Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 7, 2017   #46
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Coyote I know well, and the history

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Coyote

But I can find no mention of a variety called Tropical Yellow anywhere.

Coyote does have a yellowish shade to it when in the sun so I'm wondering and suggesting that they are one and the same.

Carolyn
Carolyn -

Tropical Yellow is the code name I used for this line. I can make up a cuter name (something Caribbean) if you think that would be appropriate.

The variety came from a volunteer I found in 2008. It was very similar to a yellow, cherry-sized line of the Coyote X Florida Pink cross I was working with in the previous year, so I'm reasonably sure it was descended from that cross The only difference was the pink blush, which I didn't see in the cross. In any case, you could describe it as a cherry-sized variant of Coyote with a pink blush. It has the sweet taste of Coyote but less of the odd aftertaste.

As Starlight mentioned, it has good growth and productivity along with good taste and an attractive appearance, so I would recommend it to anyone who would like to try it.

Fred
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #47
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Carolyn -

Tropical Yellow is the code name I used for this line. I can make up a cuter name (something Caribbean) if you think that would be appropriate.

The variety came from a volunteer I found in 2008. It was very similar to a yellow, cherry-sized line of the Coyote X Florida Pink cross I was working with in the previous year, so I'm reasonably sure it was descended from that cross The only difference was the pink blush, which I didn't see in the cross. In any case, you could describe it as a cherry-sized variant of Coyote with a pink blush. It has the sweet taste of Coyote but less of the odd aftertaste.

As Starlight mentioned, it has good growth and productivity along with good taste and an attractive appearance, so I would recommend it to anyone who would like to try it.

Fred
Maybe Tropical Mango, if that name not taken. That sorta what the taste reminds me of, a sweet mango.

The Coyote x Fl. Pink are starting to blush and turn. Surprise, surprise! One F3, #3 plant is making orange/red fruits that are smooth.

The last three pics are of one F3#1 plant is making bright yellow fruits they have a small amount of ribbing/fluting.

Maybe tomorrow if we have some more sun before the rains come again, will have turned so I can see what color the really ribbed, fluted ones will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July92017 009.JPG (135.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg July92017 010.JPG (159.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg July92017 011.JPG (141.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg July92017 012.JPG (145.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg July92017 013.JPG (143.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg July92017 014.JPG (167.6 KB, 129 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #48
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Sara Black

A lovely medium size tomato. Made alot of foliage before finally making tomatoes.
I haven't grown or eaten to many blacks before, mainly just small types, so waiting to see what this one tastes like.

Usually blacks have problems here in South with blight and Gray Mold, but just gave this plant, along with the others, major haircuts to blush faster and no sign of any disease problems at all on Sara Black. I'm impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July72017 005.JPG (130.5 KB, 103 views)
Old July 14, 2017   #49
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacon Jewel

Had a tint bit of trouble at first with this one. It was because it doesn't like days and days of rain. Likes to be a bit on drier side. Surprisingly when others were getting the odd BER tomato this one didn't.

This tomato reminds me of a beautiful sunset when it starts blushing. it has red, yellow and orange sort of stripes when it starts and finishes off a red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes 041.JPG (122.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg tomatoes 042.JPG (106.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg July112017 012.JPG (110.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg July112017 013.JPG (94.9 KB, 103 views)
Old July 14, 2017   #50
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Italian Market Wonder

Haven't figured out what the wonder is supposed to be, hopefully it in the flavor. A later tomato for me and a bit chintzy on the tomatoes so far, but it could be because it in such a small container even though the plant huge.

Makes nice size med/small tomatoes so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July112017 002.JPG (121.1 KB, 99 views)
Old July 14, 2017   #51
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Happy Jack

My oh my! Talk about a heart with heart, this one has it. Kinda hard to tell from pics, but this one has some huge tomatoes. Have lots of strings to try and hold it up. Can't wait to see what it weighs in as. Wouldn't be surprised if they weigh in over a pound or darn close to it.

Happy Jack makes hearts that look like a real heart shape. This one making own heart go pitter patter. I think I'm in love with this tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July112017 015.JPG (102.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Happy Jack 001.JPG (124.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Happy Jack 004.JPG (130.3 KB, 100 views)
Old July 14, 2017   #52
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
A lovely medium size tomato. Made alot of foliage before finally making tomatoes.
I haven't grown or eaten to many blacks before, mainly just small types, so waiting to see what this one tastes like.

Usually blacks have problems here in South with blight and Gray Mold, but just gave this plant, along with the others, major haircuts to blush faster and no sign of any disease problems at all on Sara Black. I'm impressed.
There's a darn good reason why you haven't seen any foliage diseases on Sara Black, at least so far.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara_Black

Sara Black and the other Saras you see at Tania's were bred by Joe Bratka,he had a little trick that he shared with my that he used to get get good X pollination when breeding,not just his Sara's but many more varieties he bred..

He bred many sara thises and that's in different colors and gave them fictious histories to indicate they were heirlooms from Germany.

At one time Joe had said if folks want heirlooms,I'll breed them, and he did.

All I'll say is that his little trick was to put pollen on the stigma,along with the desired pollen,from another Genus and species of tomato.

I rest my case.

Joe died a few years ago and his niece appeared here asking if anyone could send her seeds of what her Uncle grew.I knew Joe for a very long time and he not once referred to a niece.

I could list the ones he had that really were from Germany but I've done that many times before so no need to do it again as I see it.

Carolyn
Old July 14, 2017   #53
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My oh my! Talk about a heart with heart, this one has it. Kinda hard to tell from pics, but this one has some huge tomatoes. Have lots of strings to try and hold it up. Can't wait to see what it weighs in as. Wouldn't be surprised if they weigh in over a pound or darn close to it.

Happy Jack makes hearts that look like a real heart shape. This one making own heart go pitter patter. I think I'm in love with this tomato.
Those are some beautiful hearts Starlight! They look very similar to a variety I'm growing in my garden!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #54
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
There's a darn good reason why you haven't seen any foliage diseases on Sara Black, at least so far.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara_Black

Sara Black and the other Saras you see at Tania's were bred by Joe Bratka,he had a little trick that he shared with my that he used to get get good X pollination when breeding,not just his Sara's but many more varieties he bred..

He bred many sara thises and that's in different colors and gave them fictious histories to indicate they were heirlooms from Germany.

At one time Joe had said if folks want heirlooms,I'll breed them, and he did.

All I'll say is that his little trick was to put pollen on the stigma,along with the desired pollen,from another Genus and species of tomato.

I rest my case.

Joe died a few years ago and his niece appeared here asking if anyone could send her seeds of what her Uncle grew.I knew Joe for a very long time and he not once referred to a niece.

I could list the ones he had that really were from Germany but I've done that many times before so no need to do it again as I see it.

Carolyn
Too bad he passed away. Would have been nice to learn if it really came from his grandmother or him. Still a nice looking plant and tomatoes. Hope it tastes good too.

Yep, I was the Wanted forums all the time in case I have something somebody wants and I remember that person wanting his seeds and you mentioning then that you didn't know anything about a niece, so I didn't offer her a few of these seeds I had extra. Figured you knew best and I didn't know the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Those are some beautiful hearts Starlight! They look very similar to a variety I'm growing in my garden!
Thanks! Your Dotson is too. Your plant really outshines mine. Unbelievable growth and yield on yours.
Old July 14, 2017   #55
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Southern Belle

Got seeds from this one from a swap. When I googled at the time all I could find was this from the person selling seeds at the time.

From seller, " Rare Heirloom grown in Savannah since the 1700's
The story: This rich red heirloom was grown in a Savannah garden after the lady of the mansion was believed
to have had a brief affair with an Italian lover...........a man who was an importer of Italian vegetable seeds!"

Later I found a discussion thread on another site about this one and some controversy about it. Think the main thing was some folks thought it was one tomato being renamed.

Whatever its real story, not one I would grow again and I haven't even tasted the tomatoes yet. Big huge plant. Was lots of PL foliage til I gave it a haircut and only two tomatoes so far. Maybe it just doesn't like it here. This one been to much work for too little tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July112017 008.JPG (117.6 KB, 92 views)
Old July 15, 2017   #56
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default For Fred B

Ok Fred these pics for you. Gonna be the last pics of these as all the tomatoes the same now and first batch getting ready to ferment and save seed for you.

The Coyote x Florida Pinks have ripened.

From all the F's, three distinct shapes and colors have developed.

Sorry pics are kinda dark. Haven't learned to take good ripe pics yet.

The three shapes are :

1. The yellow which produces either solid yellow or yellow with faint red blushing on bottom. Tomatoes are all 1" to 1 1/4". I tasted one of the solid yellow and one of the yellow with the slight blushing bottom. The taste was extra sweet when you first start eating them, but then it leaves a weird after taste in your mouth. Took several big gulps of coffee to get rid of it. Don't really know how to describe it. Not one I would like to eat again. Not sure if the next generation will taste better or not.

2. The what I call beefysteak shaped ones. They all have some ribbing on the tops. These tomatoes are twice the size of the other two colors. Can't see the colors good, but they not a red color on the outside like most tomatoes. You know how leaves in the fall when they changing colors have that reddish autumn look to them. That's what these do. Looks like a plate of Autumn sunset.

What's funny is this is the F plants that all made the "teeth" on the bottom. All the plants of this one made a tooth or two on the bottom. Funny how most of those teeth didn't ripen. Tasted two and they sweet. Nice and juicy, and good amount of seed to the outside edge. No bad aftertaste. I liked them, but...

3. This is my favorite. Oh yes! Yes! Yes! The smooth ones. Meaty, juicy and sweet. A really full flavored little beefsteak type that makes you want to just eat the whole plate. This is one you should really keep seed from and grow out some more. They only about and 1" big, but they packed with that real tomato flavor. No bad after taste. Leaves you wanting more.

I know that if I don't hurry and get the seed from this one fermented, you won't have seed. I'll have eaten them all they that good and addictive.

Pics are in order of the above numbers and tried to get you one group shot.

Enjoy and thank you for letting me grow them out for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July152017 003.JPG (121.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 007.JPG (83.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 004.JPG (103.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 005.JPG (93.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 002.JPG (102.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 008.JPG (111.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg July152017 001.JPG (123.2 KB, 85 views)
Old July 15, 2017   #57
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the great pictures! I agree that the aftertaste that you found in the yellow ones is unpleasant. The good news is it's a dominant trait, so you might find some in the next generation that don't have it.

The #3 type is a beefsteak, so it will have an external stigma and will tend to cross with other tomatoes. Do you bag your seed tomatoes to prevent out-crossing? If you haven't done it before, I can explain how.

Fred
Old July 15, 2017   #58
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Maybe Tropical Mango, if that name not taken. That sorta what the taste reminds me of, a sweet mango.

The Coyote x Fl. Pink are starting to blush and turn. Surprise, surprise! One F3, #3 plant is making orange/red fruits that are smooth.

The last three pics are of one F3#1 plant is making bright yellow fruits they have a small amount of ribbing/fluting.

Maybe tomorrow if we have some more sun before the rains come again, will have turned so I can see what color the really ribbed, fluted ones will be.
Starlight -

I'm still trying to come up with a good name for the tomato formerly known as Tropical Yellow. I wanted something musical, but Calypso and Marimba are already taken. Maybe "Yellow Bird", after a calypso song recorded by Harry Belafonte.

Fred
Old July 15, 2017   #59
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Thanks for the great pictures! I agree that the aftertaste that you found in the yellow ones is unpleasant. The good news is it's a dominant trait, so you might find some in the next generation that don't have it.

The #3 type is a beefsteak, so it will have an external stigma and will tend to cross with other tomatoes. Do you bag your seed tomatoes to prevent out-crossing? If you haven't done it before, I can explain how.

Fred
Glad you got the same taste results on the yellow as I did.

Hummmm. I'll have to go out and look at the blossoms. I admit I didn't even think too much about looking at the flower blooms closely. Sorry about that.

Thanks for offering to help, but I do know how to bag. I'll bag when I see the blossoms first forming and then when I see a tomato has formed and set than I will remove the bags and just keep track of the bagged ones for saving. Once I have some bagged seed then the rest I just let do whatever. If I don't remove the bags the humidity down here will cause the fruit to start to rot and mold all on the bags. So, you'll get seed that been bagged and some that not.

The not ones may throw a few surprises if there any crossing there. They were grown by Eli, Mega Marv, and Dixie Golden Giant, all huge beefsteaks.
Old July 23, 2017   #60
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Finally getting around to starting to take some ready fruit pics. Only can do a couple at a time. Way too hot out there, now that sun is out, plus I need more batteries.

First up Leadbetter Lunker. This tomato was the first to fruit and is one of the last coming off the vine. Average weight is around one pound to one and a half pounds. The first tomato and last to pic is weighing almost 2 lbs. it ended up being my biggest tomato ever. No wonder it took forever to ripen. I can barely hold it with one hand. All in all not bad, about two months from 4" tall set out plants at beginning of May in 3 gallon pot. One of the few that didn't get a single BER tomato either.

Well worth the wait. One I'll grow again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July23,2017 010.JPG (116.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg July23,2017 011.JPG (114.4 KB, 62 views)