Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 30, 2016   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Hey Let your Tomatoes Do the Talking ! and sell themselves

in worst case scenario defend themselves ...LOL
Old June 30, 2016   #17
Isabelle
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure you're not the only one who thought the man was a nut. My guess is everyone that he spouted off to about you thought he was ridiculous. With people like that, there's no need to argue with them- they do a fine job of making a fool of themselves.
Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

ha. That's even uglier than the Black Amber I made a thread about.

Two unique circumstances about me in regard to physical confrontations are #1 - I'm a former mma fighter, and #2 - I also have a law degree. So I have both the ability to hurt people, and the education to understand the vastly negative consequences of doing so. The net result is that I am a very difficult person with whom to pick a fight.

One of the things I learned from mma is that appearances are deceiving. Sure, some fighters like having tattoos and purple mo-hawk haircuts. But the best fighters I knew never cared about having a menacing appearance. A lot of them looked like innocent choir boys. But they would have just annihilated an untrained opponent, one of any size.

There was a video going around last week of a 6' 6" drunk guy picking a fight outside a bar with a 5' 4" 150 pound little guy...who happened to be a Gracie purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Big guy got put in a guillotine choke and left laying unconscious on the sidewalk. No permanent harm done, by the way, he woke up after just a brief nap. One of the great things about training martial arts is that you not only learn to defend yourself, but you can do so without seriously hurting the person who is attacking you.

So all of that helps with my calm demeanor about confrontations. That guy at market didn't come looking for a physical fight. But he was certainly scared of one from my 300+ lb step dad. He moved like the wind when stepdad told him to leave.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #19
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Hey Let your Tomatoes Do the Talking ! and sell themselves

in worst case scenario defend themselves ...LOL

I told you that wasn't nitrogen you put on the plants!Now, you'll have orthodontist's bills for the tomatoes.

Cole, sorry some one acted the fool, but you did get free entertainment out of it. <grin>
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is one of the reason Farmers' Markets are so frustrating. It is very hard for managers to control supply when most farmers want to bring things like tomatoes.

We left our last farmers' market at the end of last year, and I miss a few customers, but certainly not most of them, and I certainly don't miss the inefficiency built into selling that way (unless one has a completely unique product, and can set the price in a way that has no relation to other growers at the market.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like they are like swap meets or flea markets.
I have yet to even by anything from one.
-------------------------------------------------

I have always wondered why large people aromatically think their size is an automatic winner for them.
I have worked around people like that, always bragging about their size like they are invincible.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #22
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I told you that wasn't nitrogen you put on the plants!Now, you'll have orthodontist's bills for the tomatoes.

Cole, sorry some one acted the fool, but you did get free entertainment out of it. <grin>
The good people at Monsanto assured me they were a quality product .....

what could go wrong ??? LOL
Old June 30, 2016   #23
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Not necessarily about size. In this specific situation and when people are trying to play the "crazy" card, they tend not to do it around you if you're a larger person. Something about the testosterone visually-based pecking order. Works the same if you show no fear at the approaching whacko, irrespective of your size.

It's fun to get choked out by a smaller person; krav maga sure is fun too. Ah the good ol' days.

As C-R said, best to avoid all confrontations, and just in case remember not to leave any marks.

He was probably angrier at his product not being up to par.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #24
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Here is a bummer, do not say the price, ask the customer what they will pay for your tomatoes...
Sometimes they will pay more than what you will ask. Cut small slices and offer to taste.

mmm... will make talking for you

that kind of challenge for your competitors is the kick in the b...

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #25
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Gerardo, you've read my mind. I have a psycho little dweeb neighbor. Always in my face over nothing. I was just thinking yesterday, "I'll bet if I had a six-footer next to me (a husband or boyfriend) the little sh** wouldn't come after me like this".
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of the crazy card, crazy trumps big. It's like paper-rock-scissors. Anyone crazy and big will be the top dog, but that is a rare combination. (I'm thinking Gerardo is down, though, he's my pick if we ever pick teams and rumble. But if Worth isn't on the same team, I'm probably going to run away, sorry Gerardo)

There was one guy this spring who came out to my greenhouse to buy super-hot pepper plants. He was not big at all, 5'7" and 150 pounds or so. But as soon as I started talking to the guy, I got this feeling of being scared of him, which is really rare with me. I'm bigger than him; I'm the mma fighter; but when I looked into his eyes, he was honestly terrifying to me. And he was as nice as he could be. It was just the look in his eyes that scared me.

It turns out, after talking to him for a while, he had spent most of his adult life in Menard State Penitentiary for meth. I'm not sure he was fully recovered when he came to buy plants from me. My intuition was right - he was good choice to be scared of.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So loving this thread.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Speaking of the crazy card, crazy trumps big. It's like paper-rock-scissors. Anyone crazy and big will be the top dog, but that is a rare combination. (I'm thinking Gerardo is down, though, he's my pick if we ever pick teams and rumble. But if Worth isn't on the same team, I'm probably going to run away, sorry Gerardo)

There was one guy this spring who came out to my greenhouse to buy super-hot pepper plants. He was not big at all, 5'7" and 150 pounds or so. But as soon as I started talking to the guy, I got this feeling of being scared of him, which is really rare with me. I'm bigger than him; I'm the mma fighter; but when I looked into his eyes, he was honestly terrifying to me. And he was as nice as he could be. It was just the look in his eyes that scared me.

It turns out, after talking to him for a while, he had spent most of his adult life in Menard State Penitentiary for meth. I'm not sure he was fully recovered when he came to buy plants from me. My intuition was right - he was good choice to be scared of.

Crazy and big is a lethal-mutation, you don't make it past your teen years.

And it's great your spidey sense works, it's an eerie feeling to be around people that can gut you like a fish and not blink and eye. I've met plenty of those around here, and know exactly what you're talking about. The caveat is they normally get treated badly by people, so if you're nice and treat them like your spidey sense isn't buzzing away, they immediately sense it and appreciate it. I've had those bad ppl pull me out of the flames because I was nice to them at some point.

Deb, get a taser and if he starts mouthing off again and violates your personal space get him right where it counts (no warning, just surprise your junk has electricity running through it) and call the constables on patrol, they will be on your side.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I came home one day and the neighbor lady had some guy working on her garage door.
He looked crazy and was.
First he started in on politics and then it was religion and then he got started in on how messed up the world was.
Then he started talking about animals not having rights and how stupid people were that thought animals had rights.
That is when I said I thought animals had rights and he exploded and came across the yard on me shaking his fist and flapping his arms in the air like a wild man.
I was not talking to this guy all I said was hello and he started preaching to me.
There was also a nut in town that had a muffler shop that was the same way.
Then I remember a guy I knew named Ed.
As far as he was concerned there was a government spook behind every bush spying on him.
If he heard a helicopter he would run behind a wall or bush and look at it through binoculars.
He was trying to get a militia started but was too crazy for crazy people to want to be around him.
We always said that if the president came to town they were going to lock him up till the president left town.

The last time I saw him he had started a print shop and he asked me to come look at something in back.
He had a pile of $100 bills printed out on one side.
Just fooling around he said.
Yeah what ever Ed I am out of here.
This guy and his wife were full fledged nuts and they had two kids that I think were nuts two.
Nuts have a certain look about them and I can spot them a mile away for the most part.
As for prison that does something to some people for the rest of their lives.
I have worked with two guys that were good friends that went to prison and got out.
One was just the same as he was when he went in because he was too crazy for it to effect him the other was a different man.
He had the thousand yard stare.
But I can say one thing both of these guys had their jobs waiting on them when they got out.

I dont know what the deal is with me though.
I am only 5.7 and I dont act like a tough guy nor do I have a short mans attitude.
In my adult life I have only hit two people.
One big guy was tilling me what he was going to do to me in front of his Detroit gang buddies in the Marines.
While he was telling me this I busted his nose.

Yesterday I had a young gal follow me around in Lowes she worked there.
She was always trying to help me find something.
Then she said dont forget your glasses.
Well I waked away and came back to where I had set my glasses and they were gone.
Then later on she came running up to me with my glasses telling me she was keeping them for me so I wouldn't lose them.
I am telling you this young lady never left my side and was always finding an excuse to be around me.
Very strange.
I have had many people say that when the S hits the fan they want to be with me.
I don't get this, I see myself as a scardy cat.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #30
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
Always remember appearance is everything. They may drive a $50K car but nine out of ten are financed up to 95% and many are not owned but lease. Most of these folks are leveraged to the hilt! Many times the individuals driving the $18K car are the ones with the true liquid assets...
Farmers in North America are making these people's loan payments by selling cheap food is one way to look at this. Why farmers are expected to subsidize everyone is unfathomable.

About 30 years ago I helped to establish a farmers market when it was the only one in the area. Now as someone else said, almost one every day of the week somewhere around here.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote