Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default looking for colored tomatoes

W/colored, black, brown, purple (if it exists), and green. No intederminates please; do container gardening and very limited space, so they're not an an option.

Doesn't really matter if it's a cherry or a slicer; would prefer cherry, less prone to diseases larger tomatoes (slicers) get, but slicer is fine.

Would prefer to avoid heirlooms, they seem very finicky w/growing, and growing hybrids is challenging enough.

Only varieties I've found are heirlooms or indeterminates.

Would prefer early maturing, as I have a short growing season. However late-maturing is fine.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I haven't found heirlooms to be at all finicky but I don't have much experience with hybrid varieties so maybe I don't have a good point of reference.
In fact, I'm growing Sungold for the first time this year and it's my first hybrid.
There aren't a ton of black and purple cherries but there are a few nice ones. They aren't hybrids, though.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2012   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you should look at the dwarf tomato project. There has been a number of varieties released out of it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeruni View Post
W/colored, black, brown, purple (if it exists), and green. No intederminates please; do container gardening and very limited space, so they're not an an option.

Only varieties I've found are heirlooms or indeterminates.
You have excluded pretty much every other option except the Dwarf project.

The Dwarf project is the crossing of large indeterminate heirloom tomato varieties of all different colors and taste profiles, with rugose dwarf tomato varieties that reach an average of 3-4 feet tall and produce well in containers.

There are something like 30 different varieties in development. Here you go.
Quote:
Would prefer early maturing, as I have a short growing season.
You don't ask for much.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

As my handle hints at, I've done a bit of container growing. I don't know why indeterminates are off your grow list. You can grow any tomato out there in a container of 5 gallons or more. If you are concerned with "lots of foliage", then do some light to moderate pruning. It really doesn't take much. One of the largest vines I've encountered is Yellow Pear. I've grown it as 3 plants in an 18 gallon decorative pot and had tons of tomatoes.

I DO concur with the folks above that you may find a good middle ground by choosing varieties from the Dwarf Project. There are Red, Pink, White, Yellow, Gold, Green, and Purple choices that are excellent tasting. The vines are compact and the yield is excellent.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #6
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it's fair to say hybrids are more resistent than heirlooms- that's not always the case. It really depends on the variety! I think most hybrids are red or yellow, I can't think of any hybrids that are black or green. I think you'll have to consider heirlooms- try different varieties, and see which are most disease resistent for you!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #7
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I know everyone says this but, if you haven't looked yet, make sure to try Tatiana's Tomatoes database. She has lists for container, determinate, dwarf and semi-determinate tomatoes, all of which are good options for your situation. Many of them have reviews from different people.

Here is a link. The lists by growth habit are about half way down. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...egory:Tomatoes

There are also lists by color if you would rather look that way. I could (and have) spend days on that site, just browsing and dreaming.

I do have to say that I have grown indeterminates in containers and while some can get rather large they seem to do okay. I wouldn't completely rule them out, although you might look for ones that tend to be on the smaller size. There are a few of those.

Good luck!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #8
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Um okay not to be rude or anything, and I'm really sorry if it comes off this way, but where on earth in the dwarf project do I look? There are sooo many different sub forums on that area of the forum I've not got a clue where to start looking.

There are also a slew of posts, so idk which post I should look at.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #9
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Reading about the dwarf project is amazing but daunting! Try this thread

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19549

which describes the released dwarf varieties and even has links to the vendors who are selling them. The following are others vendor sources selling the dwarfs who happen to be Tomatoville members. I have had great experiences with both of these member vendors!

Heritage Tomato Seed
Tatianna's TOMATObase

ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just call tne heirlooms hybrids all the big seed companies do.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Um okay not to be rude or anything, and I'm really sorry if it comes off this way, but where on earth in the dwarf project do I look? There are sooo many different sub forums on that area of the forum I've not got a clue where to start looking.

There are also a slew of posts, so idk which post I should look at.
The Dwarf Project is an effort to cross flavorful tomato varieties with "dwarf" tomato varieties to get compact plants with great flavor. The project started several years ago, and back then, you had to join the project and request varieties to "trial" in your garden.

But now, the first wave of successful Dwarves have been released for sale to the public through seed vendors. You don't have to join the Dwarf project to grow them anymore, you can just buy seeds from these vendors and plant them like any other tomato variety.

Dwarves grow especially well in 5-10 gallon containers and are mostly self-supporting 2 1/2 - 4' tall plants.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote