And I'm still lurking about for ideas!

P.S. I set out plants 10 days late for me, all are in containers, and peppers are doing great.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 28, 2022 at 06:26 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2022   #18
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

In the good old days I would have 18oz tomatoes all the time until the heatwave hit,then the tomatoes would be 1/2 that size.
Maybe just too hot.
Bonnie once sent heatmaster to walmart here by mistake,never saw it again.
Was supposed to be good for hot climates.
Phoenix is another variety for hot climes but haven't seen that since the covid hit.

Last edited by slugworth; June 28, 2022 at 06:56 PM.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote